Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-31-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
Going to try a wakeskate this weekend. Pondering trying to go W2W with it. Does anybody have any tips to remember so i dont look any more stupid in attempting this than i have to? Thanks in advance!
Old     (showtime)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-31-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
try to grab the board....
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-31-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
if you have not ever wakeskated before, I'd take a step back and work on the basics. On a wakeboard, it doesn't seem like a big deal to charge in and just try and huck yourself across the wake. But if your technique isn't right on a wakeskate, you may end up with a one foot on, one foot off situation, in which bad things can happe (broken femur, blown apart knee, etc).

Otherwise, if you have good edge control on your board and you think that you've progressed enough to the point to where you're ready, make sure you take a progressive cut into the wake and ollie off of the top of the wake. that part is important. And ABSOLUTELY COMMIT TO THE JUMP.

Good luck, and respect the board you ride...
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-31-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
Chef,
I agree completely. I'm definetely not one to charge in and attempt anything stupid. I've seen several really nasty wakeskate crashes, mostly on video, but thats besides the point. I'm going to try crusing around on it first and foremost, but if its really goin good, just considering trying it. I appreciate the info though! So its more of an ollie? I didnt think it'd be like a straight legged wakeboard jump.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-31-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
it's definitely not like like wakeboarding. I know you could use an ollie technique on a wakeboard, but when I used to ride, I did more of the graceful "standing broad jump" (as tony finn would describe it:-) type thing. If you do that on a wakeskate, you will loose the board. The ollie style will keep that board with your feet.

If you can already ollie, maybe try to get a feeling for everything by either trying to boost off of the start up roller, or even starting out with some one wake jumps (just so you can figure out how to pop off the wake). I swear, building a foundation in wakeskating will benefit you in the end when it comes to board control and I guess intelligent progression. If you have those fundamentals and put them all together, it makes the next logical trick (based on your bag of skills) that much easier.

But this is what I believe and ultimately, we do what we want. But I don't want to read about you breaking your leg or something.

Anyway, definitely make sure you're confident, and like I said, commit to the jump.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-31-2007, 12:10 PM Reply   
I believe the same thing with the wakeboard (as far as progression goes). Thanks alot man, i appreciate it, and i'll make sure i remember those tips this weekend when/if i get ballsy enough to try to wake it!
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       08-31-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
don't even think about it, i'd say make your last jump a big one, but work on ollies, lipslides... and do some 1 wake jumps... plus you'll find the skate is much more slickery your first time out... at least thats what happened to me

and listen to esnow, he's pretty much the alpha omega of wakeskating information

seriously...
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-31-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
Haha, seems like the consensus is starting to vote against the wake 2 wake attempt... Sound logic definetely noted fersure! I appreciate all the input, I've never tried to wakeskate, and didnt know how well a background in wakeboarding would translate over, so its great to have some insight.
Old     (wakeboarddrumma)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-31-2007, 1:54 PM Reply   
I will be riding my Catalyst for the first time this weekend as well. I plan on just cruising and maybe try a one wake jump, but i plan on wakeboarding more than wake skating.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       08-31-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
I dont plan on switching my wakeboard for wakeskating ever, but i figured they got one out there, might as well give 'er a try and see what its all about.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       08-31-2007, 2:35 PM Reply   
bring the rope in about 5 ft and slow down a little. Also try jumping heelside first and really suck your legs up. Doing one wake jumps first helps and also inside out jumps helps.
If you can get smooth water it is definately easier. Rough water on a skate isn't really worth it.
Good luck!!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       08-31-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
electricsnow is a lady bird.
Old     (chris_williams)      Join Date: May 2007       08-31-2007, 3:08 PM Reply   
Go out and good good at reg ollies, switch ollies, both ollie 180's, all the lipslides and boardslides then start maybe try to start popping off the wake some. Have fun and learn to control and keep that board under you.
Old     (spenchey)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-01-2007, 6:00 AM Reply   
i'm going to try to learn a raley this weekend but on the wakeskate first. i don't wakeskate that much and haven't gone w2w on one before, but i have done surface 180 and 3s. could i still learn the raley on the wakeskate with out killing myself?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-01-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
That was also on my list of things to try. It's helpful to start learning on a wakeskate because you can still get the motion of the raley, and the extension, pull your feet forward for the landing, but if its just YOU and no board attached to your feet, the landing will me alot less painful while your learning. I've heard that recommded alot from people.
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-01-2007, 9:14 AM Reply   
esnow is a peacock, except when he shows his feathers, they blind you with their beauty and doves come flying around to show esnow in all his glory!!!

but ya, i'd say try a raley on a skate because without huuurts.. hopefully i'll have the raley by wednesday
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-01-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   
ben
dont listen to them, dont be a puss and just take some steps. jump half the wake then just go for the gold thats what i did and i can do it know.. most the time you dont crash to hard you just slip out and fall. give it a go. just cut in and when you take off on a wakeboard, you dont half to ollie just make sure that the board is going to point up just slightly to keep the board under you if you take off and if you let the nose go downits going to fly out from under you. just go for it, show your friends how its done.. and trust me when you land it you will be so stocked on how crazy it was.lol
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-01-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
yeah, just listen to micheal.
[qoute]just go for it, show your friends how its done[/quote]
its all about impressing friends. dont worry about style or progression. all you need to learn are kickflips and w2w
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-01-2007, 3:27 PM Reply   
dude, kickflips are so old mitch! if you really wanna impress em go for a double kickflip in the flats and after flex a little bit
Old     (spin2win)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-01-2007, 3:53 PM Reply   
i learned w2w jumps in 2 days. if you have a skate background its pretty easy. If you cant do it on a wakeboard dont even attempt it. Also dont try to pull something out of your butt. If you are going to fall then fall its not worth the torn acl mcl exc. trying to pull it off. Try and keep your knees bent in the air. It will help suck the board into your feet. If you dont then you will not land it.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-01-2007, 9:49 PM Reply   
Thanks ya'll! I'll be boarding most of the day tomorrow, but i'll let you all know how my first wakeskate experience goes. As well as the "Wake 2 Wake Wakeskate Attempt"!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-02-2007, 4:10 PM Reply   
Well, got off the lake a little while ago. Tried the wake to wake twice, first time, didnt get a whole lot of lift, second time i cleared the wake but slipped out with the board on the other side. I always gave credit to those who wakeskate, but now i definetey will alot more. While i'm sticking to my board, wakeskating is definetey narly. Thanks for all the tips and advice!