Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-18-2009, 4:58 PM Reply   
I'm considering going out for some primitive shore camping. Anybody have any suggestions on areas of the lake that are better than others?
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-18-2009, 6:55 PM Reply   
I see more goes shore camping by the Mocassin end of the lake. I think the shores aren't as steep and probably less windy.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-19-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
There are a few great spots...

The center bay near the waterfall has a lot of good shore camping. Depending on water level there are a few islands there that you can get in behind to shield yourself from wind and boat wakes.

The other spot that's really good is up toward the no-tow zone/bass fishing area. If you head up that way there are some bays on the left that are nice and protected.

It really all depends on water level, but there are a ton of great shore camping spots. We used to do that all the time when I was young. Now were too lazy to load the boat up and haul all our stuff out there.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-19-2009, 10:56 AM Reply   
drop in at moccasin pt. Go left out- marina will be on your left side.
after the 5mph bouys go left.
go straight under the first bridge, and continue straight until you see the bridge on your left - make left and go under that bridge and go straight down the canyon, at end of the canyon - youll pass 2 half moon coves on your right - after you pass the second one - youll see a great off shore camping area on the right(about 2oclock) Great spot to boat camp.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-19-2009, 11:45 AM Reply   
Thanks all for the tips. Evan, where is the no-tow / bass fishing area? I, too, am lazy, except now my kids (aka boy slaves) do the haulin'...

Migs- that sounds like "wreck bay"? The map even shows a land based bathroom. Thanks for the tip.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-19-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
steve,
yes, there is a concrete made porto-potty at that site and a bunch of flat tent areas and some picnic tables. Great spot & quiet - ive only shared that entire spot once with another family in many years. Heres some pics I have of that spot.

Upload
Upload
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-19-2009, 12:38 PM Reply   
I used to know the names of the bays, but it's been a while. The bass fishing area is closer to Flemming Meadows. Head out of the five, directly across the main bay..... kinda veering to the left. Lot's of great camping over there. No facilities, though there is a floating porta-poty right at the entrance to the bass fishing area. Great riding there early in the morning, too. If you grab a map at the marina it'll show the fishing area.

Where Migs is talking about is good, too. The first spot that I described is close to there. A bit further up on your left side when you come out of the canyon and start heading toward the Flemming Meadows side of the lake. It's in the big wide open bay. The water falls are also on a lake map. That's great camping over there.
Old     (ss1234)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-19-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
Evan-
got it...Big Creek. thanks