Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-17-2006, 8:18 AM Reply   
I wasn't planning on it taking a full week for the dealership to take to winterize the boat which is what they told me how long it would take so I'm thinking about taking this on myself. Not sure what step to take or if it should leave it for them but any help would be awesome.
Old     (greenthumb)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-17-2006, 8:39 AM Reply   
It literally took my dealership/marina ten minutes to summerize the boat. A week seems like they are super busy or super lazy.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-17-2006, 9:01 AM Reply   
1. Replace drain plugs on the motor and in the hull.
2. Make sure oil is up to the full mark and the oil and filters are new.
3. Replace coolant impleller or install impeller, as appropriate.
4. Make sure battery is fully charged.
5. Inspect prop and make sure all is tight.
6. Make sure rudder works freely.
7. If possible, start with fake-a-lake and run for 5-10 minutes. Check oil and battery voltage.
8. Make sure all safety equipment is onboard and properly stowed. Fire extenguisher check.
9. Make sure the trailer bearings are greased and road ready. A short, 10 mile trip or so. Feel the wheel bearings at the end to see if they are hot. If hot, repack or replace.
10. Make sure your registration for both boat and trailer is current. Insurance current?
11. Make sure your winch works, lube in any case. Tie downs? If rachet type, lube.
12. Dunk her and have fun.
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-17-2006, 12:02 PM Reply   
yea a week seemed a little too much to me...I think i can handle all of the above or can most certainly get free help in doing so. Thanks a lot karl.
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-23-2006, 11:28 AM Reply   
so i went to the dealership today to talk to one of the guys just to get an idea of the whole summerizing process...well for starters they were not helpful whatsoever and seemed to make it look like its this grueling task that only they should take on. And the reason for it taking so long is because they have to go over the whole boat and they clean it, which still doesn't register with me on why it would take a week because they didn't seem to busy. But they explained that it take them a full day to get the boat ready and that if i didn't need them to clean(which i dont) that would take off half a day...im stuck on what to do here haha. any detailed help with the engine stuff would be helpful, they said you have to change the spark plugs? and maybe with the hard tanks in the hull you have to inspect them? I'm still confused. any help would be awesome
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-23-2006, 1:17 PM Reply   
You do NOT have to change the sparkplugs. I would do it yourself or find a dealership who is not lying to you.
Old     (grenade)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-23-2006, 1:59 PM Reply   
thats the problem, there aren't any other dealers...would a reg boat dealer, not a skiboat dealer be able to do it?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-23-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
You could always ask. I am 99% sure that any boat dealership could dewinterize the boat for you.
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-23-2006, 11:06 PM Reply   
it should take less than 2 hours to summerize a boat!