Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-07-2003, 9:30 AM Reply   
I had my water pump replaced at the end of last season, and had the boat in the water on Sunday this week. Everything ran fine, and my alternator is producing a charge and all, but it's making some "clunking" sounds at idle. Was thinking the a bearing in the alt is going out on it?

Can I replace it with a stock automotive alternator? It's an Indmar Monsoon 310hp (Chevy 350).

Thanks
Old    leggester            04-07-2003, 9:47 AM Reply   
The alternator is making clunking sounds? I'd think you'd smell burned bearing first.

How're the belts, any fraying? Could be pulleys or pulley bearings also.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-07-2003, 10:47 AM Reply   
Sounds like its coming from the alternator. It's not a loud clunking, very light. Belt is brand new when they did the water pump.
Old    leggester            04-07-2003, 10:50 AM Reply   
Ouch. If you cna pull the alternator, a lot of auto parts shops can test it for you to see if it's going bad.
Old    kmc            04-07-2003, 12:11 PM Reply   
Check the belt tension. If they really cranked on the alternator when they tightened it, that will definitely put excessive strain on the bearings.
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-07-2003, 1:45 PM Reply   
Matt: Not a bad idea.
Ken: That was my next move, to lighten the tension and see if the problem persists.

Do either of you know if I can use a stock auto parts version of the alternator?
Old    leggester            04-07-2003, 2:40 PM Reply   
I don't know, you can get by with one, but I do like marine parts for this application.
Old    sickboy            04-08-2003, 9:27 AM Reply   
John-
I think you need to get one thats Coast Guard approved. These are sealed units made specifically for boats. You really don't want any sparks in the engine compartment...

mb
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-08-2003, 10:36 AM Reply   
You absolutely want to get a sealed marine unit.

I shopped around and finally bought one from these folks last year:

Pearland Alternator Company Inc.
1221 N.Main St.
Pearland Texas 77581
TOLL FREE NUMBER
1-800-966-6672

http://www.palcoelectric.com/

The sold me a new alternator for my X-Star for about $140 or so (can't remember the exact price). They even helped me pick out a model that put out 20 extra amps over the stocker 51 amp. Same brand, same mounting position, just dropped it right in.

I was able to buy a brand new model from these guys for what it would have cost to rebuild mine.
They shipped it out very quickly and I got it in about 2-3 days.

Have your brand of alternator and model number available when you call and they can help you out very quickly.

P.S. You will have to swap the drive pulley over from your old unit.