Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    lakeside5_10            05-15-2008, 4:56 AM Reply   
i have not seen and instructions on how much f to mix per quart of RR resin , anyone have info on this .
i know that you mix the resin at 2-1

thanks
mark
Old    surfdad            05-15-2008, 5:34 AM Reply   
You better not be mixing up a quart of resin on that little board of yours! :-)

General guideline as you mix your epoxy:

1cc of additive F per ounce of hardener (not resin) for laminations.
2cc of additive F per ounce of hardener for gloss/hotcoat.

Add the additive F right after you pour in the hardener and then mix.
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-15-2008, 6:29 AM Reply   
Hey Mark,

Jeff is right on the amounts of Add F.

As for your resin mix it is 2 to 1 by volume
OR
100 to 45 by weight if you are using a scale. I use a postal scale and big plastic cups from the grocery store ($1.50 for a big bag of them). Since the cups aren't marked /calibrated I use the 100 / 45 ratio --- i.e. 10oz of resin / 4.5 oz of hardener.

The other cool thing about the cups is you can use two of them. Pour your cocktail in one cup - mix it a little, then pour into another. since the resin is heaver it tends to settle at the bottom. this is a little method i use to ensure the cocktail mixes up nicely without inducing too many bubbles into the mix.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-15-2008, 6:35 AM Reply   
i had trouble with the add f, because it was not completely clear after i mixed it, has anyone else had this trouble?
Old    lakeside5_10            05-15-2008, 6:40 AM Reply   
thanks , so you think a pint mixed per side will be enough, i will go with 6x6 oz. eglass warp on top and 6 oz. on bottom. also do you guys use football patches on top of your fin boxes or just the one 6 oz of glass will be good
Old    surfdad            05-15-2008, 7:38 AM Reply   
It's my understanding that Additive F is xylene and parrafin wax in a 9 to 1 mix. I know of board builders that make their own with this exact mix. The xylene will dissolve the parrafin into solution, no need for special chemistry to make it. However like Joe points out it does cloud the resin. The RR folks claim that it disappears after the epoxy cures. It's my experience that on foam boards with no color you can't see it, but there is a slight muting of color when used over painted boards. It's pretty minimal though.

Mark...16 oz would be a LOT. You want too much rather than too little, but I can't imagine you'd need more than 12 oz on that board. Maybe do one side one layer and measure the residual, then you can adjust accordingly for subsequent lams.
Old    lakeside5_10            05-15-2008, 8:13 AM Reply   
thanks JEFF,
i will try MattS way of the 100/45 for the top 2 layers. FOOTBALL PATCHES ??
Old    surfdad            05-15-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
You and Matt are just showing off your division skills! :-) I don't use the football patches. I've even retro-fitted boxes with nothing more than 5 min expoy to hold them in. Although I don't recommend this. If you're installing the boxes before the lamination you should be fine for behind the boat use.
Old    lakeside5_10            05-15-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
i already have a digital scale when i used to build motors to check grams. ok no footballs then. I am still waiting on the lam art from wakeoutlaws to begin the lam coat .
Old     (smedman)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-15-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
Hey Jo Shmoe,

The Add F doesn't like cold weather and makes the mix really cloudy, but I've found it is not noticeable once you get it on the board. One little trick is to put the ADD F can in a small bucket of warm water for a bit before you add it (specifically in colder weather).

Mark - as for the Football Patches -- I think Jeff is probably right that they are not really needed, but I like to put them on my boards just for that extra strength just in case. Would rather spend 2 mins putting them on than worry about someone bringing a board back with a ripped out fin box. Sometimes on Lake Austin after a good rain, I've had the pleasure of running over small logs or branches while surfing. So far, haven't ripped a box out yet. :-)
Old    lakeside5_10            05-15-2008, 10:55 AM Reply   
Smed,

yea , last time i was out i got knocked off by a 2x8 that was 3' long with nails in it . i saved the plank to use on my sawhorse. i also do not like comebacks on stuff that you may have sold to someone , need to keep a good rep.

what name brand of paint have you used on the pink board , i want to paint mine.
Old    lakeside5_10            05-15-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
Smed
got your pm on the paint -
thanks