Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-20-2004, 6:47 PM Reply   
I am having problems starting my nautique. I checked the fuel filter and the carb is getting plenty of gas.

However I took the wire out of the top of the distributor and held it near metal when I started the engine, and I could not get an spark.

Is the coil going to the distribtor bad. How do you test for it? I have put new spark plugs in and they are gapped correctly. The coil looks pretty old.

I have not upgraded my distributor to electronic yet, but it doesnt seem there is any juice going to the distruibtor in the first place. Thanks in advance.

By the way it has a chevy 350 instead of the ford 351, I talked to correct craft with my vin and even though it is pretty rare, thats the way it came.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-20-2004, 7:46 PM Reply   
coils either work or they dont. and it sounds like yours doesnt. it is getting power? try www.vintageperformance.com i got my conversion w/hi perf coil for around 100.00 shipped
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-20-2004, 7:58 PM Reply   
I am almost positive it is getting power. I have just recently put in a new battery and the boat will start up and run fine for a while, but then die and then I will have problems starting it.

Do you need a coil with electronic ignition or is just better to have one to help boost it up. I am pretty sure cars with electronic ignition dont have external coils do they. Also thanks for the link.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-20-2004, 11:06 PM Reply   
So your distributer still has points right? Well if that is the case most likely that is where your problem lies. Check to make sure they are opening and closing. You can use a test light on the negative side of the coil with the engine cranking it should blink. Sometimes the condenser can cause problems too. Coils rarely fail.

Because it is Chevy, an HEI distributer might just be the way to go. I just bought one for my Buick 350 from the wrecking yard for $16. You will then need a few more new parts.
Old     (ferrarispider95)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2004, 9:24 AM Reply   
I would love to upgrade to an hei distributor, but nautiques have reverse rotation motors. Can you just the gear off the old distributor, to make it turn the right way for the nautique?

Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-22-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
i personally would just do the drop in unit. auto parts in a boat are bad.youll save money and get the same results. http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/pleasure.htm
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-01-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
The 82 Nautique motor runs in reverse (even the Chevy version) and has different distributor so automotive parts are not really compatible. Do not try to upgrade to an automotive based HEI unit.

The best $100 upgrade I did to my 83 was to install the electronic points elminiation kit from Overtons/Barts/Ski Limited. About the same difficulty as changing the points and condenser. This eliminated all spring/cold starting difficulties. It's a no-brainer.
Old    milo_lite            07-01-2004, 7:34 PM Reply   
I had a similiar problem with a 350 engine. Check the distributor cap, make sure it is tight on. Check that it doesnt have a lot of play, also check the inside of the cap, if it looks like the cap is scratched up in the inside it means that the rotater is not hitting the points. Also it could be in bad timming. Good luck