Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    mgg            08-24-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
Hello, I just picked up my new VLX last weekend and was wondering where was the best place to mount my Ipod? I wanted to avoid using the only cup holder by the drivers seat. Thanks, Mike
Old     (lenmann)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-24-2005, 8:01 PM Reply   
In my VLX I mounted the Dension Icelink cradle on a simple bent aluminum angle bracket just ahead of the cupholder. Two SS screws does the trick. Easy to get to and it stays safe and dry when you stuff the bow.
Old    mgg            08-24-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input.Does your icelink let you use the remote's on the transom and at the drivers seat to control the Ipod? Do you have any pics? Mike

(Message edited by mgg on August 24, 2005)
Old     (lenmann)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-24-2005, 9:38 PM Reply   
The Sony remotes can be used to switch through Playlists and to skip fwd and backward through songs using the "seek" and "disk" buttons.
My boat's in storage but will try to get a shot of the bracket tomorrow PM although its hard to see behind the cradle.
Old    mgg            08-24-2005, 9:58 PM Reply   
Where did you buy your icelink? That has got to be the nicest ipod accessory ever. Thanks, Mike
Old     (lenmann)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-25-2005, 9:07 PM Reply   
Hey Mike,

Here are a couple of pics. The bracket is just 2" wide x 1/8" thick aluminum from Home Despot bent in a vise with four holes drilled for mounting an painted black.

Picked up the IceLink at Best Buy for $199 (ouch).
front
side
Old    mgg            08-25-2005, 9:52 PM Reply   
That looks great but simple. Was the icelink hard to hook up. I noticed that it is ran through the disc changer input. I am also pretty sure that the drivers and transom remotes run of that as well. Did you have to get some sort of splitter? Nice looking sub by the way. Thanks for your help, Mike
Old     (lenmann)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-25-2005, 10:30 PM Reply   
I run the two Sony rm-xm10 remotes, the IceLink and a Terk XM unit through a Sony XA-C30 UniLink Multi-Changer Adapter mounted on the board behind the remote panel. It is essentially a hub that accepts inputs from any Sony Unilink complaint device and makes them available to the Sony HU. I am running a Sony cdx-F7710 HU.

The IceLink install is a no brainer, just plug and play. I am not happy with the XM sound quality yet, very "tinny" with no low end. Not sure what the issue is.

Len.
Old    mgg            08-26-2005, 3:17 PM Reply   
Did your Boat come with the Unilink? I droped my boat off at the dealer today for service and they are hooking up my tower speakers. I wanted to hook them up myself but they said that they had to do it for warrenty reasons. They had know idea what I was talking about when I asked them about the Unilink. If you ever make to Vegas we will have to go ride. Thanks again for all your help. Mike
Old     (lenmann)      Join Date: Mar 2005       08-26-2005, 4:52 PM Reply   
Hey Mike, glad to help. This board is an incredible source of information. Much of my current knowledge of car/boat audio has come from here. If you want to see some really sick installs check out Grant and Clays work at http://www.soundillusionsaudio.com Some day I aspire to be that good.

My boat originally had the old JBL factory HU and dash remote that MAlibu was installing back in 2003. This winter I upgraded the system and added the new HU, dual Sony remotes, XM, Icelink, W7, NVS's etc.

Unilink is Sony's brandname for the serial bus connection that thier remotes, MD players, CD Changers, etc. use.

Here is a link to the Crutchfield page describing the XA-C30. Essentially think of it as a hub into which you can plug multiple devices into so the HU can communicate with them. If the link doesn't work just go to www.crutchfield.com and search for the XA-C30.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-qmezF2oFmX9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=158XAC30&search=XA%2DC30

Len
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-26-2005, 5:48 PM Reply   
Dammm Lenmann: I clicked on this thread and scrollded down and saw a 12 W-7 sitting behind plexy glass and was like WOW, and then I noticed the Denson Ice link, Nice equipment, I was wondering , Humm I wonder where you got the Idea to mount the W-7 like that! I know we are not the fist person's to ever mount a sub like that, and then I read your post, giving me prop's for some Idea's, Thanks brother thats nice. Im glad you found somthing that you could put to use. It looks like you did a nice job got any other photos of your Install?????
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-26-2005, 10:52 PM Reply   
Here is a pic of mine. Works great, and to make the bracket should be pretty cheap.

Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-27-2005, 7:30 AM Reply   
Buzz or Grant or anybody,
Where did you get the cradle?
Does that Cradle(cables) plug into the rca's in the back of the stereo?
What if both RCA's are running to Amp's? How do you plug it in.

Does it plug into the Changer RCA's?
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-27-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
The Belkin cradle can be purchased many places. The metal bracket was done by my stereo shop, but can be made easily. The plug goes directly to the RCA'a on my deck, and a hot wire (I believe tapped into the cigarrette lighter source). Works great.