Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 12, 2006

Old    wakebmxer            06-28-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
There is about 5 pages of threads on a comment that Shane Bonifay made in WBM, on another wakeboard Discussion board. He said "who the F#ck is Aaron Aubrey, and how the F#ck did he get the cover" (refering to Alliance mag cover) also saying new guys shouldnt get coverage and just the Big guys should get coverage.

I just talked to Aaron and he is on a Road Trip in Oregon with Alliance Wakeboard mag. He had no idea of the controvercy or Shanes Quote. I personally have known Aaron and riden with him for a LONG time and he is a Smooth Stylish rider. He may not have the same Bag of tricks as the Florida pros but the stuff he does looks WAY BETTER. Style and Amplitude go a long way. He was blown away by Shanes comments saying "that is so lame to call out someone like that in the mag". I said "especially since you both ride for Liquid Force". He met Shane a few times and had no problems with him. The alliance guys were imediately calling people to get to he bottom of it in disgust. I am a Bonifay (Shane and Parks) Fan but I must now burn or sell my new Shane Board and Bindings. Any takers. They are new.

(Message edited by wakebmxer on June 28, 2006)
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-28-2006, 9:21 AM Reply   
Don't burn the board. If you can't sell it send it to me. I will spray paint over the parts where it has his name on it and ride it.

Thanks
Jon
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-28-2006, 9:28 AM Reply   
huh?
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-28-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
WOW Shane must have been having a bad day or somthing, thats crazy.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-28-2006, 9:43 AM Reply   
mike, don't burn 'em...give 'em to me. i'm in norcal dude. i'll pick 'em up!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-28-2006, 9:53 AM Reply   
Wow, seriously?... I hadn't heard anything about that yet. That's really lame if it's true. Aaron is such a cool guy and an amazing rider that's been true to the sport for a long time. Incidently he was also the winner of the CIE Spring Ride Double Up exhibition.

I met Aaron two years ago while he was filming for DS2. He was out on my boat for about 2 hours. I met him again close to a year later and he remembered exactly who I was and even remembered my name. I couldn't believe it. Since then I've run into him a number of times and have become a big fan of him as a rider and individual.

Anyway, take it for what it's worth. Shane was probably high when he said that.
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-28-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
and people wonder why i won't ride shanes board. seriously the guys at the shop are like you gotta try the shane, it's the best board, i'm like i don't care how good it is, i will never ride it cause i don't wanna support him
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-28-2006, 10:00 AM Reply   
Joe I already called the board. I will pay shipping so back off.

I would like to see more of the article to know the context of what he is talking about.
Old    mendo247            06-28-2006, 10:11 AM Reply   
Way to stay true to your beliefs mike!! i say burn the board!!!! i have a hard time believing he actually said that but it doesnt really suprise me... Aaron has had some killer shots in alliance over the years..
Old     (bflat53212)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-28-2006, 10:17 AM Reply   
Personally, his attitude and comments are nothing unique to the sport. The guys who get to the top level all are watching the covers of these magazines. It is very big bucks to land on the cover. Guys who have been around a long time trying to make their living wakeboarding who never end up on covers might have a different attitude then you or I. That is not to imply Shane never gets covers, but just he can probably think of a ton of other guys who he feels deserves it. Wasn't the smartest comments, but again, I'm sure there were 100's of other guys thinking the same exact thing. By the way, that is not to take anything away from Aaron. No matter who makes cover, their will always be 100's of people saying they don't deserve it for one reason or another. Unfortunately, it's just the dark underbelly of the beast that most people don't see.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-28-2006, 10:22 AM Reply   
Thats because Shane is a PUNK. We should sign them both up for celebrity boxing.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-28-2006, 10:28 AM Reply   
SOB deserves a cover, in my opinion. Or at least a two page sequence shot of the KGB540.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-28-2006, 10:32 AM Reply   
I agree Paul Sean O'brien is so under rated imo, he kills it in The Good Times vid.
Old    wakebmxer            06-28-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
Coming from BMX and being in the mags since I was 15, I saw alot of guys doing good stuff to get in the mag. But then you see some of them ride in person and wonder.......how?????? When you see Aaron ride.....you know why!!!
Old     (steve2u)      Join Date: May 2006       06-28-2006, 10:45 AM Reply   
Maybe it's just me, but it seems that most professional athletes that are well liked in the public eye usually can have a future in their sport long after they can no longer perform. Something Shane (or any athlete) should think about before his time comes...and it will.
Old     (spoonman)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-28-2006, 12:24 PM Reply   
Where should I start.. Mike you said you personall talked to Aaron. Did you personall talk to Shane about his comments? Gonna burn you board over a comment like that... come on. Every one on here has had a bad day and said something they did not mean or that was worded wrong. I have met Shane 3 times and he could not have been a nicer guy. At the St. Paul tour stop he even had time and a smile for my 8 year old right after loosing his heat. I know after that I would have been a little to upset to treat a young fan like he did.

just my .02
Old    wakebmxer            06-28-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
I have met Shane a few times and he was really cool. But I am GOOD friends with Aaorn and when someone says who the F#CK, Why the F#CK .......I start burnin Boards......lol
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-28-2006, 1:11 PM Reply   
mike, don't burn 'em! give 'em to me!
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-28-2006, 1:33 PM Reply   
Mike what other boards you got? I've been around a lot of the pro's and heard several say things like "who the F, and why the F" Don't burn 'em! give 'em to me! Joe and I will split them and give them to under-privledged riders. US!

DC
Old    wakebmxer            06-28-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
Joe will get any Boards I dont want, he is back in NorCal......I still think Shane is sick as hell, Just stickin up for my local boy Aaron Aubrey.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-28-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
i don't blame you for stickin' up for aubrey. he's such a sick rider and super cool person.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-28-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
I have been through WBM 2 times looking for the comments from Shane, I don't think they exist. Are there regional additions? Wrong magazine? or hoax?
Old    wakebmxer            06-28-2006, 2:18 PM Reply   
I hope it was a made up quote....I guess its in the 4 page interveiw with him. This is the post I originally got it from http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=59537

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=59607
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-28-2006, 3:15 PM Reply   
I read the interview last night. It's in SBC Wakeboard magazine (Canadian, eh!). Here is part of the article:

"They keep showing these no-name amateurs on covers and with interviews, trying to pump them up like they're the next big thing, when really there are too many people in [wakeboarding]. How many 'next big names' are there going to be? They all turn out to be just like everyone else, if that." Shane's frustration mounts. "Like Aaron Aubrey. Who the f*** is he? And why does he deserve a cover or an interview? What has he done for the sport that is so much bigger and better than the guys that keep risking their health and pushing to be better? He doesn't even do it for a living while others have been around way longer."

But magazine editors might find it difficult to cover riders like Schmaltz and Smith when fresh, exciting talent dominates the scene. Any kid, including Aubrey, would jump at the cance to get coverage. So, can Shane really blame him for being featured?

"It isn't his fault; it's the media's fault," he says. "That's why I hate the mags. What's wrong with covering the best riders right now?" (and it continues...)
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-28-2006, 3:22 PM Reply   
"He doesn't even do it for a living while others have been around way longer."

this is the dumbest thing I have ever heard! if it was not for the people that DON'T ride for a living, where would he be?? probably on his mommy and daddy's private lake, and 3 eventing it on some lame tour somewhere.....
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       06-28-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
Guys like Shane IMO have a right to be frustrated. There are a number of people in this industry and not a lot of money. On a professional level, this industry has been struggling for some time. There are a 100 other guys thinking the same thing Shane is but don't voice their opinion in a public forum. I have also met Aaron and I think he's a great guy.

Alliance's coverage of a variety of riders and locations has kept me reading and submitting to them. But guys like Shane are going to continue being frustrated with an industry that desperately needs corporate sponsorship to get to the next level.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-28-2006, 3:43 PM Reply   
thomas- well said.

SBC isnt any better. they obviously dont really have a clue who aubrey is if they are calling him a kid, and saying that he's new to the scene. the guy is older than shane is. he just doesnt compete or cry about not getting recognition for what he does.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       06-28-2006, 3:48 PM Reply   
I wonder if most of these guys could handle the responsibility, if this industry was as rich as they wish it was? I can totally understand the frustration, but keep it off the record. especially when you are talking about a fellow "team member".
I think it is great of Alliance to feature riders like A.A. I will continue to subscribe for that purpose. I like seeing Josh Smith on the cover. I dont know if he has been on the cover of WB recently, but I dont read that mag.
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-28-2006, 4:40 PM Reply   
There is no point for the frustration! I think it is totally uncalled for. It's great to see "little" guys on covers and getting the press. Can Shane really say he hasn't had enough coverage in his life? Plus this industry isn't a big money industry in the first place. If it were we would have to ride at 12am to get good water cause the ramps would be crowded by 6am. It doesn't make sense to bad mouth other people. Cause really if you think about it he is bad mouthing all of us at the same time for enjoying something we love.
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-28-2006, 5:04 PM Reply   
I thought Aaron's cover was well deserved. A huge double grabbed f/s five off the dup, backed up by the sequence inside the mag. A great shot is a great shot, and when such a stylish progressive trick is documented it should be published. Aaron's cover was much better than Shane's Alliance cover (about a year ago); Shane had a method grab off the wake, with no sequence to back it up. I've seen many people do legit methods, but I have only seen Randy Harris and Aaron Aubrey do sick double grab fives off the double up.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-28-2006, 5:07 PM Reply   
I'm still thinking SOB's KGB540 is way more deserved for that kind of spotlight.. not that the 5 wasn't worth some amount of coverage as well.
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-28-2006, 5:11 PM Reply   
SOB recently had an interview with Alliance, really sick sequence of a sick nose grabbed tantrum to blind. He grabbed with his front hand too, none of that reach around crap.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-28-2006, 5:14 PM Reply   
This is the best thing that could ever happen to Aaron, now everyone will know who he is - not just all of us out here in Norcal!

He should call Shane up and thank him.

And . . .

Life can be tough at the top of the hill there's never much room there!
Old     (nickdakoolkat)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-28-2006, 5:21 PM Reply   
I think Shane might have a right to be frustrated, but its wrong for him to single out Aaron Aubrey. Why does he have to take his shortcummings out on someboady else?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-28-2006, 5:23 PM Reply   
Yea, the SOB interview was good and that nose grab tantrum to blind was so sick, but I can not believe both of the mag's haven't done a two page sequence of the KGB. I mean you see 900's ALL the time, not only is the KGB5 just as sick but he does it totally clean and its Brand New!
Old    walt            06-28-2006, 5:48 PM Reply   
Would anyone want to see the same top ten guys on the covers of the mags month after month ?

I think it's great to see fresh faces and style and have to give props to Alliance for doing that.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-28-2006, 6:09 PM Reply   
FWIW, I talked to Shane and he's aware that he's getting a lot of heat for his comments. He feels bad and says things were taken out of context. I'm sure folks will find that hard to believe, but it wouldn't be the first time a professional athlete slipped up said something in a candid conversation with a press person that got written up the next day.
Old    walt            06-28-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
We all have said and done stupid stuff. Live and learn.
Old    whatpunk            06-28-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
I would much rather see new faces in the mags rather then see the same ol faces. Boring. The west coast has loads of talent and it is finally being exposed. As for Shane and his comment... not good at all because he probably lost a lot of his fan base in the Norcal area. Aaron is a Norcal boy... can't mess with one of our own. Thats just the way it is. I lost all respect for Shane.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-28-2006, 8:59 PM Reply   
I'm thinking what Shane meant was there are other riders that have paid more "dues" that deserve a cover shot more than Aubrey. It's just Shanes' opinion, and there might be some truth to it, however, I think he could of articulated it better thats all.
Old    alanp            06-28-2006, 9:12 PM Reply   
whatpunk who are you? 1 post? my guess is your someone with a little more insight but afraid of the backlash. i could be way off though. its just a little weird.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-28-2006, 10:01 PM Reply   
really though, who cares.

Shane is Shane, and I am me, and you are you, so just forget it. Life is too short man. If you like his gear, ride his gear, if you don't like his gear, then don't ride his gear.

That's what is so stupid about this industry is that everyone gets so wrapped up in the stupid stuff, who works for who, who stole whatever shape from who, who rides for what company and how some sponsor dicked someone over, and how some rider made a stupid decision, and what so and so said, who cares?!

People get dicked over, people say stupid stuff, and people don't originate their own stuff, it happens, it's called life and it's not worth debating or even talking about, because it is water under the bridge.

what's next?
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-28-2006, 10:08 PM Reply   
Perfectly said Thane!
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-28-2006, 10:09 PM Reply   
haha this is why i don't waste my time caring about the "pros"
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-28-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
It'a only talked about because we have a place like ww to discuss it.

I can see sitting around with friends talking that kind of crap, but to a magazine? Ouch.
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-29-2006, 5:03 AM Reply   
I'm agreeing with most of you. Of course Shane shouldn't have said it, or called out anyone like he did. However, I also know that every form of media will take things out of context. Most probably do it purposely to get a degree of shock value to their story. All I'm saying is, I'd like to hear the whole interview. I wonder what really went down.

Just playing devils advocate here. I'm not even sure how a quote like Shane's could be taken out of context. The dude shouldn't have said it, regardless! But I would like to hear the whole interview.
Old     (rootc)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-29-2006, 5:57 AM Reply   
"not only is the KGB5 just as sick but he does it totally clean and its Brand New!"

I saw Murray throw a KGB 5 at the Detroit Tour stop 3 or 4 years ago. If I remember correctly he was wraping it up, but a kgb 5 none the less.
Old     (wakecis)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-29-2006, 7:40 AM Reply   
i couldn't read all the crap on this page but i'm throwing in my opinion anyway. if pro riders are frustrated, they should get a clue, learn a little something outside of wakeboarding and realize the reality of the position they are actually in. industry growth, rider opportunities, future expectations, etc....

for people to think that only the riders with the deepest bag of tricks, riding on some lake in florida is what this sport needs, they are way off.

For guys like Aubrey who scored a cover after years of riding and dedication, sick job! congrats.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       06-29-2006, 8:22 AM Reply   
"I'm thinking what Shane meant was there are other riders that have paid more "dues" that deserve a cover shot more than Aubrey. It's just Shanes' opinion, and there might be some truth to it"

I'm sure Aaron would be more then happy to sit on a lake in Florida all day long with nothing to do but ride and "pay his dues".

I watch my kid struggle to throw / learn those same big double grabbed spins out into the flats and off the DU that I have watched (and filmed) Aaron doing effortlessly for years.

But I can understand where Shane's emotions are coming from. Reminds me of a time about 15 years ago when one of my employees went into business for himself and started stealing some of my customers!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-29-2006, 9:30 AM Reply   
Handle pass KGB5 is MUCH different then a wrapped KGB5, IMO! Murray is still the man though!
Old     (goinbigg17)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-29-2006, 9:55 AM Reply   
Is it me or doesn't Alliance generally have the people with not so big names in their magazine? Maybe it's just everytime I pick one up.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-29-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
I mean, if your job is to wakeboard...do you REALLY need to find something to bitch about?! I mean really?

-Shanes still the man though. sick style. out of his bro's shadow and all. I'm sure it made it more difficult than easy.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-29-2006, 4:17 PM Reply   
I have known Aaron since he started wakeboard over 10 years ago. that kid has paid his dues. He has been doing killer spins when it was'nt cool and in contests even though it meant he would lose. he is level headed and very modesto about his abilities. He is a pure wakeboarder at heart. He still loves riding every day.

I have met Shane and never had an issue and I am don't get the sense that was going after Aaron personally. Everybody has their opinions, but you would never here that kind of stuff from other leaders of other sports. Jordan, Tony Hawk, Matt Hoffman,Shaun Murray,etc... Never publically calling out another rider or sport.
Old     (bailey)      Join Date: May 2001       06-29-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
I would say go with the coolest picture on the cover of the magazine regardless of who it is.
Old     (ozwest)      Join Date: May 2006       06-29-2006, 4:31 PM Reply   
Once again...Thane Dogg to the rescue. If I'm not out riding with the person, I could care less what they say or how they act. To me, they don't exist in my narrow minded happy little world. Get out and ride.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-29-2006, 6:36 PM Reply   
Rich Dykmans comment is right on the money. I wasen't going to post on this thred because I was torn on which side of the fence I was on. First and foremost Shane calling out Aaron on a public forum was wrong, that said I can understand his feelings, he has been in the spotlight of the industry for over 10 years and only in the last couple of years broken out of his brothers shadow to stand alone with his legit riding style. Like Rich, being a west coast parent I understand how difficult it is to get national coverage for riders not living in Orlando and was happy to see Aaron's cover. I know that sponsers pay very good money for cover shots, and I think Shane felt that should have gone to a Tour rider. I won't get into the contest rider, free rider debate, but as a parent of a contest rider I know how hard they work. Hopefully Shane will call Aaron and make things right.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       06-29-2006, 7:38 PM Reply   
He was calling out the mags, not the rider. The rider was just the latest example of his point.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-29-2006, 7:48 PM Reply   
J-Rod... that was the exact thought I had from the beginning, I was quite shocked that no one came to that conclusion until you!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-29-2006, 7:57 PM Reply   
J-Rod, Paul, good point. But if it were you and you were called you a "no name amateur" would you not take it personal?
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-29-2006, 8:02 PM Reply   
No, no, no, it wasn't a good thing to say regardless and even worse if it was put out of context by the writer but I thought more people would see what his point really was. I think he just screwed in that alot of folks know this Aaron guy and are naturally going to stick up for him!
Old     (jonm)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-29-2006, 8:05 PM Reply   
I don't know the guys and I'm sure Shane has smiled at some 8 year olds but

Boo hoo. Shane doesn't get paid enough to wakeboard by the sponsors. Neither do I. + he talks the mags and wonders why he isn't on the cover? Let me guess. The dude needs some pr skills. with wakeboarding as in life don't bite the hand that feeds.

See you on the next cover Shane. Not!!!
Old    wakebmxer            06-29-2006, 8:11 PM Reply   
Just cause Aaron doesnt live in Florida doesnt mean he is a noname. Everybody in NorCal who is up on the scene knows Aaron Aubrey. He is in several videos. Shane rips and so do alot of other guys you have never heard of. If your a Profesional you dont point the finger at anybody inpartcular. I understand the big Dogs deserving coverage. I have a hard time watching DVD's if my favorite riders arent in them, but the sport , believe it or not is growing and there is room for other people. Deserving people like Aaron. I know for a fact that other than School his life has been Dedicated to Wakeboarding. Going on trips. Seen him on Fuel TV several times. He knows the right people and the right people like the way he rides just as most people who see him ride do. This post will go on forever but the fact is the wrong thing was said about the wrong person and there are lot of people pissed off. Jealousy is a form of Negativity and sometimes it controls us the wrong way. Shane Rips, Aaron Rips and so do alot of other people including me and maybe you.
Old    roadking            06-29-2006, 8:14 PM Reply   
I don't know Aaron, but I do know Shane. All I have to say is I get really tired of seeing and reading the same interviews with the same people. I find it refreshing to see new talent, new faces with a new point of view. I like contests, I like free riding, but I also like change. Having Aaron on the cover and interview was awesome. I know way more than I need to know or want to know about Shane. He leaves alot to be desired for young riders to look up to other than his riding. The rest is well, left better not mentioned.

Congrats to Aaron, keep it goin, and also Congrats to Gabe Lucas another so called "no name" on the cover of WBM. Wow someone get Shane some meds fast....no wait he has his own!
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-29-2006, 8:48 PM Reply   
I'm glad to hear that Gabe Lucas got a cover, he deserves more than he recieves; I'll be looking in the mail box. I was also stoaked to see Keith Lidberg have dual covers on WBM and Alliance a month or so back.
Old     (raketball)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-29-2006, 9:27 PM Reply   
I think it's time for someone to speak up on Shane's behalf. After all, how would you feel if you were 5'1" (and that's in heels) and always referred to as somebody's younger brother. Cut him some slack.........
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-29-2006, 9:31 PM Reply   
well im not sure what aaron busts and im a west coast rider so i for sure support anybody that represents us. shane is a sick ass rider tho and he as well as aaron both worked hard to be how they are dont burn the board, its an awsome board. you dont have to be frends with him but dont trash shane cuz he has an opinion that lots of others are thinking but not saying. it was dumb to say and i think aaron deserves mag shots, i just think everyones freekin out about this too much, a-scag
Old     (lostkgb78)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-29-2006, 10:23 PM Reply   
OK, where to begin...
Shane should never have singled Aaron out...That was stupid...
I think what Shane was trying to get at is the magazines play favorites and it can make or break a pro's career.
Look at Soven, RIPS, and not much love from WBM.
But Shanes never had any trouble with getting in the mags so I don't know what his beef is.
I've know Shane since he was 9 or 10. he's a good guy. Everyone makes mistakes so just let it be.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-29-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
Soven gets no love from Alliance beeecasue they have some agenda to not cover contest riders like Harf and Parks and Watson.... Wait, they ride in contests all the time and they get covered..

Funny, Shaun White is the biggest thing to ever hit snowboarding and he rides contests all day long.
Old     (newmy79)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-30-2006, 5:57 AM Reply   
west coast/east coast, word up! LOL

this thread is entertaining..

do you all really care that much about that which does not even remotely affect you in your daily lives? he said/she said drama, that's all it is..

ride and have fun!
Old     (fmtpo)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-30-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
shane's a punkass little crybaby.
Old     (mwaken)      Join Date: May 2003       07-01-2006, 2:14 PM Reply   
I see another Tupac Biggie type beef starting over this. LOL.

Ryan you had a good point but unless I hear Shane apologizing for being so stupid I don't think it's something that should just be forgotten. It's because of that attitude and his crying that he doesn't get more interviews cuz nobody wantS to hear that sh*t. Like you said he gets plenty of coverage so why is he bitching?

As far as Soven not getting coverage, he gets it where he deserves it. When he wins contests or invents some new flip. But I don't think many people want to see a still shot of whirly dick, IMO.
Old     (stwake)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-01-2006, 4:32 PM Reply   
mike ill take your Shane board it would mean a lot
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       07-02-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
That is pretty sad. The way Alliance does that is why I like them so much. I get tired of seeing the same guys over an over again in WBM. When Daniel Doud got his cover a few issues back we were all so stoked for him because he loves the sport, is stylish beyond belief and is just a great guy. Shane needs to realize that Garrett Cortese is the Photo Editor of Alliance and great friends with Aubrey, Schwenne, Doud, Jared Couch etc. Has been for years. You see those guys in Alliance all the time because they are friends and Alliance likes to feature style and sick looking shots versus the hardest trick ever thrown. They have a different approach to the "WOW" factor. It's a bro sport and Alliance takes care of their bros.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-03-2006, 11:26 PM Reply   
...this was posted by someone on wb.com.
Upload
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-04-2006, 7:41 AM Reply   
I hope Shane invested the $ he's made so far well because a statement like that tells me he will be ill equipped to move forward with the rest of his life when this ends (which I think he can see coming when he makes statements like that)

As in most sports "you're only as good as you're last game".
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-04-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
shane is a hippy
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-04-2006, 11:50 AM Reply   
Shane can say whatever he wants...
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       07-04-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
well, he probably won't be getting too much love anymore when he visits Nor-Cal.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       07-04-2006, 2:26 PM Reply   
Can someone post the AA cover shot? I heard that the best poster on this thread gets next month's cover shot. Good luck.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-04-2006, 9:04 PM Reply   
I love that-
"when really there are too many people in [wakeboarding]"
oh please