Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-02-2011, 3:56 PM Reply   
My Dad is interested in this fishing boat. I know this is a wake site, but...does anyone know what this is really worth? It is loaded with what he wants and with what the local market is and the fact it is nearing the end of the season for us, he might be interested in picking it up. The only thing is I have no idea of how to find the real value.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.specialtyrecreation.com/p...R0&veh=2269041
Old     (idaho_hillbilly)      Join Date: Jun 2009       10-02-2011, 10:33 PM Reply   
$32k for a 2006 fishing boat!

I think I'm one of only 3 people in North Idaho that doesn't fish, but I would say that's a high price for a fishing boat...an outboard fishing boat! I would let them sit on it for awhile and go see them again when the snow flies!
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-03-2011, 7:53 AM Reply   
He isn't in a hurry and I agree, when the lakes start to freeze up they will get a bit more eager to drop the price. He lives out on the Washington Peninsula so resale on used fishing boats is much higher. I think their price is a bit high, but a comperable 2011 os going for over $50K.
Old     (Bigstic)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-03-2011, 8:30 AM Reply   
Sounds a little high to me for a 18' er.

My wife and I still debate on getting a river runner vs. a wake boat. I have to say hitting the rapids in one of these sure looks fun but highly doubt the kids would enjoy it as much.

Here is a 20' with a 350 inboard for $35k. I know he has had it listed for at least 4 months. http://billings.craigslist.org/boa/2581016145.html

And for a good place to ask questions head over to River Jet Boating Forum . Smart guys over there and great advice on river boats.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-03-2011, 9:21 AM Reply   
NADA on that Seahawk is 10K. Suggested list when new was 17K.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-03-2011, 10:00 AM Reply   
That Alexis is pretty close to what he wants, minus the jet. He will be running it in salt water and wants the outboard. Most likely if he gets the Seahawk he would pull the 90ho Yamaha and switch it with his 115 Merc and sell the Yamaha with his boat.

Thanks for the NADA pricing. Where the cost goes up is when you add all the extras.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-03-2011, 10:04 AM Reply   
I did actually and got it up to 18K.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-03-2011, 10:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
NADA on that Seahawk is 10K. Suggested list when new was 17K.
Not sure I believe that NADA, that has to be the bare boat with no motors, electronics, canvas, etc????

I don't know that much about fishing boat values but I do know that North River is a top notch Aluminum rig. That boat is riciulously well equipped assuming the 90hp is suffiecient power. Yamaha 4 strokes are wonderful engines from what I have read. Really quite and durable.That boat has nice canvas, radar arch, lowrance radar, lowrance color GPS/Fishfinder, bow electric motor, dual batteries, battery charger, etc.. It also has a yamaha 4 stroke kicker with TR1 auto pilot(awesome for controlling the kicker), scotty electric downriggers.

I just looked up nada and that boat has an average book of approximately 24k for the boat, 5k for the main outboard, 1200 for the kicker and 1800 for the trailer. Assuming NADA is somewhat close to correct you are looking at ~32k. Right where it is priced. That boat appears to be a very good shape freshwater boat. It might not be worth all that because of the time of year but I bet it is worth all of 29k+ I bet that guy has a lot of money into that boat.

Assuming Paul's numbers are right for a new one and guesstimates on stuff.

17k boat
1000 canvas
8k for main outboard, controls and install
1800 for 8hp kickers
2500 TR1
2500 GPS,Radar,FF
3000 Trailer
1000 downriggers
500 trolling motor
~3k in extras

That is about 40k. I wouldn't be surprised if that is what he paid at all.

All that being said, I am not sure it is actually worth a full 32 but I bet 30k is in the ballpark.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-03-2011, 11:51 AM Reply   
I got it up to 27K using every fancy option they have.Remote auto pilot, color GPS with C, downriggers, color fish, with charting, etc... Motor is included in the original price of the boat
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-03-2011, 12:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
I got it up to 27K using every fancy option they have.Remote auto pilot, color GPS with C, downriggers, color fish, with charting, etc... Motor is included in the original price of the boat
You must be looking at a different boat then I am. I did just look and it doesn't include the motor(as far as a I know, NADA doesn't include the price of outboards on boats since most outboard boats don't come with them and the buyer chooses) but it does include the price of the trailer so you could subtract 1500 or so from my earilier calculation. Still around or just over 30k.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-03-2011, 12:26 PM Reply   
ah. You are correct. It does not include the motor. I figured it did.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-04-2011, 3:54 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the replies. If someone has the time and wants to run numbers on his boat I would really appreciate it. I will post all the info on it when he sends it to me.

Thanks again.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-05-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
The T-8 Kicker can sell for as much as $3500 new, and a good rule of thumb is $100 Per HP for the outboard (new)

I could see how the value gets real high on a boat like this.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-05-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by sppeders View Post
The T-8 Kicker can sell for as much as $3500 new, and a good rule of thumb is $100 Per HP for the outboard (new)

I could see how the value gets real high on a boat like this.
3500 new? I think we were selling brand new ones in 07 for 2k when I was selling boats.
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-05-2011, 10:20 AM Reply   
yep new. We were looking at them when we bought a kicker for our boat, decided to go with a F15 with a thrust prop instead. Much more reasonable. This was about a year ago, and the dealer may have thought he was sitting on gold with the T-8.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-05-2011, 11:22 AM Reply   
If someone has the time to run numbers on my dad's boat here are the specs.

1988 TIDE RUNNER 18’ Fishing Boat with Cuddy Cabin

1988 OMC 115 HP (1.6 Liter) (438 hrs.) Always flushed after every use.
1988 Yamaha 9.9 hp Kicker Motor (4-Stroke) with electric start and EZ Steer
1988 EZ Loader Trailer w/electric winch, bearing buddies and sealed lights.

Package includes the following:

Canvas Top w/ Sleep Top in excellent condition
Vinyl inside cuddy cabin in excellent shape, sleeps 1 person comfortably
Vinyl on driver/passenger seats in excellent shape. Seats fold flat and can sleep one on each side with storage underneath.
Trim Tabs
EZ Steer
2 Walker Downriggers (electric)
Lowrance Fish Finder
VHF Radio
AM FM radio with CD player
On board wash down system for easy clean up
Removable fish Box
35 Gal. Fuel Tank
Anchor rope locker
Pole holders
2 Batteries with Perko kill switch

Thanks.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-05-2011, 1:23 PM Reply   
Jae, where is he planning on using the boat? What kind of fishing is he going to be doing? Another brand to check out is Arima. They are made in Auburn Wa and have a great following in the Northwest. Think of how Sangers are looked at on wakeworld. My dad just bought a 16 foot arima. They are really wide and have a ton more fishing room then almsot anything in their size range. They also have a nice little helm with Canvas to get out of the weather. Because of their hull design they are very stable for their size and also they plane out real quick at low speed. They are also very fuel effiecient and an 18' boat would run very well with a 90hp motor or so. Their biggest downfall is since they are wide without too deep of a V at the stern they don't ride that great in real rough water. Here are some examples

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/boa/2631371497.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/2630057175.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/2627467499.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/2614844322.html

http://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/boa/2586148286.html
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-05-2011, 1:29 PM Reply   
My father just bought a 16 arima with a 70hp evinrude 2 stroke. It is a great boat and fishes 2 and maybe 3 people fine. An 18 Arima would fish 3 or 4 pretty well I think. here is a link to their website. Super old school and ghetto but you get an idea.

http://arimaboats.com/

As for the Tide Runner, it is another Northwest built boat. They have a deeper V all the way back if I remember right. You don't see tha many of them aroudn though. When I worked at Copes we had one on consignment. It was abotu an 18 I think. I wasn't impressed at all with it. It just seemed cheap. It was pretty low profile and inside the boat wasn't very deep at all. It would be a better rough water boat then the arima's but that might be about it.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-05-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
Negative on the Arima. Although the gunnels are a bit higher on the Arima, His Tide Runner handles the rough water better. One main reason for looking at an aluminum boat is weight. He is getting older (70) and wants something that is easier to get on and off the trailer by himself or with my mom. I think the North River is about 1/2 the weight of the Tide Runner.

He mainly fishes out of Sequim in the Straights and doesn't really go out past Tattoosh so I think the deep V North River would work well. He does some lake fishing so having the kicker is a must for trolling and having the electric motor would be great if he decides to do some bait casting.

I went and looked at the North River again and was thinking it would be nice to get a hold of the owner and deal directly with him. That would cut out the dealer doing a consignment and would save everyone a bit of money. I was trying to figure out how to find the owner and looked in the glove box and he left the registration. Bingo.

I'll let you know how it goes. Here is a pic of his Tide Runner.
Attached Images

Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-05-2011, 3:48 PM Reply   
Sorry, I didn't pay attention I guess. I thought you were comparing the tide runner. That is a nice looking Tide Runner. It looks about like the same model that was at our dealership but a lot more loaded and a lot nicer.

If a really nice rough water ride and speed are important to him then the Arima probably isn't perfect although it looks like the 19 foot Arima is lighter then the 18'6" seahawk. I have no experience with aluminum but looking at that hull it doesn't look like a very good rough water riding boat.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-07-2011, 10:34 PM Reply   
Jae, here is another seahawk to compare. Cheaper, bigger main and bigger kicker. Looks equipped really nice as well.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/2638489691.html
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-08-2011, 2:18 PM Reply   
Bret, thanks for the link. I sent it on to my Dad. I talked to the guy that owns the boat over here and he is willing to pull it from the dealer and deal directly with my Dad. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Thanks everyone for your help and input.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-08-2011, 7:37 PM Reply   
I was the GM at the North River dealership in Sacramento for 5 years before North river imploded. We sold hundreds of those 18 Seahawks. That boat probably went out the door in the mid to high 30's new, and assuming it is in good condition, here in Norcal it would be worth 25-28 K at retail.

The 90 as a main is borderline marginal power, especially with all the extra weight that boat is carrying. If he is going to use it at more than 2 or 3 thousand feet of elevation, it will be underpowered.

If your Dad needs any info on any North River, I'd be glad to share what I know.
Old     (jaegermaster)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-09-2011, 9:22 AM Reply   
HE will be at sea level or just above. He is looking into what it would take to swap motors if he picks this one up.

One question I have though is what would the commission be on a boat like this? The place it is at is a power sports company, not an actual boat dealer or marina. They took it in on consignment so I am assuming they are making a commission. Am I right thinking if the owner pulls it and deals directly with my Dad that the price would drop the amount of commission? 10% commission would be $3299 dropping the sticker price to $26999 with no haggling at all.

I've never bought a consignment so I really have no idea how it works.

Thanks again for the help.