Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 16, 2009

Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-05-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
Hey so I already looked through all the slider threads and I still haven't come up with a solution.

We take weekend camping trips to the lake and we are trying to come up with a design for ~30ft flat rail that we would easily be able to stake in, remove, and transport. Sounds easy right... well the problem is we are in AZ and it is rocky! We have tryed to pound pointed 4x4 into the ground and only got a couple inches. So now it is back to the drawing board.

I am thinking rather than using 4x4 for the support legs we could us 1" steel pipe with a pointed tip similar to a fence. I am thinking we should be able to get these into the ground atleast a foot. Do you think this would be stable?

What has everyone else done when you run into hard ground. Making a big T support at the bottom that dosen't require stakes is a possiblity but the ground isnt level so it requires rocks for stabalization which can get sketchy.

Any help is appreciated.
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-05-2009, 6:56 PM Reply   
We were working on sand and that was pretty tough. I've heard of guys using a water jet to pump out the soil from around the legs. Once it's in though it must be really hard to remove.
I would do exactly like you said. Make a T leg and put rocks underneath it to get it level. It will make it a lot easier to remove then pegging it down.
My rail is 12" wide and it's in 12 foot sections so that it fits in my truck. I built it so that it slides into itself and can be build into many different configurations. 60' total. I've gone 24 flat, 12 up, 24 flat which was pretty rad. Also 3 pieces sandwiched side by side to make a kicker. Or really wide at 24" wide by 24"long with a slight kink.

Have fun and have tools handy to modify on the fly...
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       10-05-2009, 9:48 PM Reply   
If that's the case it might be time to consider a floating set up with multiple anchors. Just drag it out, anchor it it, and pull it when you're done.
Old     (tcwake)      Join Date: Dec 2008       10-06-2009, 6:06 AM Reply   
If you have unlevel ground you can make x braces like this... we bolted through the two 4x4s so it was strong and put two on every 8' section. We also put those 24" mailbox spikes that you can get at home depot onto the end of the 4x4s on the deeper side so they would dig in and set.
bolting each section together while the rail is floating and then having 3-4 people stand it up into place.. when it finally tips up and then falls, the spikes will set them self and its pretty stable...

this was the first slider we built and it was really heavy... but it was portable and worked with the unlevel ground.. it also took qite the beating in the intracoastal from the big boats but was there over a year before we took it out..

Upload
Upload
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-06-2009, 9:34 AM Reply   
Hey thanks for the advice.

-Justin that slider sounds dope! Do you have any pics?

-Jeff we were considering floating but we would like to keep the cost down and we would like it all to fit in the back of 1 truck.

-SW Fla that looks like a possible solution but like you said it is heavy which is something we are trying to avoid. I also think the unlevel ground wouldn't work with this set up.
Old     (bhileman)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-06-2009, 9:46 AM Reply   
Here is one idea. We build single 4x4 for supports and on the end of each support we some how attach x4 2' rebar pieces. So we simply just hammer in the rebar rather than the 4x4. Do you think this would be sturdy? Do you think the rebar would be easy to hammer into rocky ground? Any ideas for attaching the rebar to the 4x4? We were thinking U bolts or wire.
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-06-2009, 10:01 AM Reply   
use those twist in anchors with rope/chain attached to the posts, then use a come-along (sp?) to ratchet them down
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-08-2009, 8:01 PM Reply   
There are two videos of it if you follow this link.
It's in the Wakejam Rail Jam and in the Landmark video. Different formats of the same rail, just different legs.