Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jeff_t)      Join Date: Nov 2006       07-10-2007, 5:57 AM Reply   
I just placed the order for our first board. I tried it a few weekends ago and got completely hooked on it. I got the 07 Hyperlite Broadcast in the 5ft 6in length. Most everybody that rides with me are all beginners (some haven't even tried it yet...but are looking forward to it). I have one that I would consider intermediate with intentions of trying some tricks soon. I will be ready for tricks someday, but for now just want to learn to stay in the pocket. I would say average height is 6'2 ~200 lbs...not including the females that will ride.

I bought the 5.6 length thinking it would be more stable and an all around better board for the skill levels. The other option was 4.9. Now I'm wondering how much difference it really makes and if the 5.6 will be a slug in the water.

I know I should have asked before I placed the order, but now I'm thinking I should get some feedback. I can always return the board...just will have to pay more shipping.

Any, better late than never. What do you think about the length. Would have the 4.9 been a better bet long term?
Old    surfdad            07-10-2007, 3:41 PM Reply   
We just got back from Wakefest in Ohio, where we had the opportunity to put on a few clinics after the wakesurf contest. I'm not a big fan of the broadcast, but for learning or teaching I found it to be an excellent choice in the 5'6". For smaller riders, it's more board than they need, be we did have a youngster on it that was probably no more than 60 pounds wet. The 200 pounder, you mention, should be able to ride it also.

The 5'6" isn't a ripper, but for folks that want to learn, I think you'll find it an adequate choice. The only issue that I noticed was for the really small kids that had difficulty flipping the board up, for that we used a Trick Boardz with it's neutral bouyancy to make it easier to flip the board.

The intermediate rider will probably find the board slow'ish, and less than responsive if they have tried any other board.

I'd give it a try before the 4'9".
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-10-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
Jeff,

We we're riding with Noelle and Corey when they first took delivery of their Avy. Noelle is fairly light and had trouble with a Broadcast 5.6, it was too big once she was up on the wake. We put her on an IS Yellow, still kind of big.

Then we put her on a fairly small Trick Boardz Free Style and she did great.

They used to (still have?) a CC2001. The 5.6 Broadcast was barely big enough for them to learn on. I gave them my IS Red for a couple of hours and they were off to the races.

I think you’ll agree it can be a complicated mix. It helps to have the right size board for the right size rider and wake. Some manufacturers provide guidance. I’ve seen that in Trick Boardz, IS, SStixx, and Walker.