Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 27, 2008

Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-12-2008, 8:10 PM Reply   
My girlfriend just bought me a Slingshot Recoil for my birthday, SO stoked!!! She's awesome!

But my question is.. anyone that has ridden one, how are the feel of the 1" fins that come with it? Are there other compatible shorter fins? I rode my old board (CWB Kink) finless and like the looser feel.

Just curious what people who have ridden one thinks of the fin setup cause I've never ridden a 4 fin board.
Old     (mxflyer281)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-12-2008, 8:24 PM Reply   
Idk I rode one finless at Odub it was super loose almost wakeskateish i wouldnt ride it without fins
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-12-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
They make 4 fins sizes for them. They make a I believe .75" fin that is the same link as the stock on, and a 1" and a .75" that are a little shorter. Call slingshot and they will send you a pair for free. I got the .75" that are the same length as the ones u have, but I may call back and see if I can get some of the shorter ones also.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-12-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
try it out first to see what you think
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-12-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
I think you can find there number on their website. I remember that I had to get Tom at Boardersmall to give me the number last time though.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-12-2008, 8:32 PM Reply   
I think you can find the number on their website. I remember that I had to get Tom at Boardersmall to give me the number last time though.
Old     (jpod)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-12-2008, 8:50 PM Reply   
i took my fins from my recoil to a belt sander and knocked them way down. love the ride now
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-12-2008, 9:53 PM Reply   
I didn't get anywith my board - first set and anytime at Odub was finless -- pretty loose but do-able

I got some .75" from jeff and when slingshot set me new ones they set the .75" too... soo thats all i know, but 1" would see to be way too big
Old     (vlxray)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-13-2008, 4:36 AM Reply   
I switched mine to the 0.75" fins and I like it much better. It has plenty of grip on edge but breaks loose very easily when needed. The smaller fins are definitely the way to go.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2008, 8:50 AM Reply   
I have a response with the .75 fins on it and it rides quite well. I have always liked to ride boards without the center fin and have progressivly gotten looser and looser boards as time went on and my skills improved. I really like it with the fin setup that it came with. It does hold and edge really well and breaks loose very easily too. I agree that the 1 inch may be a bit much. I would order yourself another set while you are at it cause from what I have heard, the fins will break easily or loose thier threading. I must say though that I rode the cable all day yesterday and hit kickers and sliders and fun boxes all day long with the fins on and they didn't loosen or break. They are scuffed up and one of them now needs some sanding, but anyboard will pick up that kind of damage at the cable park. The deck holds up super well. You can hardly tell that I have hit rails with the thing and there is no signs of damage to the edges of the board at all. Love the bindings too. I got the D2's and they are very supportive but still very flexible. The liners can kind of be a pain to take off so many times but I knew that was the case before I got them.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-13-2008, 8:57 AM Reply   
My friend likes center fin boards, so he drilled a couple holes and rides the .75 as the center fin on his Recoil. Try that!
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-13-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
so does anyone have the SS #? i've already lost all of my fins just wake riding, the damn screws keep backing themselves out.

so u diggin' the set-up robert? good to know that they stood up well to the cable. can't wait to come down and hit it up. we're still comin it's just probably going to be a bit warmer...
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-13-2008, 9:05 AM Reply   
I think that the 1 in fins are way too big. I would rather ride it finless than with the 1 in fins.

jr pm me and I can get you some replacement fins.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2008, 9:10 AM Reply   
Yeah dude, I love it. I have not rode the board behind the boat yet but on the cable it was the most fun board that I have been on. I thought the landings were pretty soft off the kicker and had a blast pressing the board through the turns. It slides better than anything that I have riddin.

The waranty # is 1-877-775-4832

If you guys are still coming down then just give me the heads up and I will get a boat to play on. We took out the 230 on Sunday for our clubs meet and greet and surfed the biggest wave ever, the wave was so huge that when my buddy went over the roller on another boat passing by he was able to throw a crowmobe with ease. The wakeboard wake on it is sick too. Kind of like an Xstar with about 2000lbs in it. SICK
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-13-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
Yeah, i got on some rails yesterday, first time with the SS and it is FAST, i was amazed how fast it was on rails.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2008, 10:58 AM Reply   
Yeah it is fast. Especially if you are sliding on the materials used at the cable parks and not on trex
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2008, 11:40 AM Reply   
Hey, those of you guys that have slid your SS. I was just going over the board and noticed that the bottom sheet has just the tinniest bit of seperation from the rest of the deck in one spot where I must have biffed it on one of the rails a bit. I know that I have destroyed a board before coming up short on an ollie onto a rail. I don't recall doing this yesterday, but I may have hammered it down on the funbox pretty hard trying to press it out a bit. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed this bit of seperation. I am used to seeing that on other boards, usually the seperation will be much longer and it seems like you could just pull the board apart with your bare hands. This board doesn't seem that way but I don't know if it will get worse quick like any other board or if it will just stay the same. Was thinking about using some epoxy on it just so it doesn't get worse and won't let any water into the core. What do you guys think. I am probably just being too picky but I am like this with all my gear, especially my new gear.
Old     (iukekini)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-13-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Yeah you can touch it up with a little epoxy and it will keep it from separating. You don't have to worry about getting water into the core. The foam in closed cell and won't absorb water.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-13-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
Nice. any others that have had the same thing happen?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       03-13-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
mine is still looking good
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-14-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
I know a guy that will only ride his SS finless. He looks solid on it too!
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-14-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
Did you get you some new fins?
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-14-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
Who is the question directed at? ^ I got some new fins on the way from slingshot. One of the screws was missing for the bindings, so I originally called for that reason and then decided to ask for some new fins as well and they sent me 4 no questions asked.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-14-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
if you guys need fins just hit up JM. they know they fins are wack but are going to make them better for '09.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-14-2008, 1:16 PM Reply   
that is good to know. Hopefully they don't change the hole pattern or anything so those with older boards can get a set
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-14-2008, 8:26 PM Reply   
Switching too the smaller fins absolutely changed the board for me, loved it.
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       03-14-2008, 9:47 PM Reply   
I would choose my fins based on the type of riding style I like. For me, I use the smallest fins because it provides the loosest feel, with still a bit more traction that finless.

When riding the larger fins, I feel constrained and don't like how I can switch the board around as freely on the water.

For beginners, the large fins are perfect because they provide ample traction. But its all based on what feels best on the water!
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-14-2008, 10:12 PM Reply   
I just got it in the mail today....

I'm so freakin pumped to get out and try it. I can't wait for this season, the weather here in Seattle needs to clear up!
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-15-2008, 8:17 AM Reply   
I just got to ride mine behind the boat for the first time last night. It was so awesome. It only took me one hs half cab for me to get used to it. After that one jump with little air, but way into the flats, I just started to throw down the normal bag of tricks and hit everything without falling including some tricks that I haven't thrown in a while. I was getting booted on all my spins and was getting a signifigantly greater amount of air on my ts, which I really like cause the whole time I was on the Marius it really seemed to hurt my ts unless I railed into it. The rumors of the board landing super soft proved to be nothing but truth to me. I was going into the flats on everything cause the response is so much faster than the marius and all the landings were very soft and some felt like I never left the water. I would not say that I was getting 12 feet of air or anything but a consitantly large pop was not hard to find on this board. It felt like when you get that bucking snap on a 3 stage board, you know one of those pops where you may not have gone a whole lot higher than normal, but you got up there quicker so it feels real lofty or floaty. Sort of like a Dup. Anyway, I loved it and it suited my riding style perfectly and I felt right at home after a few hits on the wake. No body else on the boat got to try it cause I didn't get on the water until 7, like the glassy water bandit that I am. But when they do I will let you guys know how the others felt on it.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
sounds awesome, cant wait till i finally get around to getting mine (soon! and with an extra pair of fins just in case:-)), also cant wait till it gets warmer... but i'll still need to find a reliable ride. Hopefully my dad will want to get a boat this year.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-15-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
Hope you can Bro.

I hate to admit to being a sucker of board hype, but if it wasn't for this website and more specifically you Jermey I probably would not have stepped up and bought one until I had at least demoed one. I am stoked on it though so thank you.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-15-2008, 10:33 PM Reply   
no prob, I'm glad my "in depth" opinions/ reviews were helpful, pretty brave not demoing, and setting aside the number one rule. but if there is anyone who understands buying on board stats alone, I would be one of them. (also it seems SS providers are not too wide-spread. hope that changes.) Slingshot was the first board i have ever demoed before buying, because: 1.) I am schooling and living closer to a larger city with options 2.) No money to up-and-buy a new board, especially after just splurging on new boots.

lived in Page Arizona all my life and there is NOTHING (no larger cities) within 2 hours drive. one of the remotest spots in the US with only the scenery and powell to live for, which is the only thing bringing me back there when i graduate (granted i get a job at the 5 star luxury resort being built there)!

wakeboarding on a slingshot, with slingshot fins (had to throw something in to stay on topic, hehehe) in Powell, life could hardly be better! The LF bro stock will be a yearly highlight too ;)
Hope to see some of you there sporting your WW jerseys, SS boards (and fins), or any other wake related stuff