Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-03-2004, 10:30 AM Reply   
am I wrong or right bc honestly I don't know....

"If you ride a wake that is less steep a 3-stage might be good for you."

By Ringo (hymaeringo) on Tuesday, August 03, 2004 - 9:43 am:

J-rod I thought it was the other way around.... a steep wake is complimented by a 3-stage bc you generate lift by a slower smaller approach with emphasis on going up as opposed to a continuous that you create pop by edging through a more mellow wake for a more into the flats feeling as oppesd to wake to wake w/ a 3 stage?! I could be wrong but that is what I thought I learned in wbm's gear guide 04 explained by kyle schmidt.

Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-03-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
bueller..............................bueller...... ......bueller

n e one?
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
i'm going to have to agree with J-Rod cause we DMC's stick together!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-03-2004, 10:49 AM Reply   
It seems to me that if you have a flatter, rampier wake, you would want a board to help generate more height/lift, which is what a 3 stage does. Not saying you shouldn't ride one on the other. Maybe a continuous board on a super air wake would make the pop more controllable. Example: Murray rides his Temet behind a super air. Of course, a 3 stage is obviously a lot of fun on a steep wake.
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-03-2004, 11:06 AM Reply   
its all about rider skill and consistancy.

Im convinced that Shaun, Parks, Randall, Andrew, etc....can do whatever on any board. The boards are tailored to their preferance.

Personally I think a steep wake is complimented with a mellow board and a mellow wake is complimented with an abrupt board. More room for error, but an abrupt board will kill on a steep wake, if you can handle it. Not much room for error on the setup.
Old    r_dub            08-03-2004, 11:15 AM Reply   
Well, I have 2 cents to add. I ride behind a Glastron I/O with a pylon. I know I know, dont make fun. It hardly has any wake, not loaded. But when it's loaded it is super steep wake. Like hitting a freakin wall! Im riding a 3 stage and I just came from a continuous. I can tell you that it was really schetchy for me at first. Took a while to get used to. Actually, I still spaz from time to time. I just thought it had to do with them being completely different boards. But maybe it did have something to do with the wake. Either way, Im getting use to it. I wouldnt say im consistant everytime, but when all goes right, I can difinitely tell a BIG difference in the pop I get.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2004, 11:20 AM Reply   
Ryan..check your e-mail.

DMC
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-03-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
There's no right or wrong here. Interesting question though - I've pondered the same thing before. All wakes are different, but...
I prefer a three stage on a heavily abrupt wake like a rear weighted SAN. I also think I get better pop with a continuous on a rampier wake. There's a couple of reasons for this and it has to do with riding style. First, if the wake is steep a continuous will sometimes get buried in the trough. The extra tip rise on a 3 stage helps keep the board from pearling. Second, an abrupt wake boots you instantly so I feel it negates my edge anyway and the 3 stage pops harder with less effort (keep in mind I don't hit the wake to land in the flats like Murray and prefer to take tricks wake to wake).
On a rampier wake the continuous suits my style better - even though I ride an Absolute right now and my wake is semi-rampy. I always felt I could take a harder edge into a rampier wake with a continuous and get more from it than a 3-stage board that I have to drive off the tail to get the same result.
It makes sense in my mind anyway.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-03-2004, 11:38 AM Reply   
david- i need your aim or e-mail address

DMC
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       08-03-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
From what i know by talking to reps. The way it's SUPPOSED to be is 3-stage for steep, continuous for rampy. At least that was the way it was discribed to me.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-03-2004, 11:45 AM Reply   
Oh, god. I don't do IM, so I'll shoot you an e-mail with that info.