Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2004

Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-10-2004, 3:16 PM Reply   
How many of you have taken wakeboarding lessons? I'm wondering if I should take some. I know enough to know there is a correct technique, which makes things much simpler and allows you to progress much faster, landing backrolls, 360s and raleys. I've had a friend of a friend, who was in town 1 day, give me (and my daughter) some extremely helpful pointers on how to do things correctly, which really helped. Now I'm wondering if I should take a lesson or two. It just seems the tricks do not come along very quickly. This is my 2nd full Summer, and I can W2W heelside only. The only 180 I can do is from swith ts to regular hs. Will lessons help much, and are they worth it?

Old    africantapwater            08-10-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
Ive just got done taking lessons and they were great. Its well worth the money, they hammer the correct technique in. Give it a shot, you'll really like it.
Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-11-2004, 3:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input. I figured it was worth the money so I'll likely do it.

Anybody else have any input?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       08-11-2004, 3:51 PM Reply   
Brad,
Make sure you do your research on schools because teaching style is very important. If the instructor can communicate and use termanology that makes sense to you, that's the most important thing. Also, if they have patience that's always a valuable quality.

Best of luck in your search,

Ryan
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       08-11-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
I've taken day lessons (4 to 6 hours) with 3 or 4 other riders in the boat and a week long camp.

I like the camp much better because of the immersion aspect of it. You're there, can take more time, talk about your runs at night with the coaches, click with other riders and get input from them, study video, use other training tools that may be available to help you make it click. However, by the end of day 3 or 4 you're going to be toast.
Old    wakeboarder408            08-11-2004, 5:19 PM Reply   
Brad, i've taken lessons twice at a northern cali school, which i will not name. I don't think its worth it but since a few friends of mine went i went too. The first time, I paid $90 for half hour and the second time I paid $125 for an hour. Since im a beginner, they just taught me the basics like edging, standing tall, etc. nothing that Shaun Murray's Detention can't teach you without having to pay that much.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-11-2004, 5:57 PM Reply   
Meet some really good riders on Wakeworld and go ride with them. It's more fun and cheaper than camp. I would get leasons when you're ready to learn the big stuff.
Old    africantapwater            08-11-2004, 6:31 PM Reply   
Mark V, its about $50 for an hour and a half out here.
Old    wakeboarder408            08-11-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
Damn, then thats a good deal. Not at where i went. That $125 for an hour is actually discounted for returning students. It's normally $135. J-Rod, I agreed with you. I just met 2 more really cool guys yesterday when we went out.
Damn, then thats a good deal. Not at where i went. That $125 for an hour is actually discounted for returning students. It's normally $135. J-Rod, I agreed with you. I just met 2 more really cool guys yesterday when we went out.
Old    howie            08-11-2004, 9:46 PM Reply   
Hey mark wakeworld rocks here are tons of good riders that teach good stuff. That school was cool but cost a pertty penny also. But i do agree with you it was alot since I did go with you. HEHEHHEHE
Old     (bdehaan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
Ryan, any suggestions on instructors/schools, since you're in the area? Thanks in advance.

J-Rod, I like your comment about getting lessons when I want to learn the big stuff, which is about where I'm at. I may be wrong, but I'm thinking lessons will help minimize the face plants and hard crashes trying to learn 360s, raleys, and back roll type stuff.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2004, 9:15 AM Reply   
Brad, exactly. I waited to go to camp. When I was ready to learn 3s and tantrums, that's when I went. For the more risky tricks, it's important to have someone telling you what you are doing wrong. So if you take a pounding, they can tell how NOT to do it again!

Jason Callen, Arun Frances, Justin Butinsky, the Conways, and Matt VDA are all experienced riders that have helped me out. AND, all guys I met through this site. Riding with guys that rip is a huge help.