Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 18, 2009

Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-08-2008, 9:46 PM Reply   
Does anyone have one as a tow vehicle and how would you rate it? Could it handle my boat? (san)Thanks!
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-08-2008, 9:55 PM Reply   
We have a 95 classic, does great, an 04 hse does great, and an 07 hse s/c and it does great too. The pull just fine.
Old     (h20jnky)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-08-2008, 10:03 PM Reply   
range rovers are rat traps!! why in the world would you want that headache? look at the resale value of any used rover and that should explain things a little.. also, the air suspension is a joke! bags go bad and the hitch would only accomodate one type of drawbar and even then it was too close to the rear bumper.. growing up in NZ, rovers were all over but my wife and i had nothing but problems with a new '06 Sport, it was a nightmare!! traded it after 8 months of british hell.. maintenance schedules, recalls, leaks and electronics failures were all very prevalent.. it will tow just as good as anything else but wanting that image is going to cost you in all kinds of ways mechanically.. we went with the escalade and even the dealer told us they "were sorry" and "should have warned us"?? wtf? buy a tahoe, escalade or something more economical, you will be thankful for the reliability..
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-08-2008, 11:10 PM Reply   
...but what do you really think, ManFox?
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-09-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
"buy a tahoe, escalade or something more economical"
I think that's pretty funny seeing they can cost $50K+ new, get 15mpg, and gas is rising every day, now over $4 a gallon here.

(Message edited by chaser on June 09, 2008)
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-09-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
DO NOT BUY A RANGE ROVER! ManFox is right on. I had nothing but problems with my 2000 HSE 4.6. Yes, it towed just fine, but my 04 Tahoe gets better mileage all-around and no where near the service and value loss headaches.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-09-2008, 9:00 AM Reply   
It's not any more economical, but it's twice the vehicle for the same cash. Buy a tahoe.
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-09-2008, 9:28 AM Reply   
I tow with an 04. It tows just fine as far as power is concerned. Brakes and the small wheelbase means the driver has to work a little extra to keep everything going straight. When my boat bounces (supra 21v) or shakes around the car really moves too. And gas usage while towing…forget about it, it’s horrible.

I haven't had the crazy reliability problems others have had. However, I’m looking to trade to a Tahoe this summer as well.
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-09-2008, 6:57 PM Reply   
I will admit to having many electrical problems on ours, not our 07 tho. A few here and there on the 04, and defiently on the 95 (my car). We have put more into our 95 then we paid for it new lol. All part of the fun, there arent many left. We have an 07 burb ltz too and we use that for the x-star and i would recommend it, tahoe + ly6= awesome. Range Rover just has the looks that its a necessity for some. We use the rovers for our donzi and sea doos.
Old     (andy13)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-10-2008, 9:11 AM Reply   
Chasin7 (chaser) wrote,
""buy a tahoe, escalade or something more economical"
I think that's pretty funny seeing they can cost $50K+ new, get 15mpg, and gas is rising every day, now over $4 a gallon here.

(Message edited by chaser on June 09, 2008)"

my tahoe gets 18 mpg so ha. And compared to my vehicle history my tahoe gets amazing gas mileage
Old     (dubwake21)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-10-2008, 11:04 AM Reply   
2004 Tahoe 15 mpg City / 19 mpg Hwy
vs.
2004 Range 12 mpg City / 16 mpg Hwy
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-10-2008, 11:08 AM Reply   
get the new Hybrid Tahoe. 21 mpg in city and about the same highway. It actually gets better mpg than stated as I test drove one.
Old     (boarder_brad)      Join Date: Jun 2008       06-10-2008, 1:40 PM Reply   
We towed with an '06 Range Rover Sport. Never had any problems with it. No problems with the receiver or air suspension. If my lease wasn't up, we'd still have it. Rocklin Land Rover did all our maintenance and they're great.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-10-2008, 1:57 PM Reply   
I have an 03 HSE, from what I have read it seems like you either end up with a good one or a really bad one... So far I haven't had any "real" problems with mine. It does act a little funny from time to time but it always seems to correct its self. The gas mileage does suck plus you have to run premium but it is the prettiest SUV on the road IMO and most people who buy one don't really care about the mileage... Oh yeah, I don't tow with mine I have a 01 Tahoe (work truck) for that... Mine is more of a toy than anything else...
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-10-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
Everyone knows the saying about the mileage mumbo jumbo, if you have to ask, you cant afford it lol. I hate that saying, it pisses me off i just read what aaron said about how people who buy them dont care about mileage. I just got told yesterday that my parents wont even help me a little bit with gas when i get my rover, its a 95 and its over $100 to fill up and gets around 10mpg, it fn SUCKS. With no job and paying my phone bills, wakeboard gear, motocross gear, clothes etc, and football everyday, its a biotch to afford gas. Having a somewhat heavy car is an advantage with momentum and gravity on big hills. Neutral....coasttttt haha I know many of you may rag on me saying "you think your life is hard!" I'm only 16 remember, having school and sports and a job is hard as hell. I'm glad my parents dont hand me things, they make me work my a$$ off to get it, but once your there, its the best feeling knowing that you worked you a$$ off all by yourself to get it. And i'll be better prepared for the real world and wont have a rude awakening when my parents arent there to support me.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-10-2008, 6:28 PM Reply   
sell it and get something cheaper to drive. You can get a used Honda or Toyota for cheap... may not be as "cool" to drive but it would solve a problem.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-10-2008, 8:15 PM Reply   
just for the record I have an 07 tahoe and it gets 14mpg city or highway, 12 while towing.
Old     (markj)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-10-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
Wow, thanks for the responses. I just talked to the one guy I know who has one and he told me his horror stories. He said he bought a 2 year old 2004 with 22,000 miles for 34,000. It originally sold for 75,000. Since then it has had suspension problems etc. and a complete new engine installed. All of this work has cost his warranty provider over 20,000. I guess it was worth the 3,400 he paid for the warranty. He also told me if he had to do it all over again he wouldn't buy it again. Thanks again for the comments. I guess we'll keep the 2001 Denali which we've never had one problem with (knock on wood).
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-10-2008, 9:59 PM Reply   
Twitch got some ballast in the back of his boat (profile pic). J/K
Old     (themxercr85)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-10-2008, 10:28 PM Reply   
hey! thats my aunt! haha just playin but yeah tell me about it, i save a shiat load of doe on fat sacs with my moms side of the family when they come to visit hahaha
Old     (boss210)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-11-2008, 1:59 AM Reply   
dude if thats a full size rover thats a sick ride, you'll be stylin, go with the rover, if its the full size thats a sick ride
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       06-11-2008, 4:55 AM Reply   
I have a friend with nothing but problems also.... I got a landcruiser ad love it. Not the greatest as far as MPG but I didn't get it to tow with. It tows just fine though. Even a load that is more than it is rated for.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-12-2008, 12:54 PM Reply   
I'm could not be happier with my 08 Sequoia as a tow vehicle. Rated for 9500#, has a terrific torque and transmission. The ski boat is no challenge for the rig. Traded my old Landcruiser which was a dog. The new Landcruiser would also be great but I didn't think the price was justified.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-12-2008, 1:07 PM Reply   
tim, i have to agree with you on the new 08 sequoia. tows awesome. much better than my 07 tahoe 4wd.
Old     (2onboone)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-12-2008, 1:19 PM Reply   
hey yall wanting a yukon or tahoe
my wife has a 2007 loaded denali she wants out of
Old     (kcampos)      Join Date: Jul 2007       06-12-2008, 3:24 PM Reply   
I have to say that the 08 Sequoia has way more torque than my 03 Sequoia but my 03 Sequoia tows just fine. Granted I have a Sanger V210 so the weight isn't as heavy as some of those bigger boats but I could not be happier with my Sequoia. 16 MPG towing
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       06-12-2008, 3:34 PM Reply   
Matt,

We want an 07' Denali XL, but can pick one up at Auction for high 20's low 30's. Everyone wants out of big rigs with gas prices and most are too upside-down to sell. We'll probably hit the auction this fall and get a clean repo that someone walked away from due to gas prices.

On topic, we looked hard at Rover Sport but the horror stories made us pass. Same price to have a good tow rig and a sporty sedan when not towing as the RRS.
Old     (cody_08_lsv)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-12-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
all wheel drive 6.2 liter denali...its like nothings even behind you when you are pulling
Old     (goinboardn)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-13-2008, 2:47 PM Reply   
bthom is spot on... you either get a good one or if you have a bad one you are in trouble. I had very few problems with my 2000 and my current 2003 has been very nice to me. It is a gamble that is well worth it... The full size RR is amazing! and tows my boat effortlessly.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-13-2008, 2:55 PM Reply   
another vote for the Denali. We love our '07 XL. Tows like a dream, air suspension is fantastic, and 6.2 plus 6 speed is a great combo.

Just came back from a week in Tahoe with the family, it swallowed up all our gear as well, no problem. Such a huge step up from our previous '01 Durango, I can't even tell you.
Old     (gobigorgohome)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-13-2008, 4:49 PM Reply   
Range Rover mileage should be ok - after all, most trips are done on the back of a tow truck aren't they? Stay away from RR, they're built for posers.