Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 08, 2008

Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2008, 7:35 AM Reply   
The sea trials continue!!! We purchased our '05 21v over the winter and have been fixing little bugs ever since. This time, we were left stranded with no boats in sight. My wife pulled me first and the boat ran fine, but when I go to pull her the boat dies every time I put it in gear. I try twice and then decided to let it sit for a while. After about 5 min. I try again. It fires but quickly dies. We flag down the only person in the cove which is a Sea Doo! He is very eager to see if his brand new Sea Doo will pull us back. After a hour and a half tow back to the marina, we get a wild hair and decide to try one more time. Boat fires right up!!!! Get home and pull the fuel filter and can hardly blow air though it (gotta love the taste of gas). Replace the filter and head back to the lake and ride the rest of the evening with no problems. I hope the problem was just the filter. How often should you change the fuel filter? Our previous boat was a '99 MB B52 and it had been in the family since it was new and we never replaced the fuel filter, but it was alot different and alot bigger. Should this be changed at the same time the oil is changed? I think that is what I am going to do anyways because I don't like to be stranded on the water!!!!
Old     (siuski)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-05-2008, 7:52 AM Reply   
I usually change mine after the first tank of the season and I have never had an issue. FWIW 100-150 hours/year.
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-05-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
Where is the fuel filter?? Does it say in the manual? (I couldn't find it in there)

Thanks!
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2008, 8:11 AM Reply   
It is under the rear seat beside the ballast pump. It is a silver inline fuel filter. Took me forever to find it. I was looking for a big water seperator filter like on our old MB.
Old     (dcb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-05-2008, 8:19 AM Reply   
change it once a year unless you get bad gas somewhere. napa carries them for about five bucks
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-05-2008, 8:24 AM Reply   
Thanks! Is there a specific type of filter?

I just double-checked the manual, the index says it's in there but I don't see it.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-05-2008, 8:26 AM Reply   
It is a NAPA filter. I don't remember the number. You can see while in the boat, but I just removed the old one and took it to NAPA.
Old     (dcb)      Join Date: Mar 2006       05-05-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
napa 3248
Old     (tpyle)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-05-2008, 10:25 AM Reply   
Buy and extra and keep it on the boat with you. I've had to replace mine out on the water.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-05-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
This happened to me too. My fuel filter was also clogged pretty bad and I haven't had the problem since. I talked to the dealer and they said SC is now recommending changing the fuel filter every 50hrs. If it happens to you again you can take the cap off the valve on the fuel rail (kinda looks like the cap on a tire stem valve) and push the pin in to bleed off the aerated gas vapor and then it should start right up.
Old     (yubasanger)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-06-2008, 12:05 AM Reply   
Correct me if I am wrong but it should have the inline canister filter on the stringer that you are talking about then it should also have water separating fuel filter on the motor. No? Water separator looks like an oil filter. Fuel filters should be done every season or 100 hours whatever comes first.
Old     (wakebdr2002)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-06-2008, 5:22 AM Reply   
The 21V doesnt have a water separating fuel filter - only the inline filter.
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-06-2008, 5:07 PM Reply   
what about the 20ftSSV? Is it in the same spot? Anyone know?
Old     (megatmoe)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-10-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
anyone?
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-10-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure my 05 22ssv only has a in line filter as well.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-10-2008, 5:37 PM Reply   
Wow that's really cheap