Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 05, 2004

Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-25-2004, 6:26 AM Reply   
the article about the grabs on the front page of this site is good, but if I am not mistaken the girl in the pics of the mute grab is actually grabing slob, right?????
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2004, 6:35 AM Reply   
Mike,Jason, Bill, Dave great work on the article!!!! But he is right it is a slob grab (But I think we can overlook it, don't want to be changing a pic of Will now do we )
Oh and Dave the link from the front page "goofy" link is sending me to the "regular" list.
Old     (snwbrder)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-25-2004, 6:35 AM Reply   
Where is the Roast beef and chicken salad?
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2004, 6:41 AM Reply   
Troy: Slob, tindy, tail-fish, Nuclear-fish, crail, mosquito, seatbelt, Nuclear........there's a bunch more that weren't in the article. But still have to say, I never seen such a good article explaining how to do grabs. Great for those people who are still learning to master them.

(Message edited by kristian on March 25, 2004)
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-25-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
I took these from a similar dicussion last year. I wish I knew who made them so I could give credit where credit is due.
regular

goofy
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-25-2004, 9:57 AM Reply   
As you can see from the links to the grab guide, it's described as a "basic" grab guide. That's why you only see the basics. We'll be doing another one with the more advanced grabs soon.

Yes, that grab by Will leans towards slob, but, oddly enough, I'm having trouble getting a pic of a solid mute grab, but I'm still working on it! :-)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-25-2004, 10:04 AM Reply   
Oh, and the link is fixed. Thanks for the heads up!
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-25-2004, 11:12 AM Reply   
Awesome chart!!!!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-25-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
I hit the archives and found a better pic featuring Jimmy Wolf. Let me know what you think.
Old     (harryhog)      Join Date: Mar 2003       03-25-2004, 1:20 PM Reply   
why does it say "do not grab here"??? on the parks board grab guide?
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-25-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
Many people seem to think it's lame. Too easy, I guess. I think if it feels good, do it.

I've also heard grabbing there called a tindy.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
The Tindy (Tail-indy) is ment to be un-"legit". But I think it can be really cool with a shifty and nosebone.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-25-2004, 2:15 PM Reply   
FYI leins aren't a back hand grab--they're a method grab done on a frontside air. There are actually all sorts of mistakes on that chart.

I would recommend that if anyone is interested in learning about grabs that you check out a skateboarding magazine. I've found that in order to really understand where you're at, you have to go back to the beginning. And that may sound cheesy, but it's true...
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-25-2004, 2:34 PM Reply   
haha, I have skated for like 20 years and wakeboarded 10 and never cared what a grab was called. I just grab tweek that sucker out and hang on. It all about fun and the feeling you get from a good grab. The feeling will never go away in my twisted little world.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-25-2004, 2:46 PM Reply   
I don't know Dave. Jimmy Wolf grab look-a-like a Crail to me.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-25-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
Dammit Thane! If you would do the occasional Mute grab, Bill would have given me your pic to put on there!!

Crail is a rear hand grab. That pic is a front hand grab.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-25-2004, 3:21 PM Reply   
Let's ask the expert. KRISTIAN?!

Let's go to the lake RIGHT NOW and I'll do Mute grabs all day LONG!!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-25-2004, 4:38 PM Reply   
i was just about to say the same thing - that looks like a shifty ts crail crab.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-25-2004, 10:15 PM Reply   
That's fine for you squid, but there are people that want to know what grab they're performing. Grabs have changed in translation from skateboarding to snowboarding and then to wakeboarding. That's why I recommend that people at least look at some skating mags and stuff like that...at least you'll know about it, and it's not uncool to be smart or anything.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-25-2004, 10:26 PM Reply   
Thane, C-stack, I don't know what you are talking about, that's a mute grab, right Dave
Old    buttacup            03-25-2004, 11:00 PM Reply   
Dave- you forgot Paula's crotchwaffle or is that going in the advnaced grab index? Sorry some English guy dared me to type this.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-26-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
there used to be a grab index at wakeboarding mags website too. Question on "Tindy" grabs: I have seen many PRO snowboarders do this grab, so why is it not legit for wakeboarders???
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-26-2004, 9:00 AM Reply   
ya the whole tindy grab not being "legit" is just lame. many pro wakeboarders do it also.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-26-2004, 11:19 AM Reply   
I think a Tindy BS 3 is one of the coolest moves there is. Off the D-Up it is nice and slow and reeks of style, hooray for tindy!

(Message edited by stephan on March 26, 2004)
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-26-2004, 11:25 AM Reply   
I agree. I think labeling a particular section of the board as off limits to grabs is "lame!" If you can make it look good, I say grab it!!
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-26-2004, 12:25 PM Reply   
forrest, how old were these pictures? Please don't tell me it was damien sanders!

Seriously, any self respecting pro snowboarder doesn't grab tindy or talifish...

Tindy's and talifishes don't exist...the aforementioned names are knocks, and they aren't complimentary. My example always goes like this: where are the trick tips for tindy's and tailfishes? They certainly aren't the same as an indy and stalefish. But many other grabs are butchered, so what's the use.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-26-2004, 1:18 PM Reply   
Damien Sanders...oh man, he used to rock!!! Does he still ride? But back to grabs...i saw them grabing "tindy" in one of my vids...might be in Amp, or maybe Destroyer...I may have to watch them all again to let you know...

BTW, I like Daves comment..."if you can make it look good grab it"....LOL Man thats funny, now I wnt to know where the "Michael Jackson" grab is??? LOL
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-26-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
"Seriously, any self respecting pro snowboarder doesn't grab tindy or talifish..."

wow. such adherence to a completely arbitrary and out-dated standard is surprising.

there's obviously no reason for such rigidity other than conformity for the sake of acceptance in a group. it smacks of elitism - assuming the commonly given reason of the grabs being "too easy" or usually done by newbies as "lazy" versions of "legitimate" grabs. progression is all about new takes on old ways, as well as entirely new ways.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-26-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
Well said...I think....I'm going to look up a couple of Chris' words to be sure.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-26-2004, 7:20 PM Reply   
Listen, I'm not here to get into some sort of grab argument. My comment is based on the fact that snowboarders really respect skateboarding and they all know that skating is harder than snowboarding. As alex chalmers put it, "you can't deny skateboarding's influence on snowboarding." It's just about respecting one's forefathers and roots. In skateboarding, there are no tindy's, no tail fishes, and no frontside indy's, etc. Some people scoff at this and say "Hey, I want to be original, I want to do what I want, etc." and that's fine, I never said ANYONE had to ride my way, but you can obviously tell where my opinion lies. The truth of the matter is that tindy's and tailfishes aren't original and they've been done for years, then dropped.

Quite frankly, I think tindy's and tailfishes are outdated, but to each his own, I suppose. "It's 2004, live in the now!" (That was inspired by wayne's world--I highly recommend that movie).

Anyway, i'm not too worried. Wakeboarding is still in its young phase and when snowboarding was here (this young, I mean), tindy's were all the rage. My theory is that they were performed because of the 12 inch stance...you know, they weren't very stinky. And people liked to bone them out...and I guess tindy's worked well for that. Anyway, the stance thing is basically my theory on how some grabs changed from skating to snowboarding.

Forrest, for you, a lil damien sanders with a dash of tailfish (1990). RESPECT! You know, I don't know if he's still riding...that's a good question. And I think the MJ grab is on the "ace."

Oh yeah, this video has some good ol' fashioned shredding on some thruster ski boards...
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-26-2004, 9:12 PM Reply   
ah no one's tryin' ta argue with ya chef. it's just funny to me when folks use the argumentum ad antiquitatem to justify something (look that one up jarrod! )
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-29-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
>>Quite frankly, I think tindy's and tailfishes are outdated, but to each his own, I suppose. "It's 2004, live in the now!" (That was inspired by wayne's world--I highly recommend that movie).<<

I am not trying to start anything, but you talk about being out dated, when did Waynes World come out????????????????????????????????????????? LOL

Just because it's old dosen't mean it's no good anymore.....I would love to have an "outdated" '69 Camero.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       03-29-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
You wouldn't have the outdated mullet to go with that camaro would ya?

Old     (phil_deez)      Join Date: Jan 2003       03-29-2004, 10:59 AM Reply   
Craig,

I was the one who created that grab guide. I got tired of everyone in the boat calling the grabs something different or asking what grab was that. So I made those up and printed them out and laminated them so I could leave them in the boat for everyone to review. I'm glad you like them.

~later~
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-29-2004, 11:50 AM Reply   
no no no....never have, never will.... Although I do miss my long hair....damn corporate america...
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-30-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
Good quotes never die forrest...especially since that's the best SNL movie ever. Danny harf even pilfered a quote from that movie and used it in the alliance quote section a few years ago.

Tindys and tailfishes are much older than waynes world. I guess I'm pulling out of this one--cars and grabs are two different things, and you seriously can't compare a grab to a car. Later
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       03-30-2004, 10:14 AM Reply   
What about mullets?
Old    dinker            03-30-2004, 10:54 AM Reply   
Harf has been pulling alot of tindy's in the mags lately thought I would let everyone know there is a pro out there doing them
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       03-30-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
Yeah, and scott jobe called him out on it in the "danny" issue. And another pro doing a tindy was one of the ennen's in the latest alliance..did you see the caption for that shot?

Anyway, I thought I would come on here and apologize because grabs and cars ARE alike. For instance, tindys and tailfishes are like delorians and pintos. So, I guess you CAN compare cars to grabs. Peace, chappies, and good day...