Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 23, 2006

Old    dfaught            02-11-2006, 4:37 PM Reply   
It looks like I may be relocating from Austin, TEXAS (one of the most awesome places in the world) to the Washington DC area. My question is...are there any lakes you can wakeboard on there? People keep telling us that there are lakes, but we have not been able to find any!! Please help :-(
Old     (ethomass)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-11-2006, 7:16 PM Reply   
Lake Anna is somewhat nearby. I live in college park which is north of DC and it is only an hour and a half with towing the boat. Check out DCwake.com
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-12-2006, 12:49 PM Reply   
Hey DFaught,

There is a small but growing community here in D.C. Check out www.dcwake.com
I live in northern VA and I ride all over the region. look me up and I'll take you for a pull when you get here.
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-12-2006, 7:04 PM Reply   
Lakes in DC: None
Lakes in Md: Deep Creek (about 3+ hours drive)
Lakes in Va: Lots (closest is Anna)

Ditto dcwake.com

We'll see you this summer.

Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-13-2006, 1:39 PM Reply   
Although.....
If we could get footage of a winch session on the tidal basen we would be international wakeboarding heros.
Come-on Chase, my wife will bail us out if we dont get shot:-)
Old     (rockledge)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-13-2006, 5:48 PM Reply   
oh! now the cat's out of the bag swampy. We're gonna have to throw down now.
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-14-2006, 6:51 AM Reply   
better yet, winch through the C&O canal in G'town...I've been eyeballing it for a year!!!
Old     (sylv2080)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-14-2006, 9:17 AM Reply   
dfaught,

I work in the baltimore-dc area but live in up Gettysburg, Pa. There is a great lake in PA about 2.5 hours from Baltimore called Raystown Lake. It is about 120 miles of shoreline and surrounded by state game lands..............There are only 2 resorts on the entire lake!!!!! Check it out..... I know it doesn't solve the "local lake" issue.....but it is great for weekends!!! luckily I live in a private lake community so I drive about 1/2 mile to my boat on my lift. Anytime you want a pull drop me a line......Our marina brings in Tige sponsered riders every summer @ least once!!!! Enjoy that nice weather while you can!
Old     (sid)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-15-2006, 6:37 AM Reply   
Yo dfaught,
I live in vienna va. Lake ANNA is cool and there are a bunch of rivers in the area. I am on a private lake in Winchester most of the time but my crew will hit the rivers whenever we can. Get in touch for a pull when you get in town.
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-15-2006, 10:46 AM Reply   
I second SID,

With all the talk about lakes, no one has mentioned the closest D.C. riding spot, the Potomac River, I know that Wade and Chase ride there. Bottom line is that there are plenty of spots to ride and plenty of willing riders.

Chase, I really liked your article on DCwake. You and Wade are doing a good job. Thanks to both of you. Wade, I'm down with C&O. I wonder how fast those barge mules could run with a wakeboarder attached!

Ride On
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-15-2006, 3:31 PM Reply   
hell yeah for the C&O...maybe a barge mule on crack :-) I wonder how long it would take them to arrest us. Attached is a photo, it's not great, but you get the idea.

canal
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-16-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
Anyone ride on the eastern shore in the Wye river or Choptank river? That's where we should be this summer!
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-16-2006, 5:57 PM Reply   
Hey NJSkier,

I ride on the Eastern shore in MD but farther south. I ride on the Patuxent river near Solomons Island.

I'm always up for a boarder exchange. Come on down for a pull with our crew and then we'll come up for pull with you.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-16-2006, 7:29 PM Reply   
Glen, sounds good. This will be a new spot for me to ride this year. I live in NJ, but will be camping weekends in MD. I'm hoping these rivers have good riding conditions.
Old     (sid)      Join Date: Sep 2004       02-17-2006, 9:26 AM Reply   
I have ridden the WYE river before. Great Spot. I want to hit the norther part of the severn river as well this year.
Old    h60swimmer            02-21-2006, 7:39 AM Reply   
Hey Glen its Mikie thought you were moving...anyway the wife and I can't wait till the weather gets better.
Old     (ethomass)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-21-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
Jon, the wye is a great spot, will be visited often this summer. Northern part of the severn is sweet. Weekends gets crazy, early morning the ski club is running (they get angry casue their course is in the best spot). But otherwise its awesome, we see quite a few boats out there.
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       02-21-2006, 1:35 PM Reply   
I ride the delta area all the time, but this year I will be spending time in D.C because of work. So I will be all over getting pulls with all you easterners and checking out dcwake.
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-22-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
Hey Mike!

How are you man. Had a good time riding with you guys last year. I did move. I live in northern VA now. I still plan on doing some riding down your way. Also, maybe you two would like to join us for a weekend down at Smith Mountain Lake in VA.

Keep in touch and we'll definately hook up for some pulls in 06
Old     (aep6475)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-22-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
People actually ride the Potomac? I am just visiting here for a few months and drive by it every day, what the heck is that smell?? And thanks for the link, I was wondering if anyone else rides around here, I leave late May and am hoping the water is warm enough to get in before then.
Old     (ethomass)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-23-2006, 5:39 AM Reply   
Anthony if you have a wetsuit and are willing im sure you could get out in april.
Old    natter            02-23-2006, 2:50 PM Reply   
I ride the potomac all the time. I've been out in march for the past four years. Water temp. mid 50's.
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-23-2006, 5:53 PM Reply   
Anthony,

That smell is all the bull s*&#. It is Washington D.C. after all.
Old     (aep6475)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-23-2006, 5:55 PM Reply   
That's good to hear guys, thanks for the info. I didn't bring any of my gear with me out here, but I'll go pick some up if the chance arises. I'm working 2 on 2 off so I'll have quite a bit of free time here. If the weather stays like it is right now, this is going to be a nice spring.
Old    h60swimmer            02-27-2006, 6:52 AM Reply   
Glen, Renee and I would love to check that place out...we are actually thinking about doing the Glass and Powder contests this year so we will be around that area.
Old     (swampboy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-27-2006, 3:45 PM Reply   
Right-on Mikie,

G&P puts on two events a year at Smith Mountain Lake as part of their Mid-Atlantic series. Our families town house is right down the street from the event site. I would like to put together a little crew to go to one of these events. Six people can stay with us and if the group grows too large, the event site is on the grounds of a water-front hotel with Docks. Lets make it happen! When they announce the date of the event I will ask the DCwake guys to post something on their site.
Later,
Glen