Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (rideut)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-04-2005, 4:38 PM Reply   
Ok so how many peoples have injured there "aklies tendon" sp? I pulled something really close to it and it is taking for every to heal. Anyone injured this much needed piece of the anatomy, how long did it take to heal and what did you do to help the process?
Old     (wakeboardwade)      Join Date: Apr 2004       04-04-2005, 6:08 PM Reply   
well last year i landed in the flat insane hardcore hard, and it still hurts bad i didnt think i didnt anything to it till i tried to get my bindings off. It is getting better slower and slower though
Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-04-2005, 6:13 PM Reply   
What's an aklies?
Old     (tallman)      Join Date: May 2004       04-04-2005, 6:21 PM Reply   
Bad news for rideut. I injured my left ankle last May and it still hasn't heeled properly. I went to the doctor and had a MRI and some Xrays taken, but the doctor seem unconcerned and told me to stay off it for a while. WELL its been quite a while. Last October 13th to be exact and I did my exersices all winter and my ankle still isn't very strong. Yesterday i was on Trampoline for the first time this year and when I was done I had limp because my ankle was sore. I hope your heels better than mine did, but as a general rule I think ankle injuries take quite a while to heel. But what do I know I'm not a doctor.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-04-2005, 7:30 PM Reply   
Ok Mike,
What did you do now?????? I'm suppose to be the injured one remember! You don't want to be the designated boat driver this summer do you? Just kidding man.

So how exactly did you hurt your achilles tendon? Have you had it examined by a doctor yet?
Old     (jrad)      Join Date: Mar 2004       04-04-2005, 8:23 PM Reply   
dude im in your same position. i injured my ankle and am expecting to be out for a few weeks easily.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-04-2005, 10:17 PM Reply   
You guys should all know that Jared is a big sally. Jared would you sack up and get over it. All joking aside ankles are extremely difficult to heal. I broke mine & thats a simple fix. Ligament damage is a much more serious process and can take a long time. Keep up the physical therapy & be sure to work on your flexibility. Jared are you off work yet? sheesh
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       04-05-2005, 7:48 AM Reply   
A couple years ago I rolled my ankle bad skateboarding and pulled just about every ligament down there. I was on crutches for a month, no pressure whatsoever on it. then it took almost 6 months to completely heal. Ankle injuries take a while to heal.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-05-2005, 8:52 AM Reply   
Maybe you had a slight tear in the achilles tendon?

Like everyone else said, those tendons around the ankle seem to take a long time to heal. I had stretched mine out(the right side of my left ankle) pretty good around January and it is just now feeling good after a set on the wakeboard. I mainly just rode the wakeskate and took it easy for a couple months...it never hurt after riding the skate (mellow riding), but I tried to get on the tramp a couple times and it would get sore.
Good luck.

I remember, Ryan. How's the leg holding up?
Old     (jklein)      Join Date: May 2001       04-05-2005, 9:03 AM Reply   
The reason tendons take so long to heal is that there's very little blood flow in those areas. Warm it up with a heating pad a couple of times a day for about 20 minutes to promote blood flow in the area, followed by ice to slow blood dissapation from the same area. Keep stretching too, but not during the heat/ice therapy. Do it just before the therapy. Do this for about 4 weeks and you'll be as good as new.
Old     (aidan)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-05-2005, 11:46 AM Reply   
Took 2 years for the ankle pain to finally go away
Old     (matt_h)      Join Date: Jun 2002       04-05-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
I severely sprained both my ankles my senior year in high school, one in football, one in track(pole vault), it took about 3-4 years for the ligaments to tighten back up and not feel loose.
Old     (rideut)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-05-2005, 3:46 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the good advise looks like im for a long ride and going to have to suck it up and start a little rehab training.

Ryan, I rolled it on a swat hit I did last Tuesday night. I zigged on a set stairs when I should have zagged. It feels like I tore the muscle that attaches my calf to heel. It pretty much goes down the out side of my heel. I haven ‘t gone to the doctor yet. I though the few days off I had would help. I haven’t gotten back to running yet in fear it will re injure it. BTW I got the auto ballast done in my boat and im just waiting for the weather to warm up to de winterize.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       04-05-2005, 4:13 PM Reply   
I've injured my ankle twice wakeboarding. 2 years ago, I was riding along, then for some reason off of a jump, I fell and it ripped my left foot out of the bindings and I twisted completely on my right ankle. It took me forever to get the binding off my foot, and when I did, my ankle swelled up like crazy. So I tough it out and about a week later I'm back to a little riding again. My ankle is sore, but not sore enough to keep me off my board. Needless to say, for some reason, the EXACT same thing happens to the same ankle. So now I've double injured the same ankle from the same type of accident, so I decided to take a couple weeks and let it heal properly before being stupid and riding on it before it's better.
So, the moral of the story is, don't ride on a bad ankle, cause you might hurt it even worse.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       04-06-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
Mike,
I wouldn't wait to get it checked out and definitely don't run on it yet. If you did tear something in the Achilles area, it will need some time to heal since it's a sensitive area.

Glad to hear that the ballast is done, can't wait to check it out! My vacation is coming to an end fast. I only have 12 more days here in Hawaii and the weather hasn't been nice, but at least we're able to ride right? I've only had 1 day so far that I've felt really solid on the board but it's slowly coming back. I've had to learn ALL my tricks again, and my timing is still off which is making it difficult to get consistent on anything.

Anyways, I hope your ankle turns out to be nothing serious and the weather will be changing for the better soon in SLC.

See you all soon
Old    deltahoosier            04-06-2005, 3:59 PM Reply   
Guy at work felt a little something in his achilles while starting to run after hitting a softball. He was kind of limping around for a bit and then went to the doctor a week later. Next thing he knew his was scheduled for surgery and was in a non-weight bearing cast for eight weeks. He tore his achilles partially. He had the option not to have surgery, but, the risk of re-tearing it was pretty high.

I felt a pull on my achilles during a softball game once. No big deal during the game. Did not even slow me down. The next day, my ankle was super stiff. I would just walk it off and the ankle would loosen up. I even played basketball and all that junk and it would feel fine after warmed up. I got tired of it being sore and went to the doctor. I was put through rehab and the scar tissue was building up but, it was staying inflammed. Finally they had to put me in a walking cast for a few weeks.

Be careful with it and especially if it is a work related injury. Make sure you document it.
Old     (piranha)      Join Date: Aug 2004       04-07-2005, 4:35 AM Reply   
Brad Pitt looked really hot as Achilles in the movie Troy. Too bad he got hit in the heal with that arrow at the end.
Old     (davidbouvier)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-12-2005, 6:44 PM Reply   
mike, sorry to hear about hte ankle. my neighbor ruptured his achille's playing b-ball with his kid. they had to do surgery to repair it and reattach it. hope you feel better. we're all getting to old. we'll have to make the geriatric club.
Old     (craig_riddle)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-12-2005, 7:53 PM Reply   
I bent my right ankle forward on a fall during the first set at Powell last fall and it still isn't right. That's been about 6 months now.

It was never anything serious but it is taking forever to heal. I keep thinking it's better and then when I least expect it, it will bind on me and about knock me down.

Good Luck with that, snot rag.

Dave, how's the shoulder doing? It looks like this weekend could be the real start of the season. Anybody planning on going out this weekend?
Old     (rideut)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-12-2005, 9:38 PM Reply   
Dave, I hear you...as long as this club meets at a handicaped accessable place. The ankle is getting better but I havent really put it through the paces yet.

I plan on getting my boat de winterized on friday. Im not sure what the weather is going to be this weekend but if its nice I plan on getting out.
Old     (davidbouvier)      Join Date: Aug 2002       04-13-2005, 6:37 PM Reply   
craig, how you doing? haven't heard from you in a while. shoulder is doing alright. should be ready to go soon.

mike, give me a ring if you go out. I have all seekend off, and Dawn is in Florida. I can be a third. don't really feel like making a drive to utah lake though. willard is a bit of a drive for you, but i know it's way up. I wanted to get my boat out soon too, see if it all still works, before the weather starts to get nice.

you guys have to check out paul's teaser if you hadn't yet. way cool. it's on find a third post.
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       04-15-2005, 2:07 PM Reply   
John Klein- Are you a doctor or physical therapist? I'm going to have to try out the not/cold therapy routine!

I know that both myself and Kevin (Big X Star) have ankle injuries as well. I've blown both my ankles out and most recently rolled the right one over going huge on the tramp. One thing I can suggest to everyone on this thread is get a wobble or balance board. These are great for working your ankles and getting stability back. I've had great success with these when I focus on rehab...