Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-31-2005, 4:23 PM Reply   
I'm interested in hearing from riders who have spent a lot of time on both wakes. I've ridden behind the older VLX (current V-ride) many times and loved it. I currently own an 01 LSV. I'm now considering a new VLX. I'm sure the wake changed along with the new hull design. Can anyone give me a comparison? It's looking like I might get to ride on Conway's tomorrow, but I'm still interested in the opinions, or more importantly, the preferences.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-31-2005, 4:29 PM Reply   
old vlx = (with additional weight) very nice, big wake, solid, rampy
new vlx = (with additional weight and wedge) very nice, big wake, very solid, steep (not as steep as super air or x-2)
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       05-31-2005, 4:31 PM Reply   
Buzz has an 05 VLX, and I have to say, I think it's much better than the 04 VLX. I think that the 05 VLX has the best wake for a stock boat. Here lately, he's been running extra sac's in the back, and a little lead in the front, without the wedge, which makes for a very, very nice wake. He'll post here shortly, and give you the specifics. So, if you couldn't figure out which way I was leaning... The 05 VLX kicks ass.

-Blake
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-31-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
Joe, the new VLX has a steeper wake than the older one?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-31-2005, 4:39 PM Reply   
jrod, come to think of it, i may not have responded accurately.

if you were referring to the pre-wedge vlx (2000-01 (or 02)), then my statement above is right.

if "old vlx" meant '03 and '04, then disregard.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-31-2005, 4:43 PM Reply   
old meaning previous hull design. So, say 04 to 05 comparison.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-31-2005, 4:46 PM Reply   
my bad, jrod.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       05-31-2005, 4:48 PM Reply   
Damn-it Joe, you're always messing stuff up !

-Blake
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-31-2005, 4:53 PM Reply   
sorry...drank too much delta water over the weekend.
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-31-2005, 4:56 PM Reply   
The wedge sucks. Add more wieght to the nose, you get a better effect. The wake narrows and steepens and become more solid.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-31-2005, 5:00 PM Reply   
Which of the two are you giving your opinion on Snead?

On my boat, the Wedge makes the wake steep and adding weight to the front flattens the wake.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-31-2005, 5:12 PM Reply   
When I originally heard that Malibu was gonna change the VLX, I was pissed. But...no longer, the new one is outrageous. We are just now figuring out how to load it. With just 2 people, 780 lead, a fat sack and a keg sack, it kills. After tomorrow, J-Rod will have rave reviews.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       05-31-2005, 5:17 PM Reply   
PS - the wedge works better with this VLX. It has value with the boarder & family that does not want a bunch of fatsacks croading the boat. With it, the wake is very steep. We do not use it. Derek likes natural weight.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-31-2005, 5:28 PM Reply   
http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=14800

Video is from an '05 VLX, wedge, stock tanks (4 tanks) and 7 average size peeps (I carried the most "human" ballast). No additional ballast...
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-31-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   
the wedge rocks. On the last '03 VLX that I rode behind, made a sweet lip at the top of the ramp. Kicked the board right up into your hands.
Old     (erik_c)      Join Date: Jan 2005       05-31-2005, 6:22 PM Reply   
I could bolt a truck bumper on my hull and get 1200 pounds right on the swim step but I would much prefer an x-2 solid clean still the best.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-31-2005, 6:24 PM Reply   
it was just a matter of time...
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-31-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
Hey Tommy,

Chris likes ours just fine with stock ballast and no wedge, I'm sure we will add ballast at some point in the future but for now I'm sure not complaining.

Jrod,

As near as Buff and I can tell the stock 05 with optional front ballast tank, stock mid and rear tanks & wedge is about the same sizewise as his 04 with lead/rear and front sacks added (1200+ addition lbs over stock). I spent a fair amount of time driving his 04 last spring and I can tell you the biggest difference is the way the 05 drives. I could barely see over the dash driving the 04 even with the bolster seat folded up. On the 05 I don't even need it. The 05 is a dream going down Vic., no bouncing even with full current/rollers - wedge up or down! The 05 obviously has more V extended deeper into the hull as well as it crosses other wakes/ DU's with almost no slap. I know boats will always get better but this is the best overall package I've ever been in.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-31-2005, 7:41 PM Reply   
Erik, your opinion is biased! Besides, this is the VLX to VLX thread. Not the X-2 to VLX thread.

Thanks for the feedback Tom and Rich. Hmmm..maybe I need to come ride with you and Chris too just to make sure I like it! haha Okay...I just want to see Chris rip.
Old     (kaben)      Join Date: Apr 2001 Location: Sacramento, CA       06-01-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
J-Rod, I agree with Rich on the way the new VLX handles. The wake is nice and solid. I was very impressed with the overall quality of the boat.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-01-2005, 8:47 AM Reply   
Hey Jrod- I calle dyou back yesterday. Come out and ride with me this week and I'll let you try the '05 yourself. I can also probably help you get a better deal on it.

I think it handles way better, the wake is harder and steeper, and tons more room.
Old     (snead)      Join Date: Jul 2001       06-01-2005, 1:57 PM Reply   
I was refereing to the old style. I don't know if we found a magical formula, but we slammed the nose and the wake got real peaky and narrow, and still was big. We ran about 2800-3000#'s

The wedge adds alip to the wake, I just dont care for. Plus it makes it drive like a tank.

(Message edited by snead on June 01, 2005)