Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 17, 2003

Old    sprucie            09-23-2003, 6:46 PM Reply   
I am moving to a lake house in NOV. I was wanting to put in a boat lift for an X10. The airlift style is what I must use.

Anyone have any suggestions? Which company or type plus I was also thinking about building one this winter as a project. Problem is I can't find a place to buy just the pontoons.

So how bout some help please.
Old     (lehmur)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-23-2003, 8:16 PM Reply   
Mine is a Hydro-hoist. This is one of the most popular brands in my area. Not the cheapest, but very good quality. You should check around for local brands and dealers. If you do a search for boat lifts on the web you'll get tons of hits.
Old     (cyclonecj)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-23-2003, 11:01 PM Reply   
Look for a used one, you can get a great deal if you ask around the lake. Rich people (lake house) give that stuff away sometimes.
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-27-2003, 8:10 AM Reply   
What lake are you moving to?
Old    sprucie            09-27-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
Old Hickory, on the Mt Juliet side.
Old    sprucie            09-27-2003, 9:41 AM Reply   
Lee not sure if you remember we came in and bought a FATSAC earlier this year. We have a yellow X10 (sorry) aand live in Memphis now. I believe I spoke with you about MBC and Cooper a couple of times
Old    sprucie            09-27-2003, 9:42 AM Reply   
got any boatlift suggestions?
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-27-2003, 9:42 AM Reply   
Next time your are in town come by Ski Hut to see us, We sell new Hydro Hoist and have some leads on used lifts also. Would you need a front mount or side mount lift?
Old    sprucie            09-27-2003, 11:09 AM Reply   
Front mount. I am starting to look now and plan on installing in March or April. If the right lift for the right price comes down the line I will purchase earlier and wait to install.
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       09-29-2003, 7:04 PM Reply   
We have a used 6000lbs front mount for sale. One year old.
Old    sprucie            09-29-2003, 10:58 PM Reply   
$?
Old     (atvr)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-30-2003, 9:18 AM Reply   
Not sure of the rules and regulations in TN but I have to be permitted by the Corps Of Engineers in KY and getting that permit has turned out to be quite a challenge. Started the process before Memorial Day. Does not look like the install will take place until next spring. Anyhow, about purchasing your front mount. If you have to be permitted, make sure you know what will be acceptable before buying. On my lake I have been told that the lift must not extend more than 2 ft. beyond the end of the finger.?.?
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-30-2003, 11:09 AM Reply   
Are you guys using aluminum cradles or straps?
I'm building in the next month or so and the contractor is spec'ing a 7,000 lb aluminum cradle and 8,000 lb hoist. With the hoist, I believe he is modifying a 6,000 lb. and doing double cables at four points with pullies on the cradle to get the extra load.
http://www.mercomarine.com/ Merco Marine sells a 6,000 lb hoist with the polyester straps for under $900.00.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-30-2003, 11:25 AM Reply   
Wakeguru; Does the hoist system you mention require a overhead structure, if so how much does that cost? Does the dock also have to support the weight, or would it be attached to the pilings, or?

Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-30-2003, 11:40 AM Reply   
Yes it does. The pilings support the weight.
Prices I've gotten have ranged from $6K to $10K just for the boathouse (no walkway, deck etc.) with the hoist equipment I want so that I can leave the boat weighted. Keep in mind that I'm in Florida and competition is fierce.
I've been looking around on the net and that Merco 6K lb strap lift was pretty reasonable, but the cradle is a better option for inboards. For the complete lift with cradle they run closer to $2K for the capacity I want. Here is a large distributor that seems to have all the goods..
http://www.boatliftdistributors.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_27
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-30-2003, 11:49 AM Reply   
Duane,
You can buy cradle lifts that don't require overhead structures. This product looks to only utilize 4 pilings total.

This would be relatively inexpensive compared to the boathouse.
Old     (big_un)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-30-2003, 9:14 PM Reply   
I purchased all the supplies and installed my SAN lift in my boathouse,total cost......about 1900.00 shagit007@aol.com
Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-01-2003, 5:05 AM Reply   
In Tennessee we can not use pilings for docks or lifts, it all has to float. The only time they let you use the bottom is if you are in shallow water and have to use a shallow water bottom mount lift.
Old     (wakeguru)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-01-2003, 6:43 AM Reply   
Who's the manufacturer and what's it rated at big un?

Old     (leetudor)      Join Date: Oct 2001       10-23-2003, 9:57 AM Reply   
Bruce, the used 6000lbs front mount lift with walkboards on one side is for sale, the owner paid $4500 and is willing to take offers.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       10-24-2003, 9:39 AM Reply   
David, I built my own boathouse and installed an overhead mounted lift 9 years ago. I bought all the components from Boat Lift Distributors. I had the cradle built locally by a welder, and he copied the dimensions of the center section of my trailer, so it was a custom fit, and allowed clearance for skegs, prop & rudder. It is made out of angle iron, and I used carpeted pressure-treated lumber for the bunks. It was not expensive. I painted it, but if I was doing it again, I would have it powder coated. Straps would not be good for a weighted boat. Also, w/straps, the cable gets all messed up when the weight is off of the lift.If you use pulleys at the top and the bottom, you double your lift capacity, but also it takes twice as long.