Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 11, 2007

Old     (chad_chinners)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-03-2006, 10:37 AM Reply   
Well the summer is finally winding down here in SC. Alot of fun but I also picked up a few injuries over the last year. I just got back from my doctor who says I have a torn labrum in my shoulder. The surgery required to fix it has a pretty long recovery period, so i'm debating whether i'd be better off getting the surgery or not. Anybody else have a torn labrum and what did you do?
Old     (candlebu)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-03-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
i had a torn labrum repaired, and it took 4.5 months til i could "really" start doing stuff. my advice on that surgery is, if the injury is preventing you from doing things that you enjoy, then you should have it fixed, because it is not gonna get better.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       11-03-2006, 12:37 PM Reply   
Never torn my labrum but I would still advise getting the surgery. First, it will only make the tendon/ muscle stronger when you do recover and also continuing to do things like wakeboarding could make it worse and cause damage to other muscles, tendons etc. I would go for the surgery.

(Message edited by uppledup17 on November 03, 2006)
Old     (chad_chinners)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-03-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. I'll probably go ahead with it. I've got to have surgery on my eardrum, so I won't be able to ride through the winter anyway. I just wanted to make sure no one regretted getting it. I've heard that shoulders can be tricky to heal after surgery.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       11-03-2006, 2:41 PM Reply   
I just had surgery a month ago from a torn labrum. Shoulder feels great after a month, but I can definitely tell it's still weak. I feel good enough to ride right now, but I'm going to hold out until I get an ok from the doc.

My advice, get the surgery if your not planning on riding in the off season. It's not going to get any better with rehab.

Does your shoulder dislocate a lot?

(Message edited by gherk on November 03, 2006)
Old     (dave27)      Join Date: May 2005       11-03-2006, 8:54 PM Reply   
I had the surgery 3 years ago. Took a full year to see any improvement. Now its great. But I still have small deltoid and traps. But if I hit the gym I could probably fix that. The whole time I was recovering I could ride. My shoulder just hurt to rotate above my head. I now can thorw balls again. Anyway now I am 100 percent its easy to so yes.
Old     (chad_chinners)      Join Date: Mar 2006       11-13-2006, 9:56 AM Reply   
Go under the knife tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up on what to expect guys. Anybody know who has the best selection of Wake vids. Blockbuster online or Netflix?