Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-29-2006, 8:56 PM Reply   
There have been a few pro events at this lake over the years, sucks to see them do this. I am worried about the wording; "State health codes prohibit swimming and water-skiing in sources of drinking water to protect against waterborne diseases, though fishing and boating can be allowed." If this is true, there is a potential for almost every lake in California to be closed to body contact. There is no measure as to how much this sucks, we need to start banding together now, put pressure on the CA government.

Reservoir illegally used by Orange County water-ski school

The Associated Press

VILLA PARK

State health officials have barred a water-ski school from using an Orange County reservoir where it had operated for nine years, violating health codes and possibly tainting the drinking water of nearby residents.

The Cutting Edge Water Ski School had the approval of the Serrano Water District, which manages recreation in Irvine Lake and controls drinking water for Villa Park, a city of 6,500 seven miles east of Anaheim.

The state Department of Health Services stopped the school from using the lake after learning of the violations last month, and was conducting a review.

State health codes prohibit swimming and water-skiing in sources of drinking water to protect against waterborne diseases, though fishing and boating can be allowed.

District general manager Dave Noyes said last month in a letter to the state that the district believed if the skiers wore wet suits, the activity was allowed.

State officials said wet suits make no difference under the law.

"They know the statute for not allowing full body contact with the water. They should have been aware it was illegal," said Heather Collins, a regional manager for the state health department. "I know if I lived in Villa Park, I would be upset about this."

Noyes said in the letter that state officials had known about the school since its opening in 1997.

The violation was discovered when triathlon organizers asked the state for a one-time waiver to swim in the lake, and the request was denied.

The state had no plans for sanctions against the water district.

___

Information from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com

Published: Sunday, May 28, 2006 04:54 PDT

Old     (depoint50ae)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-29-2006, 9:28 PM Reply   
Garbage. Boats are way more poisonous than people are.
Old    krasher31            05-30-2006, 4:15 AM Reply   
i'm still mad that i can't practice polygamy since the gov't cracked down on illegal immagrants and the hispanic advocates blew the horn on polygamy

No seriously, That sucks in Florida the water is more harmful to us.
Old     (wake4fun)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-30-2006, 12:36 PM Reply   
Irvine Lake was never meant to be open to the public so closing it to the school is really not a concern or a threat to the rest of us who are using public water. No one else was allowed out there to wakeboard or ski in their own boats so it really doesn't affect the average boater.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       05-30-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
(sarcasm)Do they filter the water in California??
Here in Kansas we have huge water filteration places that clean the water before it is sent to your faucet. It works really well in getting rid of the diseases that people put in the water.

That is one of the stupiedest thing that I have ever heard of. There is no way that a human body is going to contaminate the drinking water any more than a boat or a bird or a floating dead cow.

Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-30-2006, 12:59 PM Reply   
christy, the problem is if the state wants to close other lakes(u can list all of so-cal lakes on two hands)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-30-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
Yeah,

"State health codes prohibit swimming and water-skiing in sources of drinking water to protect against waterborne diseases, though fishing and boating can be allowed."

Lake Havasu, Canyon Lake, The Delta, The Colorado River are all "sources of drinking water"...
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       05-30-2006, 1:48 PM Reply   
I don't have this straight from the horse's mouth, so I can neither confirm nor deny its accuracy, but I've heard that all of California's drinking water goes through the same filtering/purification process no matter where it comes from. If that's the case, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How could we find out for sure?
Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       05-30-2006, 1:55 PM Reply   

quote:

Another So-Cal lake shut down to riding

As much as I think it sucks that they can't ride there anymore, wouldnt the title be more accurate if it read: "A So-Cal lake that has not been enforcing a no body-contact law will now be enforcing the law."?

-Steve
Old     (freshtracks)      Join Date: Feb 2006       05-30-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
"The violation was discovered when triathlon organizers asked the state for a one-time waiver to swim in the lake, and the request was denied."

Sounds like these jacka$$es ruined it for everyone..."if they can, how come we can't"?
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-30-2006, 2:12 PM Reply   
Well, if the above information is correct, the state can pretty much use this reasoning to shut down any body of water that they want. Irvine lake may not be much, as it was privately concessioned, but it could be the start of something really stupid. When do we take a stand? Perris? San Vicente? Delta?
Old    krasher31            06-01-2006, 12:58 PM Reply   
Somebody get Arnold on a board. Quik!!!
Old     (critter)      Join Date: Oct 2004       06-01-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
I don't think we have to worry. I meet with State Health every other month. In last meeting the guy from State Health commented that ALL SOCAL lake are exempt from being a no body contact because of some congree man passing a Bill for his personal pleasures.
Old     (jbjboc)      Join Date: Aug 2004       06-01-2006, 1:31 PM Reply   
Triathlon organizers went to the State to verify their already in place permit was okay. When they were told that they could NOT swim in the lake, they pointed to the ski school, which had been there for about 9 years. Local Water District was okay with it, but the State's Water Quality is the one to deny the permits. They state water quality would be affected. The lake remains open to boating/fishing. Cutting Edge Ski School was a family run business that had operated within all the rules and guidelines, or so they were told. Now there is a family without an income. I rode on Irvine Lake and have been very grateful to the Graeff family and thier dedication to water sports.

All of our So Cal water goes through the same purification process prior to reaching our taps...
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-01-2006, 3:42 PM Reply   
"They know the statute for not allowing full body contact with the water. They should have been aware it was illegal," said Heather Collins, a regional manager for the state health department. "I know if I lived in Villa Park, I would be upset about this."

That is Bull$h-t. As Tackleberry said all the above mentioned bodies of water are used for drinking except some are allowedto be body contact. There are two lakes here in SLO county that are dammed and used for drinking, Lopez & Nacimiento. I piss in them regularly, by their judgement the people of SLO and Arroyo Grande should be very upset. Now juts up the road we a have a perty little place call Santa Margarita Lake, no body contact. The difference? The only difference is that ll that water goes to SLO and the rich snooty bastages didn't want a little tinkle in their lemonade.

You want to know wat can be done? We must form a unified lobby. Thats how the fisherman got all these lakes to themselves, they had a very large, vocal lobby and they won. We could do the same thing but we are wakeboarders and habitually lazy. sucks to be us.