Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2003

Old    wldmn12            08-18-2003, 7:48 PM Reply   
I am thinking of purchasing a late 80's Ski Nautique 2001. I have previously ridden mostly behind a Supra Launch with about 2500lbs of factory ballast and weights in it. How will the wake compare and what are your opinions of the 2001 as a wakeboard boat. Any other suggestions for boats around 7-10k that would make a good wakeboarding boat and not be a maintainence nightmare?
Old     (nautiboarder)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-18-2003, 8:13 PM Reply   
I just sold mine this summer, it was a 1989 2001. Its a great wake, you can't go wrong. Its about as good as my new 2000 pro air, there isn't much difference. You missed a great deal, I sold mine for $9,500.00 it was in great shape. The interior is nicer than what my 2000 is. I just took excellent care of it. Good luck.
Old    wakeboarder4lif            08-18-2003, 8:13 PM Reply   
dude that is the best wakeboard boat to buy for the money. Thats the same kind of boat that I learned how to ride behind and would ride behind one any day.
Old    morribd            08-19-2003, 12:07 AM Reply   
2001 Ski Nautique is an excellent boat! I own one and with only one fat sac the wake is very nice, very very nice. Best bang for the buck, well built and the boat retains it's value.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-19-2003, 12:19 AM Reply   
You can't go wrong with a 2001. Look at the '88-'89 models. The interior is nicer (better setup).
We are now with our third season with this Baby and it has not given us many problems. The wake is excelent, pretty rampy and with some weight huge. The maintainence is easy, you can do everything by yourself. Go for an electronic ignition (breakerless, no points) and you'll no problems with the engine.
Look at a tower for the 2001, the interior is small and you don't wanna have any boards in the boat.
Old    warlock00            08-19-2003, 6:57 AM Reply   
As said above the 2001 is a great wakeboarding boat. We have an 85(check profile pic) and the wake is great. We have a fat seat in the back, and about 300lbs of sand up by the driver and under the nose. We have had the wake up to at least knee high, sometimes in deeper water thigh high. Only problem with them is not much room for a bunch of people. You get 5-6 people on board and there is no room for moving around. But it is a good boat for the $$$ for sure.
Old    isaac_d_funk            08-19-2003, 8:05 AM Reply   
Jason,you get a 40k wake from a 10k boat. However, you do need to put around 1000lbs to start to get a good wake. I run one 550 launch pad on each side of the engine and one 550 in the rear. I have almost 300 of sand up front.

As far as the wake goes it is top notch. I have been behind alot of boats and I have only found a few boats that I like better than the 2001 hull as far as wake's go. You will notice a big difference in wakes between the supra launch and the older nauti. The supra is rampy and is not to firm. A 2001 weighted right is a vert wake the is about knee high and is super solid.

The only thing that I dont really care for on the 2001 is the room inside the boat. You def need to get some board racks to keep your boards off the floor.If you need anymore info just let me know.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-19-2003, 10:16 AM Reply   
Tommy's right on about electronic ignition and Funkster's right on about the wake....solid boat, solid wake. Very steep, very firm.
Old     (wakeboysmom)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-20-2003, 5:25 PM Reply   
We've had our 1987 SN 2001 for 16 years now. Got 1500 hours on her. Never really had any problems that weren't "human" error. We have 1500 lbs of ballast. I recently read something real interesting on the Gulf Coast Wakeboarding Assoc web site, I am going to try to include a quote from a Nautique dealer in Houston, he pretty much spell's out what you get and can expect in the 1989. (this is from the GCWA web site...He's referring to a 1989 SN 2001
This is John McMath from Houston Watersports Complex. You bought a great boat and here is why. As most of you know the 2001 series ran from 1982-1989. For the money, there isn't a better wakeboard boat out there. In fact, if you study the 2001's bottom closely there are many traits to it that you will also see on the Super Air. The bottom shape is identical with the tapered rear that is most critical for the boat to "drop in" at wakeboard speeds. The 1989 and final version of the 2001 is the best ever for these reasons. 1989 was the first year they used the reduction gear (powerplus) transmission for more out of the hole power. This was the first year of the silent muffler as well. 1989 was also the first year that Correct Craft used AME epoxy resin instead of polyester resin that all other boat companies are still using. AME 4000 at half the weight of polyester and is more than twice as strong. This is huge in being able to handle multi-directional stress. In the mid 80's Correct Craft had an issue with the floor delaminating from the sidewall right by the front motor mount on both sides. The reason for this is polyester resin does not expand and contract very well. When the engine heats up and cools down day after day the resin become brittle and weak and will seperate from the sidewall. This isn't a rampant problem but 84-86 were the worst years for this. Of course, these problems didn't show up until the late 1990's. It wasn't like in 1991 you had a floor delamination. If you ever get a boat like that the fix is pretty simple and not much money. The fact that the 1989 uses AME epoxy resin guarentees you won't have this problem with your boat. Any other questions please let me know. We love old boats - of course to us 1989 is not that old. We just had a 1965 Ski Nautique in for an oil change last week.
Kewl, I managed to get this in here. But it looks like it's using too much "area". Sorry, don't know how to get rid of all the "wasted" space below.
Denise