Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-28-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
So I remember that in Wisconsin they used to host the Winter Waterfest? (was that what it was called?) I remember participating in it back in '03, Byerly was there, it was cold, but still fun.

I was wondering if there is anything like this going on in Minnesota. Whether it be wakeboarding, waterskiing, barefooting or any other water activity that involves people choppin' ice and getting in a pull.

If anyone knows of any events like this please let me know. Would be fun to do again!
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-28-2007, 9:17 AM Reply   
There are a couple of clubs that do this, my buddy Tim has done it, if he's online he can tell you who does it. I know they ride somewhere on the river but I'm not sure if its in Minneapolis or up by Champlin.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-28-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
R.I.P. Winter WaterLand......
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-28-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
I cant even imagine hold cold some of the lakes are right now in MN......The only winter activity that I can think of but has nothing to do with wakeboarding etc. is the Polar Plunge here in Duluth in February I think, people just jump into Lake Superior......
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-28-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
It would be cool if someone was doing it as an annual event. I am actually trying to find something like that to cover for a video assignment I have to do on winter festivals in Minnesota. Would be cool to get some wakeboarding into it. haha!
Old     (csswake3)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-28-2007, 12:07 PM Reply   
You could Definitely do it on the Polar Plunge, it is to benefit the Special Olympics every year, but unfortunately no wakeboarding involved. Here is a link

http://specialolympicsminnesota.org/index.php?customernumber=6995735393&pr=PBPDuluth
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-28-2007, 12:20 PM Reply   
The closest I come to wakeboarding in the winter is the Spring Fling water skipping at Afton Alps, now thats good fun.

Last year the local LF rep wakeboarded at least once every month of the year, I pussed out.
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-28-2007, 1:56 PM Reply   
I saw a guy fishing on the ice in St. Paul on my way home from work today.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       11-28-2007, 2:00 PM Reply   
Nick, which lake? i didnt think the ice was think enough yet...maybe im wrong but 'cmon we've only been below 32 degrees like 4 days in a row...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       11-28-2007, 2:49 PM Reply   
We had some icefishing fools in Menomonie WI today, only like 30 min from the boarder
Old     (nick_in_ssp)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-28-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
It was that big pond south of 3M on 94.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-29-2007, 5:39 AM Reply   
The best way to wakeboard from MN in the winter is to head to the airport and get the hell out of here. Which is exactly what I will be doing very soon. No more winter for me.

Taylor,

The River Rats go out riding in January, if you are down I will make sure they contact you when they go. I know they do it every year. Jeff Thayer (the old O'brien rep) and Chris Banks (LF Rep) ride out there all winter.

Nic in the TC,

Man I wanna winch that pond so bad! That hug wall ride on the side closest to the building is awesome.
Old     (whirli_7)      Join Date: Aug 2003       11-29-2007, 5:55 AM Reply   
My neighboor is part of that crew that rides every month out of the year. (50 something straight months I think) They ride the river. Let us know if someone wants to start a festival. I think it would be fun.

Maybe we could do a little water skipping on the sled too!
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-29-2007, 8:44 AM Reply   
hey Corey...Is T. Mercil the guy you are talking about. I stayed at his place for the protour and he said that he had rode all winter long a few years back...crazy!
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-29-2007, 9:11 AM Reply   
Thanks guys! I'll have to check those out.

Which pond is this? I might have to go check it out. Plus we may have to make it happen. (when it unthaws of course.)

Andy, you going to the Push Process Premier tomorrow night? Colin can't go, you down?
Old     (wakesurf12)      Join Date: Jun 2003       11-29-2007, 9:24 AM Reply   
Ah, just looked at the flyer again. Its the 7th. Not tomorrow night.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       11-29-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
Andy, i couldnt agree more, lets get the heck outta here! Anywho, if you guys every do some winching in the spring or summer...or winter perhaps, hit me up, id love to give it a shot and most of all help out with everything there is to setup n jazz!
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       11-29-2007, 2:53 PM Reply   
Hey Justin, yeah thats guy I am talking about, you should hit him up again the PWT is headed back in June!

All you guys are gonna have to wear helmets after last years shenanigans though!!!
Old     (lives2wake)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-29-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
Yah, that was pretty funny...Janelle's bf and I just watched and a few from your crew dove in to help her out. She had a bit of a black eye. I wrote an article on www.wakeboardmanitoba.ca about the trip...you can read it in The Vault on the RoswellWakeAir website.

I plan on coming...to much fun and Tim's boat is supposed to be sick!