Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 17, 2008

Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-31-2008, 9:08 AM Reply   
Sup all, just wanted to send out a quick reminder. I went out on Sat morning in the delta for my 1st session this season. Of course in all the excitement i forgot to stretch before i rode.

What happened was that I put on the dry suit, jumped in and got up. popped off the heelside wake and edged out. loaded up and edged easy and just bumped a simple wake 2 wake, didnt case the wake, didnt land in the flats, didnt go huge, just rolled in on the other wake nice and smooth. went to edge back in toeside and something in my lower back was shooting a pain up it.

So i cut and threw the rope, they come back to pick me up, meanwhile i cant lean forward at all to release the bindings, so they have to take them off for me... basically the rest of the day I couldnt hardly move.

went into minor injury sun. morning and was told that i had a severe muscle strain in my back. and was due to no stetching and the force placed on our back while riding. So after some 1000mg motrins, a day of rest and some vicodin. Im actually able to stand on my own.

the doc says that it should be better in 4-5 days, and that I can safely ride again in 3 weeks, but to always stretch EVERY muscle group the night b4 a ride and that morning. He said it can also help to be a better rider as well as it helps you increase flexibilty.

Just a reminder for the guys like me that dont think sometimes, and underestimate thier age sometimes. Take care all and be safe.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-31-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
Good advice. and easy to forget, especially when your getting up at 6 for the early morning sessions
Old     (tysonbunch)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-31-2008, 9:16 AM Reply   
Good Point, especially for us older riders. I recently injured my back playing soccer by not stretching and can feel your pain as I read you post. Hope all heals well and that you get back out on the water.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       03-31-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
"Just a reminder for the guys like me that dont think sometimes, and underestimate thier age sometimes. Take care all and be safe."

Yes stretching always helps, but your profile says you're 28? Let's see how you feel in 10 more years.
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-31-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
I know steve, my budy i ride w/ just turned 40 and he rides circles around me, Im just realizing im not 19 anymore.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-31-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
....or try another 5 on top of the extra 10.

I am on an intensive stretching program....in addition to weight training cardio and core exercise regimen.

My stretching also really focuses on my core...I do about 30 min of exercise and stretching for my core every 2 days. It has made a huge difference to how my back and core area feels.

But is def never too soon to start taking care of yourself. The only difference is that the older you get the less you will get away with it.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-31-2008, 9:56 AM Reply   
Oh, 19...the "good ol' years"

:-)
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       03-31-2008, 11:32 AM Reply   
A month ago I went riding , had to drive two hrs to meet up. Did not stretch before riding & pulled a ab muscle in the first 5 min on the water. I could not climb on the swim platform. Drove the rest of the day & every roller that I drove over hurt, That taught me not to forget as it put me out for a month to let it heal. I just went back out this weekend....Dave.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-31-2008, 1:08 PM Reply   
What I do to warm up is do the 2 minute drill from "The Book". It helps me loosen up before getting any air and me being somewhat of a newbie it has really helped my board control. I need to strart trying the 4 minute one
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-31-2008, 4:51 PM Reply   
Dave thats pretty much what happened to me, just the other side, The drill in "the Book" is it a strecthcing routine, or just easy moves once ur up ?
and Mike Z can you pm me a "cliffs notes" on the type of workouts you do, they seem to be the routines i need.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-31-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
The drill is an edging drill, but I'm usually to lazy to actually stretch so I use it more as a warm up
Old     (da_kamp)      Join Date: Jan 2008       03-31-2008, 5:53 PM Reply   
glad i stretch before, and constantly am afterwards...........even though i'm 16.............