Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-08-2008, 7:52 PM Reply   
I have a couple open channels on an amp...
So I am thinking about adding a second sub woofer in the passenger side storage compartment.

is this a good idea? or will this just create alot of rattles in the boat?

details:
current sub - 12 RF
current sub amp p3001

2 open channels on amp
amp - P8004
bridged @ 400 rms

any advice would be greately appreciated.
thanks.
Old     (tlatoani)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-09-2008, 7:47 AM Reply   
I've read that it really mutes the bass. I have no experience with it personally though.
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-09-2008, 10:34 AM Reply   
That's where mine have been installed in the past and it works great. In both my nautiques I did have to pad the glove box door to stop a little rattle. If the area is sealed pretty tight consider adding a port for air to escaped somewhere
Old     (kscales)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-09-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
I have a new set up for this year, boat is in the shop right now but should have it for the weekend.

I have 2 of the Wet Sound XS12's going in, one in the foot well in a box and the other in the storage locker, which is the subject of this thread.

I will let you know after the weekend if I like my set up.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       04-09-2008, 11:30 AM Reply   
I have two subs ( 10w6 ported) firing towards the stern into the rear lockers from under the rear bench seat in an 07 22 SSV. I'm happy with it.
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-09-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
you mean like thisUpload
Upload
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-09-2008, 1:34 PM Reply   
I heard a few setups like this. I heard one in a VLX with good airspace and it seemed to make the bass deeper.
Old     (chilidog)      Join Date: Dec 2007       04-09-2008, 7:46 PM Reply   
I originally had my sub in the v215 in the pass front storage locker and with the seat back closed I could not tell there was a sub at all in the system, you could feel the bass about 20 feet away but other than that it completely muffled it, I think mainly because the speaker could not move enough due to the limited air openings in that compartment. I moved it to the other side under the drivers dash and it sounds awesome now like it should, also my sub is in a closed box out of a car with the speaker itself being exposed ( the box builder said if it was in a trunk you wouldn't hear it either, it was designed for an ext. cab pickup

my own opinion but I like the storage space and i couldn't put anything up under my feet anyways so under the drivers dash is the best spot for the sub, although when it slams it does vibrate the crap out of my guage cluster
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-09-2008, 7:54 PM Reply   
Scott that has got to pound...DD subs are pretty badazz.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-09-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
I have 2- MTX 5500 12's in sealed boxes in the rear V-Drive lockers firing down and have no problem hearing or feeling them.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-09-2008, 8:34 PM Reply   
Down firing is the key when you put them in the lockers or passenger side compartment.
Old     (mikea)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-11-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
I have done a "quick" search on down firing subs.
Can someone tell me more about down firing, or point to a website where I can learn more.

Thanks!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-11-2008, 4:16 PM Reply   
There are a lot of pre fab enclosures that are vehicle specific with down firing but I was unable to find just a standard box that was down firing. I had to modify the box I purchased to make it a down firing enclosure. When you set them up this way it resonates through the hull and the dynamics of the bass is better and richer than it is normally in an enclosed area. It goes very well combined with a sub in the foot compartment but as a stand alone I personally wouldn't do it unless it was the only option.

I couldn't find any sites that detailed this application but I'm familiar with it on newer vehicles as well as a lot of the subs people use in their home theater's.
Old     (sydwayz)      Join Date: Mar 2003       04-11-2008, 8:01 PM Reply   
Here are mine. I have 1-12 in each V-Drive hatch. Firing down. I have about 5-6" of room between the sub box and floor. Plus my storage is open all the way to the front. Boxes I made are 1 cu.ft. Then I used do-it-yourself bedliner.

Upload
Upload
Old     (cprfab)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-11-2008, 8:06 PM Reply   
WOW Scott thats insane what do you power those bad boys with
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-12-2008, 4:01 PM Reply   
Here you goUpload
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-12-2008, 4:52 PM Reply   
Zapco of course
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-12-2008, 8:37 PM Reply   
Hey patrick how does that ported box sound in there? Have you tried a sealed box in there, if so how different do they sound? I've got a sealed box in there and thinking about swapping to a ported box..
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-13-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
Nu Bu, I haven't tried the sub in a sealed box. I just got my boat back last Thurs. We tried it facing in all directions and ended up with it facing outwards. I am going to put a after market grill on it to protect it better. The sub is amazing and for a single sub setup I am very impressed. The bass is very deep, but clean. I am running around 600-700 RMS to the sub and it hits hard. It has far exceeded my expectations. I plan to post up a new thread with my entire setup on Monday. Need to get more pics today!!
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-13-2008, 7:06 PM Reply   
Mike,

Here is what I did with my second sub.

Upload
Upload
Upload

More pics at http://vgallery.slavick.com/Default.aspx?p=08%20VLX/&file=IMG_3930.JPG&page=6

(Message edited by larrys on April 13, 2008)
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-15-2008, 8:18 AM Reply   
I just put a 12 in a small sealed box behind the passangers seat and it sounds great. My boat is all open under the seats and storage lockers so the sound carries really good, cant even notice a differance if the door is open or cloesed.
Old     (zacharoo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       04-15-2008, 10:45 AM Reply   
I have a downward firing 12w6 in stand by mode that will go into the passenger compartment when the JL 500/1 is bought. Its to replace my Rockford Fosgate 12" P2 and JL A1400. The JL is not enough power, amp clips at medium volume levels.
Box was LineX and looks great.

Aqua

Upload

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-15-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Aqua,

Nice box! What would be the advantage of changing mine to fire down instead of up?

Also, did you spray the LineX or have ot done?

Larry

(Message edited by larrys on April 15, 2008)