Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-07-2005, 10:42 AM Reply   
I read the trick list on WW and read these posts but do not understand what some of the tricks mean? There are a ton of Mobes but what is a Mobius? ANd isn't Half Cab the same is Switchstance.And can someone also help me out with revert and fakie. Again newbie so be gentle.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       10-07-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
A mobe is any filp with a fs 360. A cab is when you start switch and land regular.

(Message edited by bigpapaf1f on October 07, 2005)
Old     (cubanismo)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-07-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
Mobius/Mobe = invert + at least 360 degree spin

Half Cab = hitting a trick switch but landing regular

Switchstance = riding the board w/the opposite foot forward (For example, if you ride normal, then your left foot is forward. A normal rider riding switch would mean that his/her right foot would be forward.)

Revert = landing switch

Fakie, for the purpose of wakeboarding, is synonymous w/switch; however, it's really a skating term that means riding normal but moving in the opposite direction. See the problem w/that?

Peace be the journey!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-07-2005, 11:15 AM Reply   
they are all right except a Half Cab is a switch frontside 180..............! You can take that to the bank (skateing backround here)!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-07-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
yea its funny when people yell at you to do nollie 'on the water' and for a minute you actually think to try it! If you don't get it... Try It. You wont be dissapointed!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-07-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
adam - the term mobius comes from the physics (or geometry) term "mobius strip," which describes an object with only one side and one edge.

http://scidiv.bcc.ctc.edu/Math/Mobius.html

andre - i've more heard fakie used synonymously with revert (as in roll2revert, front flip to fakie). i rarely hear someone describe riding switch as riding fakie.

"riding normal but moving in the opposite direction," is that a hold-over from directional boards, or is that something to do with riding in a pipe? otherwise it seems like a semantic difference.

(Message edited by deepstructure on October 07, 2005)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-07-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
fakie means poping with your regular foot but while traveling backwards.... as in on a skateboard.

Alot of these terms are cross overs from skateboarding but are technically impossible on the water done the same way as on land/skateboard.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-07-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
so for anyone without a skating backround these terms are very vague and really don't make much sense. With a good understanding of what these terms mean on other boardsports its pretty easy to figure out what is really being conveyed and in describing a trick sometimes these terms are thrown out to simplify the description of what is going on (even if the term technically does not apply). Confusing for sure but it's just one of those things!
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-07-2005, 2:54 PM Reply   
Paul, as per Charlie Patterson in Higher Education, half cab is exactly what Andrea said. Maybe it's evolved a little since it was used in skateboarding? I've always understood it as hitting any trick switch and landing regular.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-07-2005, 5:01 PM Reply   
a half cab is technically a fakie 180. cabs are 3's 7's and 10's and you can do half cab 5's and 9's. the reason why you can say its switch to regular is because there are no quarter pipes in wakeboarding. when skating you can do a half-cab on a ramp and land fakie. mobius usually refers to a hs backroll with a 360, but in genreal a mobe is any flip/roll with a 360 spin(i think it needs to have a handle pass but im not sure)
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-07-2005, 6:05 PM Reply   
i hear you Mike but regardless of charlie patterson said..... a half cab is a fakie frontside 180, period! If Mr. Patterson uses the definition you've described then yes its 'evolved' but I wouldn't accept it. I dont feel you can take a term used for ages in another sport and redefine it for another board sport. The definiton is just too far off for adaption.

Not to sound negative... I completely respect your 'backed up' argument!
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-07-2005, 7:01 PM Reply   
i'm of the opposite camp to paul - but that's because i'm from the pure wakeboarder camp. i skated a bit back in the 80s, and have surfed for years and snowboarded some, but to me wakeboarding should be it's own thing.

if that means redefining terms so be it, especially as proho said, there are physical differences between the sports that render certain terms less precise.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-07-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
yea I guess I should think of the term specifically in the sense of what sport it is refering too... I guess I kinda feel that wakeboarding stole a term and ruined its definition. Funny considering i'm way more stoked on Wakeboarding now! Gotta get the sport that got me here's back though!
Old    wsrmatt            10-07-2005, 10:24 PM Reply   
i think the whole switch and fakie terms are gay in wakeboarding. you can ride a wakeskate fakie but not a wakeboard. ive always thought that was retarded
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-07-2005, 11:06 PM Reply   
Dudes, Paul has is right. Half Cab is a switch frontside 180. Nothing more, anything above that is a cab. Eg: Half Cab, Cab, Cab 5, Cab 7, Cab 9....So on.
A Cab is a switch frontside 3, half cab switch frontside 180.

Mobius = Heelside Backroll with a frontside 3.

Edit for spelling

(Message edited by kristian on October 07, 2005)
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-08-2005, 5:28 AM Reply   
So then Park's does a Double Half Cab whatever you call it. What exactly is he doing?
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-08-2005, 5:47 AM Reply   
Adam - A double back roll from switch with a 180 landing regular (goofy for Parks).

Paul, I hear ya. Makes sense actually. I skated a bit myself, but was obviously never into it to the degree that you were. Thanks for letting those of us without much of a skating background know the ways of the half cab!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-08-2005, 9:05 AM Reply   
Yea what Mike said... Double Half Cab roll is a bascailly a switch FS 180 combined with a double backroll (1switch roll to revert followed by a regular backroll).
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-08-2005, 10:25 AM Reply   
kristian youre wrong.

matt think about it. you HAVE to ride fakie on a wakeboard, but you cant fakie ollie.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       10-08-2005, 10:32 AM Reply   
it is amusing that people get so caught up on these descriptions.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-08-2005, 10:41 AM Reply   
Alright.... I think Kristian ment fakie not switch..

ALRIGHT here it is..... HALF CAB means = Fakie frontside 180!

Fakie = Regular foot moving backwards.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-08-2005, 10:54 AM Reply   
Well yeah, you just can't technically be fakie on a wakeboard, youre strapped in, so i say switch, like with snowboarding. But with skateboarding, yes its fakie.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-08-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
No doubt Tim. Being a newbie I just wanted some clarification now I am more confused then when I started. So Paul a Fakie FS 180 is a Half Cab but is also a switch FS 180. It is all synonomous right???? I sounds to me that fakie is used to describe a landing more than anything. Adam no function beer without???????
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-08-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
Alright... yes my definition is Technically correct, BUT... as Kristian pointed out, you can not do a fakie jump/ollie on a wakeboard so it would be called switch frontside 180! <--There in lies the whole mixup with this 'half cab' crap. And is also why a diehard skateboarder would feel that wakeboarding ruined the term. Parks isn't really doing a double half cab roll. Parks is doing a switch roll to revert with an added backroll.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-08-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
so without over analyzing the whole thing and keeping with a short name Double Half Cab Roll it was dubed!
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-08-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
.... again... so technically had parks pop'ed off the front half of the board aposed to the back half then double halfcab roll would technically be correct.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-08-2005, 11:11 AM Reply   
Thanks Paul. yeah the "half cab" stuff is what was confusing. I pop off the front half of my board all the time. Followed by a faceplant to backroll. Thanks Again. Peace.
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-08-2005, 1:58 PM Reply   
kristian i was reffering to your defintion of cabs. they are fakie 3s so you cannot do cab 5s and 9s. the thing about wakeboarding is when you hit the wake you arent ollieing so you cant differentiate between fakie and switch. and yes adam fakie should be use to describe landings.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-09-2005, 7:38 AM Reply   
half-cab comes from the the trick the cabalerro...invented of course by the skater steve cabalerro....a cabalerro is a fakie FS 180 to pivot all in one motion....a half-cab is the just the fakie FS 180...so calling 3, 7, 10s is not exactly correct....but the term cab is more known with switch 5s and 9s....
Old     (proho)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-09-2005, 9:10 AM Reply   
a cab is a fakie 3. a fakie 180 witha pivot is a half cab pivot.