Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old     (hkysk8r187)      Join Date: May 2004       05-19-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
I can get up on a wakeboard just fine and can do some tricks. My friend on the other hand is having a hard time getting up and I'm a horrible teacher. I try to tell him how to do it with no luck. Does anyone have any good methods for getting someone new up? I've tried flooring it and tried to go slow. Thanks guys.
Old     (zleartsu)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-19-2004, 2:54 PM Reply   
Have them sit on a dock or front of a pontoon and then take off. thats how I got my girlfriend up!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2004, 3:03 PM Reply   
Zach's method is the best. When I've tried everything else, a seated dock start will usually do it.
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-19-2004, 3:12 PM Reply   
Have him watch that Higher Learning video. It helped me visualize the board in water and get my body position correct. It also has helped me spot problems others have while learning.

Have him look at the sky if he's coming over the board. This will help him keep the board in front of him, not burry it, and helps him let the boat do the work instead of him trying to hard. Good luck.
Old     (afwakepilot13)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-19-2004, 3:39 PM Reply   
A thing that I see that happens alot is that they hold the board vertical and they end up fighting the boat until it rips the handle off. Just tell them to put the board under them a bit like they said earlier, and point their toes a bit and let the board plane up on top of the water. Another thing that I find works good is pulling people up a bit slower than you normally would. This gives them a little more time to get the hang of it.
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-19-2004, 3:52 PM Reply   
Agreed with the Higher Learning instructions. The most important piece: have them pull their heels as close to their butt as possible. This puts them in the right position to get up on top of the water (rather than push water til the rope rips out, which is what most do the first few tries).

Also, tell them to let the boat do the work, and just wait until the board is on a plane before they try to stand up on it.

Oh, and put them on the biggest, most sluggish board you can find. I use an old Neptune GTO.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-20-2004, 6:45 PM Reply   
We do a little teaching on the dock. I am 6 foot 4 and it took me forever to get up. We have a problem with people trying to muscle themselves up. So we have them lay on the dock, give them a line and tell them to try and pull themselves up off of their back. Then we repeat and pull them up with the line, telling them to keep their knees bent and arms bent. Usually they see that it is easier to be pulled up.
Old    ag4ever            05-20-2004, 8:04 PM Reply   
I have been sking since I was about 3. I had te hardest time getting up on a board the first time. Everything I tried failed untill I went to my dealer and got some training on the water. I discovered that i was pulling myself up even though I wa strying not to.

Just stay in an extream squat position, and have your arms outside of your legs, not between them. That is what it took for me to pop up. When I got up the first time, ther rest was simple, and I could get up all day.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-20-2004, 8:07 PM Reply   
I use a barefoot boom. This has worked for a 5 year old and my kid's grandmother. I get them up on the boom 3-4 times, put a handle section on the boom for 3-4 times, and then the long line. It takes about 1/2 hour and is not tiring as trying over and over with a deepwater start.
Old    turtle            05-20-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
Have someone get in the water with them. Hold the strap on the back of the bindings (With your chest to there back) Hold them in the squated position as the boats starts to go, pull down on the straps and let go. Works everytime from a 60 lbs kid to 250 lbs adult.
Old    essy            05-21-2004, 3:15 AM Reply   
i'd feel sorry for the guy all alone in the water after helping the rider out. my instructor has always asked his students to imagine themselves to kick their heels to a**es and get to the squat position before standing up. my personal experience is not to stand up too soon. tho ugly, in theory a rider can stay in a squatting position with the board sideways for the whole time.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       05-21-2004, 4:01 AM Reply   
Tell him there's a croc behind him and he'll get up.
Old     (junkee)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-21-2004, 6:27 AM Reply   
the croc idea is good. however in arizona,...well we have none. i may substitue croc, with perhaps a "rabid crawdad"

everyone has the same idea here. thats nice. i always tell them to try and kick their own ass, figurativly of course, in the water. that sucks t he heels to butt. and then when they get up, i tell em rope at the hips and chest up. I noticed alot of my buddies that were rook's had a tendancy to submarine the nose, so the chest up thing helps good, keeps them leaned back enough not to slap their head on the water. :-)
Old    lickmychode            05-21-2004, 8:12 AM Reply   
knees bent butt to board arms straight "let the boat do the work" and point your toes "the board should be flat on the water".