Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Old    devastate            05-19-2004, 9:05 AM Reply   
if you own this board pls post your email, i'm thinking of buying one, i have demo'd it already but have some questions.

thanks for the help

John
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-19-2004, 9:51 AM Reply   
I too am looking at the 142
Looking for insite on this board.I like the bindings as well.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       05-19-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
I have the 142 and love it. It does take some getting used to, but I've rode byerly boards the last 3 yrs or so. I don't like the bindings though. I used to ride the bindings until they changed to that ratchet thing on the back which didn't work well for me. Let me know if u have anymore questions
Old     (freakytikki)      Join Date: Apr 2004       05-19-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
What didnt you like about the bindings..The last thing i need is to have issues getting into the binds after a fall.I broke my ankle 3 seasons ago real bad..Im just getting back into it.What do you like(ride) about the board..how does it feel(turns,grip,cut,track) just an overveiw. I like to here from peeps not just the mags or pros.Oh yeah sorry buut how much do you weight..im 200 or so 6ft. and what speed and rope length works for you. Sorry for the 3rd degree....but that is alot of cash...im broke after buying a new boat.
Old    devastate            05-19-2004, 10:34 AM Reply   
hi ryan, thanks for the reply - i actualy loved the bindings but thats just me. about what you said "it takes some getting used to," when i demo's the board and tried to do a simple surface 180 (finless) i had to YANK my back foot all the way round as hard as i could physically pull it because of the molded in fins... does this get easyer? i didnt even bother trying to butterslide it because i knew it would have been an instant face-plant... so yeah..?

John
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-19-2004, 10:43 AM Reply   
I have a 142 which I just bought this year. I rode them finless at OWC this winter and really loved the loose feel while free riding. It carves really nice, but you have to ride the rail well. I have noticed that if I cut without paying attention to form the back end wants to slide out. I ride with the center fins in, behind a Nautique. We generally ride about 22-24mph and at about 60-70 depending on the rope. For comparison sake, I am 5-10 and about 190#.

I use LF Transits on my board, because I didn't particularly care for the Hyperlite bindings when it came time to take them off. It was a real struggle to get in and out of the Temets and Parks without lube. Transits are easy in and easy out, and hold tight during the ride.

ERic
Old    devastate            05-19-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
i cant imagine ever sliding out with it? when i rode it, it was 100% LOCKED DOWN - i would be happy if it was a bit more slippery. thats mainly what i was asking, if it gets easyer to controll after a while?

John
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-19-2004, 12:13 PM Reply   
Hey John,

I have never ridden the board, but Justin Butinsky rides one and he swears by it. Again without riding it: it looks like it would grip the water pretty well, which is great if you have perfect technique. If you don't land every trick on edge, it looks like it could wreck you (like the Parks board) Feel free to ask Justin. I'll send you his email address. He also rides it finless. I know he was breaking a lot of Premiers, which I don't think is happening with the Byerly.
Old     (aaronlee13)      Join Date: Jul 2001       05-19-2004, 1:15 PM Reply   
i rode that board and it sticks! Also i recommend riding it finless. Also what jarrod said, it grips very well so if you ride little sloppy it will make it hard on you
Old     (maestro)      Join Date: Jun 2001       05-19-2004, 4:15 PM Reply   
I rode the board a couple weeks ago in Florida. Fell in love on the second run. Pops huge, tracks so well, nice and mellow coming into the wake. Needless to say I ordered one within two days of being home.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-19-2004, 4:53 PM Reply   
This topic gets regurgitated every few months or so. If you go back and search the archives, you'll find numerous threads with hundreds of comments. The positive comments tend to outweigh the negatives by a good margin, and almost everybody prefers this board finless (Scott himself has said that it was designed to be ridden finless). I liked it a lot, and I've ridden all the Byerlys. It tracks well but gets sketchy on the cut in rough water. Pops great, the release off the wake is very slightly delayed (some like, some don't) locks in super well and will save you on sketch landings, the cut into the wake is pretty slow (and REALLY slow with the fins on). A few people claimed to be breaking them when they first came out, but this has not continued to be a big topic of discussion. I saw one where the P-tex bottom appeared to be having a problem with peeling off. You'll find out plenty more if you go back and find some of those old threads in the archives.