Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-02-2004, 11:55 AM Reply   
I took a peak at the bottom of our boat today and found some disturbing scratches. How can I tell if the scratches are big enough to be concerned about? How do you tell if the scratches go all the way through the gel coat? How do you tell if the fiberglass is exposed? What if the fiberglass is exposed, will this cause further damage if not repaired immediately? One scratch is black and about 10 inches long, what does that mean?

Thanks!
Laurie
Old    mark_mascioli            08-02-2004, 1:02 PM Reply   
dont be alarmed...........i have a 1982 fg bow rider and you can see the black(exposed fg) in some spot.

the fg is extremly thick and odd of it seperating or being puchered is nil.

just my 0.02

cheers
mark
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-02-2004, 4:03 PM Reply   
I forgot to mention, I have a Sanger which are made of wood with a fiberglass overlay. Does that change things?
Old     (tripleup)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-02-2004, 8:37 PM Reply   
that means quit beaching your boat!
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       08-02-2004, 8:48 PM Reply   
I wouldn't be worried unless I could feel fiberglass in the scratches when i rubbed my finger across it. Never dealt with this problem so not sure but I would guess you're fine.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-02-2004, 10:06 PM Reply   
If I had to guess the scratches are from the trailer and I have not seen very many trailers that do not scratch the boat up some. Your Sanger is not a wood boat but a fiberglass boat with wooden stringers, which although heavely debated is still a good building medium. The sides of the boat are fiberglass.

I have beached every boat I have ever owned. Nothing wrong with beaching as long as it is done in the right areas. Look at how many boats beach at Ski Beach.
Old    leggester            08-03-2004, 6:06 AM Reply   
You'll generally see glass. Scratches are the norm too.

You can fill almost any scratch with gel repair kits available at any marine store, and WalMart.
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-03-2004, 8:38 AM Reply   
Matt, I don't understand what you mean by seeing glass. What does that look like?
Thanks for the info, I'll be taking a trip to WalMart today for that kit!
Old    leggester            08-03-2004, 9:00 AM Reply   
Laurie, you'll be able to see a different material than the gel coat if it's through to the fiber glass. Usually, it'll have to be more than about 1/4" deep.

Say your top gel is blue, then the under gel is white. If it's through to the glass, you'll see another layer ( darkish green due to the resin used ).

Make sense?
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-03-2004, 9:15 AM Reply   
Yes, that makes sense. Thanks! I'll take another look tonight. I've got black marks but now I'm thinking that may actually be rub marks from the trailer on top of a scratch. Or, it could be the fiberglass. It does not feel like its even close to 1/4" deep. If it is down to the fiberglass, will the repair kit be sufficient?
Old    leggester            08-03-2004, 9:31 AM Reply   
Scuff marks are easy to tell. Try scratching them off with a dull knife ( not too hard )

Yes, you generally just want to recover the glass.
Old     (wakejumper8)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-03-2004, 10:21 AM Reply   
Perfect, thanks so much Matt!