Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 08, 2008

Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-21-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
Question:
I have 4 rockford fosgate tower speakers in the polished (bullet-like) cans -- like most who ordered directly from Malibu for 2007 model year. I have the whole rockford fosgate stereo setup that the option came with (3 amps, sub, ect.). If I swapped the tower speakers out for wetsounds (not sure which model) - would the music be any louder behind the boat?

I guess my situation is, I don't want to mess with anything else - amps, setup, or anything. I want to bolt on the wetsounds, but if it won't sound louder, I am not really interested... any one that can chime in on this?

Thanks!
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-21-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
OMG yes there is no comparison.
Old     (wetsounds1)      Join Date: Jan 2006       04-21-2008, 8:47 AM Reply   
Mike,

Adding 2 pairs of PRO 60X's to that tower without changing anything else. WILL be a very large increase in volume. Since you will be going from a car audio based system to our pro audio based system.

Tim
Wet Sounds
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-21-2008, 8:53 AM Reply   
HUGE difference. The RF amps might need to be upgraded too.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-21-2008, 9:18 AM Reply   
The tower speakers that most boat companies put in the boats stock are a joke. Wetsounds will be at least 5 times louder than the rockford fosgates.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2008, 9:30 AM Reply   
Someone needs to write a few paragraphs and explain the mechanics of why HLCD is much more applcable in fixed direction sound projection than a typical dome tweeter, that way when this topic comes up, it can be directed to and would have much better information than the typical "YES, it will be much louder" reply.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-21-2008, 9:42 AM Reply   
Rather than bolting in car audio speakers, you might look into getting the Bullet Hollow Point 650's. They are HLCD pro audio speakers and Bullet is selling the speakers only. So if you have cans you can now upgrade to HLCD.

Check www.bulletspeakers.com to see if they will fit in your Metcraft cans.
Old     (houdini)      Join Date: Aug 2005       04-21-2008, 10:07 AM Reply   
No one is going to even say that it may not be that much louder?! Like you guys are all 100% sure it will be louder by a noticable level out on the water - without changing anything about my setup besides the speakers in the cans? Stewart, I would definitly consider that idea - are the Bullet 650s compariable to the wetsounds 6.5" speakers?

From what I have found, wetsounds won't let you just buy the speakers correct? If I could avoid buying new cans and trying to sell mine, I would save a little.

Thanks guys - you are great, but also terrible since this will cost me some coin, but I would really love that increase in volume!!!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-21-2008, 10:22 AM Reply   
and so will your riders. Fellow boaters may not so much depending on your flavor of music.
Old     (stewart)      Join Date: Feb 2006       04-21-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
mike,

Wetsounds sells there XS-650 separately, which is a 6.5" car audio coaxial speaker. Used mostly for interior.

The Hollow Point 650 is an HLCD similar to the Wetsound Pro 60X.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-21-2008, 11:38 AM Reply   
mike,
No one is going to tell you it will not be much louder b/c it will absolutely be louder with ANY compression driver. It is all in the way the sound is projected. An HLCD directs the sound into a tight area vs. a typical dome tweeter which scatters sound evenly about. Think of someone yelling through a rolled up piece of paper, or placing their hands around their mouth to project the sound. You can hear better on the open end, and not so much on the sides. That is essentially what an HLCD does (there is much more to it). It is able to more efficiently direct the sound to a fixed area vs. the scattering in all directions that a typical dome tweeter does.

Wetsounds has been recommended to you b/c of the customer service buyers have received and the materials used in their manufacturing. They are a true marine HLCD setup.

One downfall (other than a huge price tag) HLCD has is that they truly perform when they are given appropriate power. You may need to upgrade an amp to run them at a volume that makes you happy or makes you feel like you got your money's worth. It's not so much the HLCD needs the power, but rather the entire system that you would purchase. HLCD actually have relatively low power reqs.

(Message edited by olSkoolTige on April 21, 2008)
Old     (liveoz)      Join Date: May 2002       04-21-2008, 2:19 PM Reply   
I actually use less amp power with my addictions than with my older sklons, similar volume in the boat, but WAY LOUDER behind the boat
Old     (jiffy)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-01-2008, 8:27 PM Reply   
I would say that Wetsounds require a lot more power from the Amp than normal car speakers. I went searching for a 2 channel 250 RMS Amp today. Only the most powerful Amps available push 250 RMS X 2 continuously.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-01-2008, 10:44 PM Reply   
Mike,
All i can say is wetsounds company slogan...Hearing is BELIEVEING. I went from 4 6x9s to two PRO 485s and it is clearer and at least5 times louder and travel much further.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-02-2008, 3:00 AM Reply   
the difference will be night
and day. like a yugo to a vette. all the new tiges have the wetsounds speakers and i have been looking at them i am blown away by these speakers. i liked them so much i changed out my in boat clarions to the wetsounds 650s and WOW what a difference. im going to change the sub next and then the tower. its a real no brainer to me wetsounds are just that much better. good luck in your decision!!