Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       12-16-2011, 7:36 PM Reply   
I'm looking at getting a new head unit. I've got an iPhone 4 and an original 64 GB iPad. It would be cool to be able to just hand a passenger the iPad (In an Otter Box) and tell them to play DJ without being tethered by a USB cable. So, I'd potentially be interested in getting a receiver that has USB and Bluetooth capabilities but I don't want to have to take a big sacrifice in audio quality to do it.

I've heard that with recent equipment that you don't take much of a hit in sound quality since we're already dealing with compressed audio anyway. Is it worth going for one with Bluetooth or should I just get one with an iPhone capable USB port?

My "system" is pretty basic consisting of 8 Polk DB651 speakers (4 on the tower powered by a 200 watt amp, 4 in the cabin powered by the HU). I have short term plans for anHU w/ aux input and long term plans for a 5-6 Ch amp to power everything including an Image Dynamics 10" sub that I already own. So, I never plan to go very big $$$.

For a Bluetooth capable HU I'm looking at the Sony DSX-S300BTX (I don't care about CDs):
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158DSX3...=T#details-tab

For a USB only I'm looking at the Alpine CDE-123:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_500CDE1...Brand%7cAlpine

Has anyone made any direct comparisons with recent, budget equipment between interfacing with a device on USB and then on Bluetooth?