Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 27, 2006

Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2006, 9:23 AM Reply   
I'm sick! I got a boat about three months ago, Started wakebording "cant stop - thinking, doing reading, dreaming, watching it." I am so close to clearing w2w. My wife, just as of yesterday get's right up on first pull. And my two boy's 11 and 6 are real close to getting out of the water. Is this normal? Hope the feeling never goes away!
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-30-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
Normal...absolutely and it will only get worse. As you continue to progress you will be wanting more. At least I know I do.
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       08-30-2006, 9:27 AM Reply   
lol. I have the same problem. I just can't get enough.
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-30-2006, 9:33 AM Reply   
Living it and breathing it is the only way to go! You can relate it to surfers.....the ocean is the source for them, and they will tell you, it's surreal. For us..the same feelings come from the lakes, boats, and wakeboards.....and as a bonus, you can see the smiles on the faces of your friends and family when you enjoy this sport. I used to see big hills off the sides of the road and daydream about hucking it 4th gear on my dirtbike, and clicking it over something huge. Now I see a glassy puddle and instantly think....."is my wakeskate in the truck?"
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-30-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
It gets to the point where as others including myself have stated "looking into my bowl of cereal I can imagine hitting my cornflakes as rails and kickers" "Driving by the sewage treatment ponds today lookin at the calm waters I was wondering if I could gap from pool to pool"

The feeling does go away in some people and for many of us it doesn't.
Old     (josnow1)      Join Date: Apr 2006       08-30-2006, 9:34 AM Reply   
Welcome to Wakeboarding...:-) I use to get 50+hrs a week in at work. Now doing good to get 40hrs. On the water 4-5 times a week. $100+/week in gas. My wife flew from SC to CA to attend WakeBoard Boot Camp. And we just started riding this year. Scared to see how next season will be.
"Cant stop watching" Get the "Book", Ive been watching it every day since we got it last week.

(Message edited by josnow1 on August 30, 2006)
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       08-30-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
Its a healthy ADDICTION !
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       08-30-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
It's been a 9 year addiction for me that is just starting to lose a bit of pull. The only reason it's subsiding is because I'm starting to get this other desire to find a lady, settle down, and have a couple wee gaffers runnin about.

However since the lady thing doesn't want to resolve itself I think I'll give this body of mine a big push after surgery and see where I end up.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-30-2006, 10:26 AM Reply   
Nothing gets me more excited than a sunny morning and a lake full O butter. Too bad the last weekend of summer is here
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-30-2006, 10:57 AM Reply   
Heck I for one am THRILLED summer is over. No more extreme temps and sunburn, kooks on tubes,etc. Fall is the PRIME time to ride!
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       08-30-2006, 11:18 AM Reply   
Jesse, You are now one of us!! Thats the reason most of us are on here! We can't stop thinkin about the next time we get to put our bindings on and ride!! I was just thinkin how bad I wanted to go ride today, before I read your post. I always keep my gear in my truck, cuz I never know when I will go ride. (just about every day) Today I have stuff to do at home so I didn't bring my stuff with me.(thats the only way I can stop my self from goin out.) Im beat! I have rode so much this year, I have worn my self out. My truck is a mess (Have not washed it in a long time), my grass is long, and my body hurts. But if I had my board with me I would be ridin TODAY!!! Its the BEST SPORT IN THE WORLD!!!!! WELCOME!!!!!!
Old     (leigh)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-30-2006, 11:21 AM Reply   
What's great is when your kids think you are "cool" because you can wakeboard too!!!! It's a great sport and it's something fun to do as a family!

Welcome to a new world!
Old     (jtd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2006, 11:32 AM Reply   
I'm in the same boat as you are.....just started it. I dont even have a boat but I can't get enough. If anybody offers me a pull I'll drop whatever I'm doing to go (Including cancelling dates :0). Its awesome!
Old     (tnctryboy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2006, 12:00 PM Reply   
I agree I go into it last summer with a buddy and love it. this Drives my wife crazy "All you talk about is wakeboarding". I grew up on the water a lake in middle Tennessee I keep regretting that I didn't get into it sooner. My 5 year old has even caught the bug and wants to go. The problem is I don't own a boat and am not going to ask someone if I can bring him.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-30-2006, 12:08 PM Reply   
If I could ride as much as I think about riding I would be killing it. Plain and simple, I'm obsessed.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-30-2006, 12:12 PM Reply   
Welcome to wakeboarding! This site is my homepage, I use it as a way to keep my going mid week when I'm away from the lake. Once you get the wakeboarding bug it'll never go away.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-30-2006, 2:17 PM Reply   
Well, if you need someone to ride with, while you placate your addiction, let me know.
Old     (pottsy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-30-2006, 2:35 PM Reply   
ur just like me, im always thinking about it in school and it helps get me through the long week
Old     (thegirl)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2006, 2:53 PM Reply   
Oh, this is hysterical! We are all so sick, dreaming of riding, carrying our gear about, dumping dates and making elaborate plans to meet or find or somehow get to the WATER and RIDE!

Yeah, I'm hooked, too. I'm supposed to be working right now, but hey - I can't be involved with things that interfer with this addiction. }
Old     (tnctryboy)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-30-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
I know what you are saying one computer is for working and my laptop is always on this page.
Old     (boarder_x)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-30-2006, 3:44 PM Reply   
Ha ha,..... Two monitors, work on one, this website on the other... Outlook minimized
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       08-30-2006, 4:13 PM Reply   
I am going to have my girlfriend read this thread. She cant understand how I can be so obsessed with the sport.We have got into huge fights because of it.She is not big on being out there and really I have'nt met anyone yet who likes being out there all the time.Like I always say the boat is my girl and the ride is my sex.
Old     (jhertz27)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-30-2006, 5:42 PM Reply   
Jesse,

You are one sick sick man my friend. Soon your wife will have you taking WB Anonymous.

Welcome to the club!
Old    Lakewood, WA            08-30-2006, 6:54 PM Reply   
nice thing about my job is i'm a firefighter. I work 8 or 9 days a month, and try to never go wakeboarding on weekends.

i too am addicted. Between my wife, two sons and me we own five wakeboards, five bindings (I have an extra set of bindings for my big footed firefighter friends), four wetsuits, two drysuits, three props, etc etc.

I think about it all the time. Worse than when i figured out how much fun girls were. I bore my buddies at work. My wife gets tired of me constantly talking about it.

What makes it so damn addictive?? It is like a drug!
Old     (dcranium)      Join Date: Mar 2006       08-30-2006, 9:57 PM Reply   
Jesse it's definitely a sickness. And I don't want to get better!
Old     (foxrepdc)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-31-2006, 6:40 AM Reply   
And you hear about this "Crackberry" stuff on the news....I just got the 8700 and it's SO much faster than my old one and downloads all the banner ads on WW very quickly, plus all the other news, wake, MX, skate, and snow sites I visit daily. It's nice, except the constant work related stuff hitting my inbox. Plus....I like keeping track of threads that I may have lobbed a grenade or two on! Can't enjoy my lake time if I think someone may have put me under the bus!! So I guess I have the same addiction as everyone else...PLUS "Boarderberry" syndrome!!!!!!
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-31-2006, 12:23 PM Reply   
It seems we all have the same problem, you can't talk about wakeboarding with people that arn't into it. If you wakeboard you can talk to someone else that wakeboards all day, but someone who doesn't wakeboard just doesn't get it. It's like a drug in two ways, it gets you addicted, and it's really expensive.
Old     (watersnake)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-01-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! I new it, Thought for a secound maybe I was wierd or somthing?? Good to here I'm not alone in this thing we call ("life"=WakeBoarding).
Old     (firemedic)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-05-2006, 11:32 PM Reply   
Hey John (lakewood), what dept. do you work for? I'm FF/Medic w/ Puyallup. Anyway, I agree, it's an addiction, I love it!
Old     (girlsrepresent)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-06-2006, 5:55 AM Reply   
I can totally relate, this is my first summer
wake boarding and I can not stop talking about it. I am totally addicted. I am driving my non water friends crazy! LOL
Old     (j3t_m3ch)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-06-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
It's not my first summer BUT MAAYNNN can i relate to what everyone wrote.....its not just a sport - its a lifestyle.....im kani and im a wake-aholic! Thats awesome your getting your kids into too...i cant wait til my sons old enough. welcome to the addiction!