Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 19, 2005

Old    somethingnew05            06-11-2005, 5:31 PM Reply   
well, i read the tutorials and some instructions and I have a 19 foot searay no tower in oldsaybrook CT and decided to go out today as my first time. I bought a basic Obrien 140 ambush for a board. Im 6'1 and weigh 220. The first few times i acutally got up from the ball postion i just shuttered back and forth and got pulled face first over and over and over again. then i told my drive to get me out of the water a bit faster and what happened was as i got out i pulled myself up and got slingshoted so fast over the wake i went flying and was ripped out of the bindings. I lept trying though until i finally got out of the water and goign straight for about 10 secs then i just went over the rightside wake and board went sideways lost balance and ripped out of bindings again. The onyl question i have is can someone link me to a picture of how my bindings should be set up. my first attemtps i had them as this

I / sorta then i switched to / / and finally \ \

all of them though i was getting owned left and right by board goign sideways. Any tips or advice someone could add that could get me to at least go back and forth once that was my goal for today didnt reach it however :-). Thank all, also if anyone launches at RT9 exit 2 CT let me know i wouldnt mind learning from someone that is willing! thanks

-havingfunin05!

/excuse grammer
Old     (sixeye)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-11-2005, 6:17 PM Reply   
Hi George,

You should have your toes pointed slightly outward and the distance between the feet about the same width as your shoulders or just slightly wider.

When learning to get up, stay down crouched as long as you can and don't stand up until your board is planing on the water.

If you poke around here on Wakeworld, there is a good article or two on how to get up. For example this one: http://www.wakeworld.com/Articles/2002/GettingUp.asp

There are also some great training DVDs like "Higher Education", "Detention" and "Waketrix". These all take you from beginner through intermediate to advanced.

BTW, no tower is necessary to have fun in this great sport. If you get hooked like the rest of us, you'll no doubt want one later but for now, use what you have and enjoy. You can always add an after market tower to your boat if you like, or opt for a wakeboard specific boat. Since you already have a boat, enjoy it, and practice getting up and riding. You'll love it!

Welcome to the sport!
Old    diehards            06-11-2005, 11:17 PM Reply   
Hey George,
Try letting go with your back hand after you come up out of the water, This will straighten the board out and put you into a "surfer stance". You will be able to control the board a lot easier from this position. Turn by leaning heal or toe side- just like a skateboard.
Have fun, you are on your way to jumps, flips and spins.