Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 06, 2007

Old     (stanfield)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-21-2007, 6:13 AM Reply   
Hull = lifetime warranty (I'm assuming if transferred properly)

Gel Coat = 1 year warranty

There is a difference between the two. I too find it odd that it happens only on the bunks, but I'm no boat builder.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-21-2007, 8:45 AM Reply   
I'm fixing it myself and taking the black eye.
Old    bocephus            06-21-2007, 8:48 AM Reply   
I have seen and ridden in and behind the Epic. I think it's a great idea. I have to Chris a big thumbs up also. However, I have ridden in it, I have ridden behind, I have towed it in numerous times and have jump started it...For a start-up boat company I think it's a great boat, however I think you learn something in 50+ years of boat building and operating a company.

Upload

What am I going to do if in three years I have a warranty item that needs to be taken care of and the company is gone?
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-21-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
Why the F are you always pushing CC, it makes me sick.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-21-2007, 10:00 AM Reply   
"Correct Craft built the boats that Allied Forces crossed the Rhine in and Sanger comes from a high performance heritage"

Bocephus...cmon man, you sound like a cheesy car salesman spitting out all this stuff. What do you do, sit around and read marketing literature all day? I am going to agree with lasvegas, this thread has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with CC or Sanger, and honestly, I don't think anyone really cares to hear about it in every post you make.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-21-2007, 10:01 AM Reply   
Anyone can leave the key in the on position and run a battery dead in ANY boat. This does not necessarily point out a problem with Epic.
Old     (auto)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-21-2007, 10:16 AM Reply   
I think you have to ask yourself WWJD?
Old    bocephus            06-21-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
To each his own. The thread evolved. My advice to you is to not read my posts because I don't really care what you or anyone else thinks.

What this thread points out is how people rush into a decision when buying a boat. They often do so not thinking about the big picture. I am pretty passionate about CC and Sanger because of the absolutely horrible time I had with another boat that was very similar to what Ronia is experiencing now. I know a lot of you are young and think you know everything, I know I don't! As a result I try to tell people what I have learned through my years of experience and the mistake that I made by buying a boat that I thought was a good deal.

You should not only consider how good the boat looks that you are buying, but the track record of the company that built it which has everything to do with this thread!
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-21-2007, 11:08 AM Reply   
I have definitely learned my lesson and I will no longer be endorsing SC even though I loved my boat until this happened. Any given chance, I will try and talk somebody out of buying a SC by using my case as an example.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-21-2007, 11:25 AM Reply   
Honestly Ronia, unless someone asks YOUR personal story, i would keep my mouth shut.

The fact is that you bought a 2nd hand boat(not original purchaser) so you have no idea what the original purchaser did to the boat and now you are expecting SC to take care of problems that are now developing. Do you think it matters that you spent 35k? NO. This definitely goes to show that when buying a used boat, look into all details on warranties.

I totally feel bad for your situation but it definitely does not warrant you bashing SC for your entire lifetime.
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-21-2007, 11:27 AM Reply   
Sorry if the above post seems mean, it wasnt totally meant that way
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-21-2007, 11:32 AM Reply   
You're right Vegas, next purchase will be a brand new boat, cause Lord knows this wouldn't have happened if I bought the boat brand new.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-21-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
ditto.
I understand what you're saying about the bashing. I'm not saying I'm going to go out of my way to bad mouth them, but if someone asks my opinion, I will tell them my story.
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       06-21-2007, 11:41 AM Reply   
If it was my boat I would fix it, and sell it. Maybe sell as is to the buyer that likes to fix things up.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-21-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
This thread reminds me of the "Tige sucks" and "Tige uses WOOD!" posts from years ago.

Ahhh, the pleasant memories.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-21-2007, 12:39 PM Reply   
Bocheapass, how bout Hydrogate? Isnt that a fancy marketing name? The functionality of the movable seat SUCKS its like trying to set up a broken lawn chair in a closet. CC's tower looks like the railing in a handicap crapper. The 211 inside panels are flimsy plastic junk. I dont care if CC built the boat Washington crossed the Delaware in. The new 236 porpoises terrible with ballast. I guess after your post everyone on here is thinking, that guy sounds familar, kinda like RED SOVINE san210nut used to be. HHMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Old    bocephus            06-21-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
Genius!
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       06-21-2007, 1:16 PM Reply   
Ronia, I have read this thread with interest and am sorry about the problems with your hull.

One thing I thought I would comment on: you said your next purchase would be a brand new boat based on this experience. If you run the numbers, you will probably come out ahead by fixing your current boat, or even selling it and buying another used boat. "Most" of the time it works out.

You are making a decision based on a $3K unexpected hit on a boat out of warranty. You will take a bigger than $3K hit by purchasing new. People never realize how much they are paying for that comfortable "under warranty" feeling.

You might feel differently if you get the boat fixed and start enjoying it again; or maybe you will always have a bad feeling about it. Either way, it might help to take some time before making another big financial commitment.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-21-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
Roniah

If you go to Skiers Choice.com and click on Supra and then click on construction you will see this.

At Supra, we’re always thinking. And we’re always listening to our customers, to our riders, to our engineers and to our instincts. So we know what it takes to make a better wake. And we love how it feels to build a better boat.
All Supra boats are handcrafted using only the highest quality materials and the closest attention to detail, precision and performance. Our multi-point inspection and Limited Lifetime hull warranty are just two more ways we keep our promise to build you the best boat possible.

I stand corrected it is a limited lifetime hull warranty. I thought it was advertized as a (life time waranty) sorry SC.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-21-2007, 1:30 PM Reply   
Rich, Actually, I didn't mean a new-new boat, I meant a different boat from the one I have. Some people on this thread were arguing that I should have bought a brand new boat cause a warranty would cover me, but the boat is already 3 years old and I believe the blistering would have happened whether or not I was the original owner. According the SC, I would be out of luck even if I was the original owner cause the warranty would still be up after the first year. So are people saying that SC only takes care of original owners and screw the people who buy their product second hand???

We've had many boats over the years, including Cobalt, Wellcraft, Sea Ray and Ski Brendella. Cripes my Ski Brendella has over 1500hrs. and the hull never once showed signs of what I am seeing on my present boat. If the boat was 10yrs old and it sat it the water for most of the year, I would expect to see some blistering. But when a boat sits on the trailer and it's not even 3 years old, I would think the manufacture would step up. Guess not, or at least not with me!
Old    bocephus            06-21-2007, 1:35 PM Reply   

quote:

By Rich G (rich_g) on Thursday, June 21, 2007 - 1:16 pm:

Ronia, I have read this thread with interest and am sorry about the problems with your hull.

One thing I thought I would comment on: you said your next purchase would be a brand new boat based on this experience. If you run the numbers, you will probably come out ahead by fixing your current boat, or even selling it and buying another used boat. "Most" of the time it works out.

You are making a decision based on a $3K unexpected hit on a boat out of warranty. You will take a bigger than $3K hit by purchasing new. People never realize how much they are paying for that comfortable "under warranty" feeling.

You might feel differently if you get the boat fixed and start enjoying it again; or maybe you will always have a bad feeling about it. Either way, it might help to take some time before making another big financial commitment.

This is a good point. If were to buy the new boat within the next couple of months then I would agree fully. However if you buy the new boat in the off season you sometimes can make a great deal on a new boat, keep it for a couple of years and trade it in on another new boat. My dealer now gives me an awesome deal on a new boat every couple years because they know they can make money by selling my used boat (which I take great care of) and by performing all my maintenance.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-21-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
I'm kind of suprised the manufacturer dosen't step up and help you out somehow.. There is something wrong with the gel coat in my opinion and they should waive the time restriction in this case.. (just my opinion though)
I'm sure you've already done this, but I would make sure your problem is brought to the attention of everyone at skiers choice.

I had an '03 super air and had lots of warranty issues with the boat. Leaking oil, bad thermostat, gel coat problems, ballast problems, Perfect pass problems relating to the placement of the belly tank intake, more leaking oil, more leaking oil, followed by more leaking oil.
EVERY boat manufacturer has warranty issues and CC is NO exception.
I will say the guys at West Coast CC are the best to deal with though, and stuck with it until the problems were resolved.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-21-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
I wouldnt fix it til it was time to sell. Just use the boat the blisters are not going to hurt anything. Sometimes you just gotta say WTF.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-21-2007, 2:47 PM Reply   
After reading this post, I am not sure who is at fault, but I am not sure that is really the issue. Ronia, I am sorry that this has happened to you I can certainly feel your pain, especially since you loved your boat. Unfortunately, most of us have invested in a very expensive sport/activity and there are costs that are associated with it. I know that this was an unexpected cost for you, but if you love your boat I would have it fixed by the manufacturer and keep the boat.

Over the years I have had many problems with the boats I have purchased, it is part of the game. When you buy a used boat it is risk, unfortunately that has worked against you. Luckily you didn't get a faulty motor, or you would be looking at a much larger cost for repair.

I would enjoy the summer, save some coin and get it fixed over the winter (unless the water can penetrate that crack of course).
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-21-2007, 3:51 PM Reply   
I understand boats have problems. In fact, I made sure I transferred the engine warranty. But I don't agree a 3 year old boat, not kept in the water year round, should be having these kinds of problems.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       06-21-2007, 4:18 PM Reply   
I guess bottom line is what would everyone who is nailing ronia to the post here say if it were their 3 year old boat. I would be pizzed personally.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-21-2007, 4:29 PM Reply   
ronia it should not.
when you make a change give sanger a look i know many many many happy owners and have never seen this type of issue with sangerboats
i have seen hard water deposits adhere to the hull and make it like sandpaper though...
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-21-2007, 5:17 PM Reply   
Ronia

When it comes to warranties, it makes me sick how manufactures try to weasel out of their obligations to fix things that go wrong with their product. I've been on both sides of the fence. It's not easy to get the costs covered when say an engine malfunctions or a tranny doesn't work properly. Your boat manufacture doesn't "make" a lot of the parts on your boat so for them to cover the costs of fixing or replacing can be costly and just as hard to recover the costs from who they bought the product from.

Now to your case. This is ALL SC. They are responsible for the gel coat, fiberglass, hull ect ect. SC advertises that their boats are 100% hand laid fiberglass. This is a far more labor intensive process but produces a stronger product, than cheaping out and chopper gunning the boats together. However, if not done properly it can certainly cause more problems down the road. If a company has a higher turnover of the people doing this part of the build process you can certainly run into more problems. That's the number one reason Malibu and CC chopper gun their boats together.

If that's the only warranty the SC has on their hull I would run and run as far away from their product as I could. Obviously they don't believe in their product. If the manufacture doesn't believe in their product then why should we the consumer have any faith in anything they produce? To me, this is a major black mark on Supra and Moomba and I would never buy their product when you can purchase 5 other products that actually believe in what they build and back it up with a decent warranty. One year is a joke.

In my opinion now, so is Skiers Choice.
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-21-2007, 5:30 PM Reply   
What kind of warranty do the other manufactures have on their gel coat? Is it more than one year?
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-21-2007, 5:35 PM Reply   
Aaron,
My owners manual states Supra has a Lifetime Limited Warranty on the hull/stringers and a one year warranty on the gelcoat. It doesn't explain what exactly is covered on the hull warranty. And I dont' know how you can fight the difference between gelcoat and hull. Gelcoat rests on the hull ....
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-21-2007, 7:21 PM Reply   
I would start by dealing directly with Rick Tinker. No emails call and ask for him. That's what I did and my phone call never made it that far. They took care of my problem before I got to speak with him. They fixed a crack in the hull on my old boat at no cost at all. They covered the shipping and every thing on a five year old boat.
Old     (fogey)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-21-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
Yeah, don't buy another SC boat, and "given any chance...try to talk anyone else out of buying one."

What are you gonna do when your next, non-SC used boat develops a problem that the manufacturer refuses to fix? Or, have you not noticed that others on this thread say similar problems occur with other brands? And have you by any chance noticed that NO ONE has said they know of ANY manufacturer who has assumed responsibility for blisters on a 3-year-old used boat?

What then? Jump to yet another manufacturer? When you establish unrealistic expectations, you're doomed to disappointment.

If anyone asks me about a Supra, I'll tell that SC offered to help someone who bought a used Supra and later had a gelcoat problem -- even though the boat was out of warranty and the hull appeared to have impact damage. I'll add that I haven't heard of other manufacturers doing that.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-21-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
Jeff,
ok
Old     (faceplanter69)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-21-2007, 8:53 PM Reply   
Aaron if you have to contact Rick directly to get something done that's crap. It should never go that far. How many times does a BU owner have to contact their president, what about an MC owner, or CC owner. Never heard of having to go that far. Is he just in charge of damage control?

What does Rick think? OMG someone is making an issue about our boats, I'd better hush him up, fix his problems and sweep it under the carpet. For the people that have problems that don't get fixed and don't contact Rick I guess SC wins.

It shouldn't go that far...
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       06-21-2007, 9:12 PM Reply   
Paul

I like to deal with the person who has the final say so in any situation. That was why I asked for Rick T. Like I said it never maid it that far. With all of the things Rick T has to do maybe he is unaware that this type of problem is not being handled correctly.
Old     (rickt)      Join Date: May 2002       06-22-2007, 6:29 AM Reply   
Ronia,

Rob Loucks our customer service manager brought me up to speed on your claim before he left for a long holiday. Every claim within the company goes through the same process and is first matched against our written warranty for approval. In this case, Their were two factors which effected the approval of the claim vs the written warranty. First is the boat claim with the original owner?(which is what our warranty covers) If the answer is no? which is the case here, then did the 2nd owner go through an authorized dealer to have the warranty transferred? In this case the answer is no again. The reason we have the warranty transferred through a dealer is to avoid this very issue. Having the dealer inspect and review the boat for the customer and outline any issue they have observed gives the customer a clear definition of where they begin. For our own protection as well, we want the boat reviewed to know that the boat was in good order and free of defects or customer damage before transferred. Given the nature of boating it is difficult to transfer a warranty without inspection. Blisters are covered under our warranty, but as all companies note, there are exclusions to this warranty which deal with customer neglect and in the case of blisters in particular the long term extended storage of a boat in water. In the case of the original owner we do not know how the boat was handled or treated in this regard. Warranty decisions can create some of the toughest issues for any company. We try to be as fair and impartial to all in making these decisions. While we may and have recieved a large amount of bad will on this, and the easiest thing for me to do would be to override our customer service department, at some point you have to have a decent line on what you will and won't cover and it has to be applied fairly to all.

My sincerest apologies for the issues that you have encountered.

Rick Tinker
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-22-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
I'm actually in the market for a new/used boat right now and can scratch anything made by Skiers Choice off the list...

Good luck Ronia, I thought if you brought it to the attention of people higher up in the company maybe they would do what's right... A three year old boat with this kind of issue is just not right.
Old     (tracktor)      Join Date: Sep 2005       06-22-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
I will have no problem with buying a boat made by Skiers Choice. It's sad too see more and more cases of people who think they deserve things "just because". This whole thread is a sad reflection on today's society.............
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-22-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
I am no expert in boat repair or inspection, but it seems to me it can be determined by inspection whether the problem is a defect or from neglect. If it is a defect, the manufacturer should be responsible for taking care of the problem, regardless of what the express warranty states. If the problem is from neglect, the manufacturer shouln't have to take care of the problem.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       06-22-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
Traktor I totally agree.

This shouldn't have happened really but without knowing how the last owner treated the boat how can Skiers Choice possibly warranty the craft...

Props to Rick for coming on here and giving his final word on it.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-22-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
This is somehow Skiers Choice's fault?

I think Ric made it pretty clear as to how, and why they are taking the position they are. It truly sucks that Ronia got hosed on her purchase, but I don't see how this reflects poorly on Rick.

Maybe some sort of an off line discussion between the two could prove to be beneficial. The local SC dealership may have the ability to have the work done at a reduced rate or something to that effect???

Just a thought.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-22-2007, 12:04 PM Reply   
After Reading Tinkers response, I have to agree. All you had to do was transfer the warranty. Cutting costs to try and save money by not getting the warranty leaves you at risk for things like this. Sorry it happened to you, but for all SC knows, the previous owner could have taken horrible care of the boat. You just never know.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       06-22-2007, 12:48 PM Reply   
I agree with Ricks stance. If they fixe every used neglected boat from their company all it is going to do is push prices up on their new boats or bankrupt the company and then no one will get any kind of warranty.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-22-2007, 12:53 PM Reply   
Glad to see Rick came in here and held to his guns even after an attempted public flogging.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       06-22-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
I'm still struggling a bit with the reasoning behind transferring a warranty through an authorized dealer. From what I understand, the transfer doesn't extend the warranty in any way. It merely applies the remainder of the already-existing warranty to a new owner. If that's the case, then what does it matter who brings it in for warranty work? If the original owner hadn't sold it there would be no inspection of the boat yet the manufacturer would still warranty it at that time. Sounds more like a way for the manufacturer to weasel out of continuing to work on problematic boats the original owner sold rather than dealt with.

Now I'm not exactly clear on whether or not the warranty would've been valid had it been the original owner. I've seen some conflicting info on exactly how long the hull is originally warrantied for. Denying a claim because of lack of official transfer when it would've been covered from the original owner is pretty sorry in my book but is that actually the case here?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-22-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
Tried to save a few bucks and bought a used boat and then chose not transfer the warranty to save some more cash and now its the MFGs fault. Lets bash the MFG some more, cuz they gotta be at fault.
Old    bocephus            06-22-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
Why don't you just call her stupid Billy?
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-22-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
Bocheezass, why would I call her stupid Billy,cuz her name is Ronia? But its ok to call Supra no good all through this thread because of one boat with blisters? Get real. When is a MFG supposed to draw the line? If SC agreed to fix this one because of this thread how many others would pop up and say "what about me" my boats only 2yrs older than hers and you fixed Ronias. Besides you have a lifetime warranty on the hull WAH WAH. Every MFG has issues one way or another not one is perfect.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-22-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
First let me say that I do not remember being offered a transfer of warranty on the hull. That is not to say I wasn't offered it, I just don't remember the option. I did, however, pay for the transfer of warranty on the engine so I do understand the risks of buying something used.

Secondly, the blisters on my boat are ONLY OCCURING WHERE THE TRAILER BUNKS REST ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BOAT, which indicates to me, the boat has spent more of its time on the trailer than in the water... otherwise the blisters would be scattered in other places. They are ONLY where the 4 back trailer bunks lay.
Old     (ladythump)      Join Date: Jul 2004       06-22-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
Billy,
I don't believe I have ever bashed Supra in this thread. I have merely explained my situation and asked what other people thought of it. I did say I would not recommend SC to other people, but that is only because the manufacturer (this is only my opinion) is at fault here. If they step up and fix the problem, I would have nothing but great things to say about SC. And quite frankly, I have heard of SC stepping up with other customers and this is the reason why I bought a SC product in the first place.
Old     (tmobe)      Join Date: Mar 2007       06-22-2007, 2:26 PM Reply   
Everyone is allowed there opinion..well here is mine. I hope it helps.
This is one long winded thread but good reading. I am on my 2nd SC boat. 05 LSV and 07 XLV. I have had little things and SC taken care of all of them. I don't see the confusion here. Unless one just needs to vent...we all do sometimes. It sucks this happened. You said you bought a used DEMO boat. They are ALWAYS abused. You say you know it had 100's of stress cracks at the rub rail...little hint. There will be at least few, or maybe more boats of all kinds that will come off the floor with problems. That is what the warr is for. It isn't a lifetime thing. Fact is the warr is expired. SC shouldn't have to repair. Props they threw you a bone and that Rick chimed in. How many can say they even know the name of whos in charge, little lone have them take time into the care of a 2nd owner 4 year old boat with no history proof. I imagine they sell 1000's of boats per year...every year. that is alot of customers. You simply have to be more careful when you buy used. That is the risk, and that is why you get used boats cheaper. You say you loved your boat till this. Fix it use it. I hope you come to terms with it and can find some way to get past it. Next time you may not what to buy a SC but the prob is to not buy a boat that is out of warr and may have been abused. I feel very bad for your situation and hope you get back on the water soon.
Old     (ridininmd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-22-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
Does it occur to anyone but me that the blisters only being where the trailer bunks are and not anywhere else that maybe something got onto the bunks and caused this? It just seems to me that if it was a manufacturing problem there would be blisters in other places as well.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-22-2007, 3:05 PM Reply   
how much to fix? fix it and forget it?
or sell and buy cc, mc or bu.
Old     (hbguy)      Join Date: Jun 2005       06-22-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
Anyone else surprised how many people have such strong opinions on this issue when the facts are not even clear? It is not clear whether the claim was made within the three year warranty period. It is also not clear whether the problem is a result of defect, neglect, or wear from normal use. It is also not clear whether SC even cares whether the cause of the problem was poor workmanship or neglect. It seems like many people are either pro boat company or pro used boat owner and that forms their opinion rather than what is right based on the circumstances.
Old     (ewater)      Join Date: Jan 2006       06-22-2007, 4:26 PM Reply   
I regularly lurk this and other websites dealing with ski/wake boats. I am also an owner of a SC product. I have noticed many threads pointing out flaws in the early 2000's model years of SC. Some of these threads have proved to be owner neglect but many have not. Personally it seems to me there was a quality control issue in those days. I can't remember any threads dealing with the hull though. In this case it seems to be either in the conditions it was stored or an issue with the trailer/storage rack holding moisture.
Old     (spherren)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-22-2007, 6:05 PM Reply   
So how about those Alanta Braves...

Have it fixed, Sell it. I work for a Chevy dealership and we see this all the time. We goodwill repairs at times up to 70k miles on a 36k warr due to keeping the customer happy but we dont pay for the repairs, GM does. You are dealing with a much smaller company and if they were to stand behind thier product in every situation then they would go broke. Not that they shouldnt but they just dont. I just bought a used 06 Malibu, and they offer a lifetime hull warr to be transferalbe for 400.00 but I figure if something happens to the hull it will either be caused by me or Malibu will find a way to make it abuse. Your most likely in a loose loose situation unless you take them to small clames court with proof of a few inspectors that is is thus a defect. Then pray that the judge sides with you. I truley understand your pain. My new Malibu has 36 hours on it and the tower powder coat broke off in a spot due to there was a drip and where the tower folds back it broke off leaving the tower exsposed. But as suspected this is not covered.
Old    sealyon.net            06-23-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
What are the chances that the bilge had water in it and it froze causing the cracks?
Old     (kdsuprassv)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-02-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
I bought an 06 20 SSV and was prepared to buy from the original owner. But while talking to my SC dealer and the SC factory they pointed out that the warranty was only transferrable through the dealer. I ended up working a deal to buy the boat through the dealer in order to transfer the warranty. I appreciate them telling me this and allowing me to work this out. The whole reason I was buying this boat versus a 2002 or 2003 was to get a warranty instead of only saving $2K-$3K and getting no warranty. Good decision or not....I felt better paying the fees and transferring the warranty.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-02-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
Every warranty in the marine industry, auto industry... etc... is very similar wording... Because you make a mistake by not following the transferable warranty instructions... is not the dealers fault... the boat was obviouslty poorly taken care of by the previous owner and passed it on to you.

You shoud have done your homework and you wouldnt be having this problem.

The funny thing about a post where a person goes and rants about the crappy issues on their boat... have fun selling it to someone who reads these discussion boards... hahahha...

When you buy your next boat... read... and understand what YOUR responsibilities are.
Old     (patrick)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-02-2007, 12:52 PM Reply   
I burned my throat drinking a cup of coffee from McDonalds. I decided never to purchase their product again. A year later I burned my throat drinking a cup of coffee from Burger King. I will never go there again... But sometimes I miss fatty fast food burgers.
I agree with what Tractor said above about our society.
I also think it's pathetic people have to shout out for Rick Tinker to "make things right" or chime in to hear his point.
Get it fixed, go out and have some fun and don't forget what BOAT stands for...one way or another we're all shelling out the dough.
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 1:20 PM Reply   
All of this but no explanation of why the shotty boat has blisters, sure fire way to tell if someone is on there way out of business! Who cares if the boat is under warranty or not, who cares if he bought it new or not? I would be ashamed of that crap if I owned worked or knew someone that was affiliated with SC.

Sounds like firestone blaming tire failure on the people who purchased their product.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-02-2007, 1:49 PM Reply   
bob
ha ha... talk about jumping to conclusions....
#1 you don't know enough details to make a rash desion like that
#2 you think the fastest growing inboard boat company will be going out of buisness soon huh.....

I don't want to get in any fights about this and I support SC and really many other inboard boat manufacturers out there. I would also be upset if it were my boat, but for Rick to get on and justify their point to everyone else is pretty stand up. I have bought 4 boats from SC and have had personal contact with many people in their organization from top to bottom and have nothing but positive things to say about their professionalism and the way they treat issues. You have to remember this was a used boat and you have no idea the situation behind it. If we knew more about it and could point a finger directly at SC, then at least you might have a little bit of a point, but we don't have that info and the boat is not under warranty. None of us do on this board reading this thread. What car/truck do you own? Do you expect them to replace your tranny, engine, paint, etc on your car when it is outside of its warranty. No... cause you know they won't..... you have to draw the line somewhere or people will step all over you. Yes that sucks for Ronia, but it is what it is.... end of subject...
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-02-2007, 1:53 PM Reply   
Well said Brutha....
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
Diggs my point is I have owned boats forever and have stored them in our boat house year round, on wet bunkers. And I have never seen or heard of a boat blistering. And I don't think you can compare a car engine,trans or paint to a boat hull. You might could compare it to the frame of a 3 year old car. But I think we would all agree that if someone had a auto and the frame was falling apart after 3 years the auto company had better grow up and do something about it, or they would be sued.
We are talking about the structure of the boat. Not moving parts.
Old     (tmobe)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-02-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
Well said Diggs. I hate it when people chime in with out reading the entire post. Next time dont skim the thread Bob. IMO
Old    bocephus            07-02-2007, 2:09 PM Reply   
I thought Epic was the fastest growing inboard boat company....

Hey Ronia,
What do you tow that boat with? I hope it's a Nissan...
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 2:14 PM Reply   
I thought it was BU...
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-02-2007, 2:15 PM Reply   
Bocephus- GO AWAY
Old     (big_b_21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       07-02-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
Is it lotoftime.... I think its too much time....

This topic has been beat to death. Seems like a lot of variables. SC has always been good to me too. And very responsive. I think that is was pretty standup for Rick to come on this thread and post a response for all to see.

Did you say Sued....? I think that all of the unknowns about this boat and the previous ownership would be cause for any attorney or judge to laugh this one right out of any court room.
Old     (rson)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-02-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
Bocephus is right.....technically they are.

You make 0 boats last year and 4 this year that is a 400% growth!!! Statistically speaking.
Old    bocephus            07-02-2007, 2:29 PM Reply   

quote:

By Tyler McCurdy (tyboarder03) on Monday, July 02, 2007 - 2:15 pm:

Bocephus- GO AWAY

Thanks for the advice Tyler!! I greatly appreciate it! Since you are only 21 I thought I would post this for you:

sar·casm (sär'kāz'əm)
- Noun
* - A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
* - A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
* - The use of sarcasm. See Synonyms at wit.

BTW, your Zinc Oxide is a little smeared on your nose...better take a look at that.

(Message edited by bocephus on July 02, 2007)
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
How can you say that his comments on this website make him a standup guy?
You must be reading another statement he made on another website or something.
What I read was Bla Bla Bla I am glad you are not the original owner. Bla Bla Bla We don't have to stand behind our product.
We are not talking about scrapes, torn seats or even a blown engine all of these could be blamed on some one else. But blisters no way...
Old    bocephus            07-02-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
Ever notice that the Meloons or Mike & Kathy Davidson never have to come onto a public forum to defend their products? I wonder why?
Old     (tmobe)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-02-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
You didn't happen to be the previous owner were you Bob? JK So defensive. lol We do know that it was a Demo boat(commonly abused and not cared for). We do not know how it was treated before she got it. We also know that there were in her words "100's of stress cracks along the rib rail" when she bought it. With that said you have to be careful that what you buy used may have been abused. There fore will not hold up as well as a cared for boat. New or used! She sounds like she does care for it well since she got it and is just kinda stuck. Sucks, no one deserves it. U by a well built product, abuse it, put a band aid on it and sell it. Company gets the blame unless you know all the facts. Lots of unknowns here to be pointing fingers. I am happy she posted this to bring attention to others that may have had the same problem. That is what this post was for in the first place I think.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-02-2007, 4:30 PM Reply   
I've watched this thread very closely, and there is an abundance of questionable information flying around.
First, I'd like to hear from a very good gel guy concerning blisters. I've been in this business for almost 20 years, and gel blisters are not at all un-common. And yes, it has happened too most, if not every brand. Gel coat is a porous surface, water moves through it. If water gets trapped inside the pores, blisters can develop. My GUESS would be that the previous owner used some type of wax/lube/etc on the bunks somewhere along the line. This substance clogged the pores of the gel, and led to the blistering.
Second: Gel is not structural. No manufacturer in the world considers the gel coat as part of the structural hull warranty.
Third: Everyone chipping their teeth like this is a Skier's Choice specific problem is out of line. I've seen blisters on Sangers, Malibu's, CC's, MC's, and pretty much every other brand of glass boat. Every manufacturer will specifically state that if the unit is to be left in the water for extended periods of time, it MUST be protected with anti-fouling, or bottom, paint. Not just to prohibit growth on the hull, but TO PROTECT AGAINST GEL DAMAGE, INCLUDING BLISTERING.
Fourth: The crack is a different story. I would like to see where it is in relation to the interior bulkheads, as it may well be an indication of a hull problem. But with out knowing exactly where it is, it's only guessing.
Fifth: The original offer to repair the hull at a discounted rate was more than fair on SC's part. The plain fact is that the boat is not under warranty, and the warranty probably never would have covered the blistering, anyway.
Old    bocephus            07-02-2007, 4:35 PM Reply   
Sounds plausible to me...

Hey Meathead,
I bet you haven't seen any blisters on a Epic? That's because they are the best boat on the market and are usually towed by Nissans!!
Old     (biz)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-02-2007, 6:07 PM Reply   
I would say spend the $1000-$2000 to get it fixed and move on (although this price has jumped up to $3k in your recent posts). If you did get a good deal... then you do the math and see if this additional cost adds up to a 'regular' deal. At that point you would be even in terms of cash outlay. However what if something else goes wrong with the boat? It was a demo boat that more than likely was used and maybe from the sounds of it abused so that may be a possibility. Then you will be upside down in terms of costs.

The bottom line is if you have a bad taste in your mouth with this boat and SC you may need a rinsing (sell the boat) and taste (buy a different boat) something else. At least you will know what to look for now. A very difficult position for all parties to be in.

And.. that crack seems like a fairly hard hit. Maybe when they put the boat in storage something happened?

I see your point as well as SC's. I had looked at SC before because of what they had done for other SC boat owners for customer satisfaction... with this case you present I am glad I did not sell my CC to purchase a SC boat. I would venture to say that almost 100% of the people on this board would be upset if the same thing happened to them, i mean the boat is only three years old! My thing on the blisters is that there is really no way of telling how they happened... the only thing I could think of other than nature (i.e. water) would be some type of chemical applied to the bunks (like liquid rollers).

One question. You may have mentioned it and i overlooked. Did anyone from SC physically come out to look at the boat or was all this done over the phone/internet?
Old     (lotoftime)      Join Date: Jun 2007       07-02-2007, 6:20 PM Reply   
I don't know if they looked at the boat or not but someone named RICK was a real "Standup guy"and posted a message that said "Bla Bla Bla Im glad you are not the original owner because if you were I would have to find another way around the fact that we built a bad product Bla Bla Bla"
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-02-2007, 6:23 PM Reply   
Bocephus- I'm aware you're being sarcastic but nobody apparently wants to hear it from you... like in many other threads you frequent people tend to get tired of you and your annoying, repetitive, and immature comments.
Old     (meathead65)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-03-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
Some of the different types of blistering may initially be covered, but I would be surprised if any company would warranty out a blister pattern that was obviously helped along by the bunks and whatever may have been on the bunks. If the entire bottom had blistered, than the cause typically would have been extended storage in the water. If some various blisters appeared all over the bottom and even the sides and deck, than there may be a very strong argument for bad gel or prep or some similar SC issue. The fact that the hull blistered ONLY at the bunks makes it pretty clear that the bunks or something on the bunks caused the problem.