Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 01, 2007

Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-14-2007, 6:19 PM Reply   
We have had problems with our fuel guage for a long time now. We have coped with the problem by filling up before every trip to the lake. We decided today that we would try to fix the problem. We thought it was the float in the fuel cell that was stuck or broken, so we replaced it. That didn't fix the problem. We have activity on the fuel gauge, but the guage will not read full. I am thinking it is the guage, but can't find a replacement. Anyone know where I can purchase a 4 in one guage? The oil, engine, fuel, and volt readings are all in one gauge. The fuel part is the only one acting up. Here is a pic of what I am looking to replace:
Upload
Any ideas?
Old     (deltaboy)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-14-2007, 9:11 PM Reply   
Not sure what brand but looks like the Faria line. Ran a search and came up with these http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=faria+4+in+1+gauge&hl=en&rls=GWYC,GWYC:2 006-13,GWYC:en&um=1&sa=X&oi=froogle&ct=title
Good luck.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-14-2007, 9:22 PM Reply   
Borg Warner I believe. Exact same one in my 06 Sanger. You can't get one from a dealer?
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-14-2007, 10:16 PM Reply   
Was that the same problem you had before you replaced the sending unit?

Take the sending unit out of the tank and leave it hooked up move the float to see if the gauge will go all the way to full
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-15-2007, 6:22 AM Reply   
We had the same problem with the new sending unit that we had with the old. The old had a float and the new was more high tech and no float. We put the new one in a large cup full of gas as well as the fuel cell on a half a tank of gas. The guage will ready empty but will not go past a quarter of a tank when it is suposed to read full. We do not have a MB dealer close by anymore. My father in law purchased the boat new in '99 and was told he had the first MB on the east coast. The dealer no longer sells MB and I believe the closest dealer is 3 hours away. Thanks for all your help!
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       04-15-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
Give these guys a call. www.salvagemarine.com
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-16-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
Called the closeset MB dealer (3 states and 125.2 Miles away) and he said that there is a lifetime guarantee on the gauges for a new MB. He was going to contact MB to see if that was also true with the older model MB's. Does anyone know the warranty on older MB gauges?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-16-2007, 3:21 PM Reply   
I am having the exact same problem with my 2000 mb and it's the same gauge. Keep me informed on what you find out.
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
It looks like the Borg Warner gauges I have. I have been having problems with my Borg Warner Message Center Display and Depth Gauge Module (http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/430210.html) and called the guys at Supreme to see if they could help me find a new one. They told me Borg Warner was not making that system any longer and they were not able to get replacements. If you are able to find someone with the old Borg Warner stuff, please post their information. Thanks.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-17-2007, 10:25 AM Reply   
I haven't found anything out yet. I am waiting on a call back from an MB dealer who is waiting for a call from MB's parts man. I have had no luck at all finding any info on Borg Warner on the web. Would love to replace it with an aftermarket gauge but don't know if it will be compatible with MB's wiring. Certainly don't want to rewire the gauges just for a fuel gauge. Worse comes to worse, we will just keep filling it up with fuel before every trip to the lake. I will keep you posted on any info I receive.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-17-2007, 1:14 PM Reply   
Just got off the phone with the MB dealer who just got off the phone with MB Sports. They said that if the gauge has one plug for one wiring harness in the back of the gauge, then there is no replacement. The gauge has to be repaired. They told me to contact Medallion Instrumentation Systems and they should be able to fix it. I tried to call them but got everyone's voice mail. I found there web site an read under the company info that BorgWarner was purchased and the name changed to Medallion Instrumentation Systems. Now I am awaiting a reply to my messages. This sucks!
Old     (keith2002)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2007, 1:41 PM Reply   
Robert - They have the display I need. Have you called around to speedometer repair shops. they may be able to fix them. We have a local place called Speed-O-Tach that can fix most types of instrumentation They were going to take a look at mine, but then the weather got nice and I decided it could wait a while. Good Luck.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-17-2007, 2:21 PM Reply   
Robert, you could always wire in a seperate Tempo Fuel Gauge and sending ( my current sending unit is a Tempo)unit to work independantly of that gauge cluster. Again I am in the exact same situation as you with a 2000 MB. I have a fuel gauge coming on Wednesday. Once I have it in I will post an update to let you know my findings.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-17-2007, 2:31 PM Reply   
I got in contact with Medallion Instrumentation's tech support and they said that they have a replacement for all of their older gauges. They also gave me some advice on trubleshooting my problem to make sure it is the gauge and not something else. They were really helpful and like I said before, this company is what used to be BorgWarner, the original manufacturer. I also thought about wiring in a seperate gauge, but would like to keep the boat as original as possible if possible.
Old     (dkjbama92mariah)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-17-2007, 6:30 PM Reply   
http://www.teleflexmarine.com/document/productpdf/document1002_5_1106.pdf
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-17-2007, 8:11 PM Reply   
that is the same as mine in my 01 sanger dx11,
I had to replace my float and that fixed it for me...you can call topside marine jim
http://www.topsidemarine.com/
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-18-2007, 12:23 PM Reply   
Just got off the phone with Medallion and they said that a new gauge would be no problem. The woman checked the availability and said that there is no supply or demand for my particular gauge, so they will have to make one. My next question was "How much is this going to cost me?" and their answer was the "same price just more time". They said normal turnaround time was 2 weeks not including shipping. Thanks for all your help and hope this helps some of you with the same problem.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-18-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
Robert,
in the mean time do like kevin said and hook it up with sending unit out of the tank and move the float up and down the gauge should "click" and read empty to full...my float had become gas soaked and did not float anymore.I purchased a new sender but only used the float and moved it to my old sender unit...
i went through similar steps to you and it was not the gauge, i had to send the gauge back...it is much more likely the sending unit that is at fault...thats one of the reasons for no demand for the gauge...and topsidemarine may have it in stock on the shelf now. no 2 weeks.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       04-19-2007, 5:42 AM Reply   
I replaced the sending unit and still had the same problem. The gauge would read empty, but would not go past a quarter of a tank when it is supposed to read full. I would call topsidemarine, but I have already placed the order with Medallion for the new gauge. Hopefully it will be two weeks at the latest. Thanks for your help.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-19-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
I ended up installing a seperate Tempe gauge to go with the Tempo sending unit that was already in the boat and everything is now working perfect. Originally the guy I bought the boat off of installed a Faria gauge with the Tempo sending unit and it wouldn't read properly. Plus he also had the wiring wrong as well.