Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2006

Old     (usarmyttt)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-20-2006, 5:44 PM Reply   
I found this today on a the Centurion site, has anyone else heard this???? This person wrote:

I recieved a call from my dealer today and he said that I needed to bring my boat in for some work. He said that Centurion has issued a bulletin for all 2006 models to adjust the tracking fins. He said something about the v-drive,transmission,and prop combination and the torque the 06's have. He said that readjusting the fins would eliminate the whitewash problem with the wake which he said was mainly on the avy's and lightning/elite v c-4 boats(same hull). I have seen others complain of this problem and thought you might want to know. I'm going to take my Saturday morning I'll let you know if it helps.
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-20-2006, 6:07 PM Reply   
Interesting, a friend of mine was having a big problem with the wake washing out on one side while the other side was perfect. He tried different things to fix (moving people/ weight aroung etc) and nothing worked. Took to the dealer and they ended up shaving off some of the rudder which did fix the problem. Model is the 06 Elite V.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-20-2006, 7:23 PM Reply   
Well our 05 does that same thing... 2005 EliteV C4, which is still the same hull i believe??? We can clean ours up but its way too touchy IMO.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-20-2006, 7:28 PM Reply   
I'll give my dealer a call tomorrow and see what they say.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-21-2006, 12:45 AM Reply   
Our dealer is a total moron... but there really arent many inboard boat dealers in central oregon, so its tough to be picky about dealers.

PeterC4- Let me know what your dealer says so I can relay that to mine and see what I hear. Thanks
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-21-2006, 12:51 AM Reply   
for example...
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
I assume this is the same whitewash problem you guys have?
Old     (usarmyttt)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-21-2006, 5:29 AM Reply   
Wow that wake looks familiar!!!
The reason I posted this is because I was having this issue too. I contacted Centurion and they "tweaked" my fins a little and it helped some. It is not perfect BUT I have seen very FEW boats of any type who's wake is perfectly shaped on both sides. I am going to try and wake it better with sacs. AS for size of wake, a very good rider got behind my boat and would not let me put ANY balast weight in, he then started doing every trick in the book. I am now convinced that you don't have to have the biggest wake to do killer tricks just good riding and form.
BTW that is exactly what my wake looked like.
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-21-2006, 2:20 PM Reply   
I called my dealer. He said he hasn't heard anything about a recall yet but will Centurion a call.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-21-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
The "wash" is a normal condition deriving from the torque and rotational direction of the prop best remedied by port-starboard trim.
Boats with a little more V can be more sensitive to port-starboard weighting, just moving one passanger is often all that is needed.
As per Fineline Ind. There is no recall, there is no service bulletin.
This myth is "BUSTED".
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-21-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
The original poster edited his post
http://www.wakesiderides.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=18164&pid=211794&st=0&#entry21 1794
Old    mendo247            07-21-2006, 3:11 PM Reply   
"The "wash" is a normal condition deriving from the torque and rotational direction of the prop best remedied by port-starboard trim.
Boats with a little more V can be more sensitive to port-starboard weighting, just moving one passanger is often all that is needed.
As per Fineline Ind. There is no recall, there is no service bulletin."

thats sounds like a bunch of b.s. to me.. take him for a ride in a sanger!! ooo wait fineline make sanger huh
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-21-2006, 3:16 PM Reply   
No Sanger is built by Sanger not Fineline.
Another Myth busted
Old    mendo247            07-21-2006, 3:27 PM Reply   
no kidding... i own a sanger i know who makes them... its been discussed many times, i just laugh at how everyone always says fineline produces both centurion and sanger...
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-21-2006, 3:30 PM Reply   
The confusion comes from the fact that Kal Kustom a west coast distributor for several boat lines.
Sells both Centurion and Sanger west of the Rockies
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       07-21-2006, 4:28 PM Reply   
Todd T-I agree that you should not need the biggest wake to do killer tricks. However riders have their preferences on what wakes they like and which ones they don't.

A friend of mine has this same issue with the wake washing out and I already posted about it above. All I know is if I just forked over big bucks for a new boat and my wake looked like the one above, I would be PISSED. I had an 03 Elite V and my bro has an 04 Elite V and both wakes shaped up nicely.
Old    sking55405            07-21-2006, 5:48 PM Reply   
The centerion wake looks really narrow. Just my opinion.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       07-21-2006, 6:47 PM Reply   
I have an 05 Avalanche - wake is slightly more sensitive to wash on the port side. We have always been able to overcome with extra weight on that side. Wake is vert and solid. Our dealer has adjusted tracking fins on a few 05's and 06's to make it easier to get the wake clean.

Chris - the avalanche wake is wider than most. Most riders ride 5ft in on our boat compared to an X-star or Wakesetter.
Old    sking55405            07-21-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
Yea i was just wondering because by the look of it in the picture it seemed a little narrow.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-21-2006, 8:45 PM Reply   
Agreed it is somewhat narrow but I ride around 24.5 - 25mph with only about 500lbs + passengers
Old     (mike_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-21-2006, 11:24 PM Reply   
Just to clear it up for a few people. Kal Kustom is the parent company for Centurion, Supreme, Sanger, Reinell, Blue Water, Nordic and more. KK isn't distribution…they own the factories. The hull of the Centurion is built at the same place as Sky Supreme, which is Fineline in Merced. In NO WAY is Sanger the same as those boats, other than ownership.

If you've ever had the unpleasant drive down the CA 99, Sanger is about 10 seconds south of Fresno, Ca. It’s a nice factory with a family feel. The reason a lot of boaters outside of CA haven't heard of them is that they limit boat production with a max of around 400/year. However, with over 50 years of building power boats, barefoot boats, ski and wakeboard boats, Sanger has plenty of experience. There are a lot of new boat companies out there, but quality comes with knowledge.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-22-2006, 7:14 AM Reply   
"Kal Kustom is the parent company for Centurion, Supreme, Sanger, Reinell, Blue Water, Nordic and more. KK isn't distribution…they own the factories. "

Jason
This is absolutley not true for Centurion and Sanger. Kal Kustom is the West Coast disturbutor for Centurion and Sanger they DO NOT OWN the facotries! Supreme is built by fineline for Kal Kustom just like they built Geko and Tige in the past. I have not idea about the ownership of the other lines.

From the Sanger Web site

http://www.sangerboats.com/sanger-history.html

"Sanger Boats is a second generation company that lives on today through siblings Mike and Kathy Davidson. This company was started by Jack and is owned exclusively today by Kathy and Mike. Today's boats are designed by Mike. Mike worked beside Jack since childhood and learned the art of designing a unique, quality boat from the best. Today, it is Mike who is on the cutting edge of boat design for the current industry demands. Kathy manages the day to day business operations of Sanger Boats and Stellings Marine Offshore Headers."

(Message edited by krbaugh on July 22, 2006)
Old     (ef3529)      Join Date: Nov 2003       07-22-2006, 7:22 AM Reply   
Jason, I am not trying to start anything but Kal Kustom is the distributer for Centurion on the west coast. Rick Lee is the owner of Centurion. He owns the Merced and North Carolina plants. Everything West of the Rockies goes through KK for Centurion. On the East coast the boats come directly from the factory. Merced use to build the hulls for Sky Supreme as well as some others. Fineline was paid to produce the boats for others and all the distribution went through KK. On the east coast most everything comes from the factory. Skiers Choice, Malibu, Centurion, and Mastercraft.
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-01-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
I had the fin mod done on my 05 cyclone which was having problems with the driver's side wake. I haven't really been in water that's calm enough to really tell if it made a big difference...but it appears that the wake has evened out.
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-01-2006, 8:20 PM Reply   
Centurion owners- what year boats have this problem? Just wondering because my friend is possibly looking at some Centurions, but more in the 1999-2002 range... Do boats of that era have the same problem?
Old     (djiali)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-02-2006, 6:00 AM Reply   
kevin, 05s and 06s are the model years i know of.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       08-02-2006, 6:02 AM Reply   
Thats right when they added the gear reduction and the large 4 blade prop that was in 05
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-02-2006, 1:47 PM Reply   
Ok thanks. I just woldn't want him to get a boat and immediately have these issues.
Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-03-2006, 11:44 AM Reply   
The port side wash is not unique to Centurion... here is a 23ft boat by another popular makers that displays the same characteristic...
I wish people would stop calling it a "centurion problem" when it is a handling characteristic of torquey V drive boats in general-particularly with reduction gears and big props. It's easily remedied with weight but yet the whining persisits on this and other boards.
Upload