Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 17, 2004

Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       02-07-2004, 9:40 AM Reply   
Anyone interested in some DIY aluminum tower speaker cans. These are 1/4" thick 6061 aluminum with all seams welded (not bolted together or glued together like some of the cheap ebay ones).

The dimensions are 7.5" OD, 5.5" cutout for speaker, 10.75" length and each can weighs about 6 lbs. I made these to fit MB Quart 6.5" speakers, but these should work with other 6.5" speakers as well.

Clamps are no included, but I got mine here and they work great. http://www.pro-werks.com/detail.php?name=BAR+MOUNT I paid $67.95 per pair of clamps with tax and shipping.

I built 6 for my boat plus and extra 10 pair to sell. I didn't realize it would cost so much to build these, $200 per pair is basically what it cost me to build these.

These can be a good start to your own DIY project, just paint/powder coat or polish, add some dynamat, clamps and speaker terminals, oh yea and your favorite 6.5" speaker and you're set.

I am asking $200 per pair plus shipping.

Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2004, 9:48 AM Reply   
Also, if anyone is interested, there is a guy here in Santa Rosa that will powder coat up to four of these a color of your choice for $75.
Old     (bigfaceplanter)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2004, 1:00 PM Reply   
Nevermind. I see you posted the weight.

(Message edited by BigFacePlanter on February 09, 2004)
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-09-2004, 5:45 PM Reply   
Why did you use 1/4" thick pipe instead of thinner tubing? Nice welding BTW, I've been trying to teach myself tig'ing aluminum on some small projects but haven't put in enough time and I'm finding out how easy it is to destroy perfectly good parts.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2004, 6:12 PM Reply   
I used the thicker tubing so there wouldn't be a "tinny" sound. The thicker tubing with a Dynamat lining should make for a very solid sound. Thanks for the props on the welding, but I can't take the credit, I sent them out to a shop in town. I've heard welding aluminum is tricky and I've only welded with a torch. I didn't want to smoke all of the expensive material.
Old     (sdboardr99)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-09-2004, 6:17 PM Reply   
Well now you know why a set of speakers (can, mounts, speakers, terminals) cost at least $600!

People think that it's really cheap to make them because they are made of aluminum but it's not. The material costs next to nothing, but the labor for machining and welding is big $$$.

The cans look great, very solid.

Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2004, 6:52 PM Reply   
Yea, these things aren't cheap. The material was $76 per pair and the labor (local machine shop)was $116 per pair. It's one of those things where once you figure out how much it's actually costing you, you've already spent enough money to where you need to ride it out in hopes that you can finish up the product and atleast make your money back. If I can't sell any of these I guess I'll have to finish all of them out with speakers and clamps and figure out a way to fit 26 cans on my tower, talk about weight concerns.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2004, 7:02 PM Reply   
Oh yea, for the Horn Loaded Compression Driver crowd, I found a 6" round horn that fits these cans nicely. You can buy them for eithr a 1" screw on or 1" clamp on driver. I'm going to try four MB Quart 6.5" midbass drivers with two eminesence HCLDs through 6" horns.

(Message edited by the_madness on February 09, 2004)
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       02-09-2004, 7:03 PM Reply   
Here's some pics of the horns

Old    whitechocolate            02-09-2004, 9:17 PM Reply   
WOW thoes look solid. Im sure they will sound great once they are lined with the Dynamatt and stuffed with your speakers Nice! please show us what they look like when your finshed.
Old     (bdavis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-10-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
Brad if noone else buys them you've got 20 super sized drink holders
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
I am considering the following...

4 speakers ($220 pr) and 2 board racks ($120 each)

Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       02-10-2004, 1:03 PM Reply   
Maybe I can find a way to refrigerate them and make a beverage cooler/holder. Now there's and idea.
Old     (salty87)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-11-2004, 12:32 PM Reply   
kyle-

i have a pair of those cans, from the same guy. i haven't put them on the tower yet but as far as materials....they are solid. i'm working on making my quick release ryno-brackets work with them, otherwise these would already be up there.

Old    sonicr1            02-11-2004, 3:25 PM Reply   
OK, I hate to add to the hijacking of this post, but Salty, where did you get the brackets?
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       02-11-2004, 3:37 PM Reply   
Is ryno-gear still making the quick release clamps? I haven't heard anything about them in a while. How much were the ryno-brackets?
Old    sonicr1            02-11-2004, 3:56 PM Reply   
nevermind, I found a web site, they are expensive!!!!!!!