Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 21, 2008

Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       07-28-2008, 3:13 AM Reply   
WATERSKI & WAKEBOARD WORLD CUP SERIES ONCE AGAIN ATTRACTS THOUSANDS TO DUBNA IN RUSSIA

That was the headline of an emailed article I just received. I thought I was back in the 80's. It talked about slalom, jump and ""shortboard" MENS SHORTBOARD results:
1. Jaret Llewellyn (CAN
2. Oleg Deviatovski (BLR)
3. Herman Beliakou (BLR)
Nothing else about wakeboarding - or any recognizable WB names. What's up with this??
Old     (xistential)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-28-2008, 3:38 AM Reply   
I thought I heard Darin was there??? Didn't Shaun go to an event there last year?
Old     (teamvaldez)      Join Date: Apr 2003       07-28-2008, 5:12 AM Reply   
I know Ricky G went over there and I believe Thomas Horrell. I am not sure the invitation process but they paid well to just show up and paid for the airfare as well.

Hey Lloyd, Are you and roma over the moon about the baby? hugs to the family!
Old     (wakebrdjay)      Join Date: Apr 2008       07-28-2008, 6:26 AM Reply   
Isn't Jaret a trick skier also? That might be what they are calling shortboard.
Old    wakejjboard12            07-28-2008, 6:56 AM Reply   
def recognize jaret's name from the masters. prob right jay.
Old     (adam_balon)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-28-2008, 7:00 AM Reply   
mabey trick skiing.
Old     (lmtwa)      Join Date: May 2001       07-28-2008, 7:03 AM Reply   
Chris - Shaun was there last year - but I'm not sure if it was the same event.
Robin - I tried to upload a picture - but was not successful - but the answer is "Yes"
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       07-28-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
For several years now, the new term is shortboard, not trick skiing.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-29-2008, 4:28 AM Reply   
Look I grew up a trick skier. It's trick skiing! You want to start doing some things not in a 20 second pass and grabbing it, you may be able to call it a short board. You put your foot in the rope and dance around...it's trick skiing. They need to embrace it.
Old     (nj_alex)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-29-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
I still have my old wooden water skis out in my shed. Maybe I'll break those bad boys out and give them a hug.
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-29-2008, 9:31 AM Reply   
I don't think every stop includes wakeboarding. In fact, there might be a stop that doesn't include waterskiing.

I can't explain the change from trick skiing to shortboard.
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       07-29-2008, 10:26 AM Reply   
This is through the IWSF (International waterski Federation) - which USAWaterski is under. They have separate events for sking and wakeboarding. Don't confuse this with World Cup that is the WWA and is in the Philippines, Wakestock, Malibu Open, Japan, Nationals and Worlds and has nothing to do with the Pro Wakeboard Tour or King of Wake which all have some events that count for all 3 but none count toward the World Cup except those which are sanctioned by the IWSF. Pretty straight forward stuff

WWA-
Pro Tour 5 stops and has its own winner. These 5 count toward King of Wake
King of Wake- The 5 PWT stops plus Pro Am, Wake Games, Nationals and World.
World Cup-PI, Wakestock, Malibu Open, Japan, Nationals (I think and Worlds).
IWSF/USAWaterski
World Series- Multiple ski and wakeboard events
USAWaterski-
Pan Am, Board Up Miami, US Masters.
Also a National Wakeboard League
INT
SInce we are totally confused lets throw in the INT which has wake and and knee and wakeskate.

Cable-
both the WWA and the IWSF have a world competition and a series.

Thank goodness wakeboarding is so big other wise this fragmented arrangement could really hurt trying to sponsor events.
Old     (focker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2008, 10:28 AM Reply   
"...Thank goodness wakeboarding is so big other wise this fragmented arrangement could really hurt trying to sponsor events."

Post of the day.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       07-29-2008, 10:29 AM Reply   
Well, kind of to what Travis said, there are a group of trickers trying to change the way things are, and revamp tricking. They are doing new flips and tricks, ones that aren't approved tricks for tournaments, and pushing for a different style of the sport rather than toes and small spins. Stances have also come to mimic more of a wakeboard stance with the back foot straight sideways or ducked out a little. Bottom line it's a new way of marketing the sport.

I think wakeboarding was a exhibition in Dubna, not sure though.
Old     (to_blind)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-29-2008, 10:38 AM Reply   
SHORTBOARDING IS ALREADY TAKEN. THE SKIERS CAN'T HAVE IT. ASK ANY SURFER, SHORTBOARDING IS A STYLE OF SURFING USING, WELL, SHORTER BOARDS. WE CAN'T HAVE TWO "SHORTBOARDING" , SO TRICK SKIING IT IS.