Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (mattkelley02gt)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-11-2007, 4:30 AM Reply   
What do you guys think of these boards and which one would you rather ride/choose and why?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-11-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
I ride the Absolute better. This might sound weird, and I could be off base, but IMO, depending on your stature you might like one over the other. Many Marius riders I see are taller and leaner, whereas most Absolute riders are shorter and stockier. Of course there are exceptions, but from what I have seen, this is the conclusion I draw from it, lol...

Try them both, you really cant go wrong with either.
Old     (helix_rider)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-11-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
Yeah, CIE Kong is pretty lean
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-11-2007, 10:18 AM Reply   
The Absolute seems to be a board that anyone can ride well. It's great in all areas. I have always liked the absolute shapes.

The same can be said for the Marius, but this is one of those boards that you should try before you go out and buy one. Those that ride it, love it, but its not for everyone. I was one of those riders that just couldn't figure it out. I can't make it pop. Obviously other can.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-11-2007, 10:30 AM Reply   
My son's been a marius rider for years, rode the absoulte before that.... he is leanUpload
You need to demo the both of them,both are great boards..
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-11-2007, 10:44 AM Reply   
Maybe "Leaner" was the wrong word. Someone with longer arms and legs and is taller than me, which isnt too hard, lol... Either way demo and see what you like.
Old     (johnsvt)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-11-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
I agree demo first they definitely ride different. Friend of mine loves his absolute and dislikes my marius and vice versa.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       12-11-2007, 1:23 PM Reply   
LOL good stuff Loren!!

I say demo them both, IMO the Marius is the greatest thing to hit the water, and the best board if you are a little on the huskey side!(like me ). I have a few other friends that ride the Marius, My boy Kellen is a fellow big guy loves and rips on the Marius, and the rest of my friends that ride it are all little guys. One of them is 5'5 about 145lbs, rides a 140 platty Marius! The board is bigger than he is!! He switched over from the 141 lute, HE GOES HUGE!!!! on the Marius. It all up to you and what feels right on your feet. DEMO DEMO DEMO!! If you Demo the Marius give it a few sets. It take some people a few sets to get the feel. It rides way diffrent an anything on the market right now.
Old     (mattkelley02gt)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-11-2007, 2:12 PM Reply   
OK well i have an 05 Absolute Platinum 141 and i was either going to get a ab platty 135 just to see if i liked a little smaller board. I'm 5'10' 170, but for some reason some days my board feels heavy eventho its one of the lightest on the market. I was thinking of getting a smaller one to work on my spings and inverts or whatever else.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-11-2007, 2:39 PM Reply   
If you go with a smaller Absolute board, at your weight, the landings will cause more wear and tear on you body.
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-11-2007, 4:16 PM Reply   
Everyone i know who rides the marius loves it... but i guess thats why they ride it. i have herd good things about it tho.

Oh, and it can make you land three 900's in a row :-)
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-11-2007, 7:08 PM Reply   
Byrd, my son is 5'9 and 150 lbs the 134 marius is what he rides, Like cie kong said give it a couple sets.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-11-2007, 7:20 PM Reply   
Tony C. I'm guessing is about 5'10" and 180 and has no prob going big on his. Some people have told me they ride a little slow.

Upload
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-11-2007, 8:13 PM Reply   
Love the look on Larry's face...!!!!
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-12-2007, 6:44 AM Reply   
Hey Randy, Is that Husky?
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-12-2007, 7:34 AM Reply   
Gordie, there is a difference between 150lbs on a 135 and 170 on a 135. I was talking with Matt regarding riding an Absolute Plat 135 vs 141 @ 170 lbs, not a marius. I weighed about 170 a couple of years ago and tried a 135 Ab Plat to see if I liked it better than my 141, and it was a much harder landing than on the 141.

(Message edited by Byrd on December 12, 2007)
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-12-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
I normally ride a 141 Abs platinum, rode Erica Burk's 135 Platinum for a set one day, had a very good set on it, felt completely comfortable, and I'm 205lbs. I have to say that water conditions were very nice that day (could see my reflection in the flats)

Gordie - Team John Deere
Old     (kopp210)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-12-2007, 10:27 AM Reply   
I agree the old Marius shape is not for everyone, but the new one kicks butt! I went back and rode the old shape after jumping on the new shape and didn't like the old one. The new Marius shape is a much more well-rounded.
Old     (mattkelley02gt)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-12-2007, 12:24 PM Reply   
Since the Marius is wider than the absolute, do you think i could ride the 134 or do you think i should ride the 140? i'll be around 170lb
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       12-12-2007, 12:46 PM Reply   
Old    wiz            12-12-2007, 4:54 PM Reply   
i used to ride the marius & loved it. it's definitely a great board. however, this past season my heart was stolen by the slingshot.
Old     (misteve)      Join Date: Aug 2007       12-12-2007, 10:37 PM Reply   
Chuck--

How's the Slingshot compare?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-12-2007, 11:44 PM Reply   
The Slingshot rides completely different. Not like a traditional wakeboard. It has some unique features that are pretty cool but as a daily board its not my favorite. I felt that on a SLingshot if I was slightly out of position I would pretty much miss all the pop, however if you hit it right every time it can really boost you. It's weird feeling it flex underneath you and takes a few rides to get the hang of. The Slingshot definitely holds a spot for me, just not as a daily rider. Luckily a frend rides for them & I can take one for a spin every now and again.
Old     (ynot)      Join Date: Jan 2007       12-13-2007, 12:44 PM Reply   
I am one of those people who think the Marius is the best board ever made. The reason i think that is because I like a loose feeling board, that if you maybe don't get all the way around on a spin or roll to switch it can save you without a face plant. It does take time getting used to the loose feel of the board but once you get the hang of it you will find that on any you board control has improved a ton. The board lands super soft which is what had me liking from the get go. It is also a board you have full control over. If you want to go out into the flats it does it, if you want to go wake to wake, just as easy. Basically I think this board is all that and some.
Now it being a long time ago that i rode the Absolute, it is a very good board as well. The learning curve on this one is quite a bit simpler because of the bigger sized molded fins. It make cutting easier right off the bat but unlike the Marius it does not teach you to take full advantage of the edges of your board. In my opinion it does not land as soft as the Marius but the landing are super soft compared to boards similar to the Absolute. The board to me is more of a wake to wake board but if you want it can go into the flats.
All in all it is really up to you. what I'm trying to do is give you my incite of the boards and what they have done for me. Hope this helps.

TC