Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 21, 2007

Old     (cboom12)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-03-2007, 12:56 AM Reply   
I just relocated to pinole from Sacramento. I know there are riders out here, I just wanted to know where every one rides. Kind of looking for some spots somewhat close to home.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       02-03-2007, 7:33 PM Reply   
Calero in San Jose is where it's at! Sometimes Lake Anderson in Morgan Hill, but only on weekends.
Old     (wakekid11)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-05-2007, 11:38 AM Reply   
Sac = Delta
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-05-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
i been to anderson and it is cool but getting your boat out of the water at the end of the day takes forever due to the mass amounts of people trying to get there boats out. Never been to calero but i hear they only let a very minimal number of people on the lake. Not sure can anyone tell me about calero because i hear you can camp there. can you leave your boat in the water while camping there? As for where i ride the delta alot and i think sanjose would be a little far for you as the delta is closer. If i lived in pinole i would probably go to lake berryessa.
Old    walt            02-06-2007, 5:33 AM Reply   
The best place to go if you live in Pinole would be the Delta hands down.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-06-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
I would avoid anderson, it's always windy, crowded. I would go to Calero, its awesome. Most people around here go to the delta, though I dont see what all the fuss is about.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-06-2007, 8:28 AM Reply   
wow....people who actually live in the Anderson/Calero area failed to pick up on Scott's sarcasm. Priceless.....

Rick, you can't camp at Calero. But, you can camp and keep your boat in the water at Coyote in Gilroy.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-06-2007, 8:40 AM Reply   
While I cannot smell the sarcasm, I really hope your joking Hype.

Calero and Anderson are a last resort when given the option of the delta.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-06-2007, 9:08 AM Reply   
The times i've been to the delta The conditions have not been any better than anderson in the morning. The water is nasty! and all of the boats on the delta make me very nervous. So I will take a few rollers over the idiots on the delta and the nasty water.

oh and I live 30 min from anderson and 1.5 hours from the delta.

(Message edited by hyperlitenrd on February 06, 2007)
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2007, 9:33 AM Reply   
Wow. If the Delta didn't hook you after one visit, I won't try to convince you.

I pretty much dislike lakes, unless I go with the expectation that the wakeboarding quality will suck. For years I got up early to get the good water at the lake. Now I sleep in and ride the Delta.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       02-06-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
hell....from my front doorstep to the launchramp at Anderson is less than 5 minutes, and i'd rather ride the delta any day of the week.

The only time of year I ride at Anderson is right now. As soon as spring hits, my boat will only see the water at Anderson if we're in town on a weekend afternoon with nothing to do. We'll go back behind the bridge, tie up with some friends and let the kids swim....
Other than that, Anderson and Calero both blow.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-06-2007, 9:45 AM Reply   
We go just about every weekend, including this last one. In the summer we only had 2 days when it was blown out in the AM. The rest of the time, we all get our wake boarding done before 11, do some surfing eat lunch and bug out.

If we have a lot of people coming then we head out to don pedro or mc clure for a weekend.

I dont mind getting up early to get some good water. Lake or Delta, the later it is the more idiots there are on the water, thats what I try to avoid.
Old     (parkgirl)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-06-2007, 9:54 AM Reply   
I completely agree with J-rod!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-06-2007, 10:35 AM Reply   
Yeah, I've been to Calero and Anderson a few times. I don't think I've ever gotten good water at either place. That's at night after work, too. That and it's way too easy to piss off the Rangers if you don't get the boat out before sunset.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       02-06-2007, 11:14 AM Reply   
Go to Calero if you have a row boat, after about 10 rows you'll be at the other end.

Go to Anderson if you have a sail boat. Only place to get decent water there is behind the bridge and risk the $300+ ticket youll get.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-06-2007, 11:58 AM Reply   
Chris:

Sacramento to Pinole is not that far of a relocation. Where did you ride before?

The Delta is really your only reasonable choice. And personally, I think it is a great choice! I hate lakes, always getting wakes from boats that you can't even see anymore. Holiday weekends on the Delta can get crazy, but otherwise you can almost always find decent water somewhere.

From Pinole you basically will just shoot out highway 4, past Antioch and on to Orwood. Should be a 45 minute drive for you.
Old    walt            02-06-2007, 1:11 PM Reply   
After the Delta Berryessa would be the closest place to ride.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-06-2007, 1:50 PM Reply   
i've never had any luck riding anderson, in the a.m., weekday or otherwise. it was always crap.

and out of thousands of times i've been to the delta, i can count on 1 hand the times it was crappy.

(Message edited by dakid on February 06, 2007)
Old     (aquahawk)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-06-2007, 2:48 PM Reply   
anderson = pond, enough to putt around in
delta = scrub boat, rinse and repeat (WATCHOUT!)
berryessa = can be rough, unless around big isle
don pedro = nice, can be busy
mcclure = quiet, glass, not a lot of heads (ramp)
mcswain = see above
coyote = bass fish and drink, repeat
bass lake = jetski, boats get hammered, not wide

Just my opinions of course.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-06-2007, 9:19 PM Reply   
im always looking for more places and honestly the delta is the best day trip because you can always find some slough with nice glassy water. I hear sonoma lake is nice anyone know about that. I am looking for a place i can boat to my campsite and go out at the crack of dawn before anyone else and get some nice glassy conditions
Old    walt            02-07-2007, 5:37 AM Reply   
Lake Sonoma has great boat in camp sites. You can reserve sites on-line too. Keep in mind If your bringing kids and pets that Sonoma is infested with rattle snakes. I saw six in one weekend there and was almost bitten by a baby rattle snake.

As far as the water goes it sucks unless you get up early. There are only two areas to ride in and the rest is closed for fishing. One of the areas is very small so two or three boats wrecks the water. The other side is bigger but windy most of the time.

It's a cool lake in the winter or during the week but on the weekends it's Wally central.

IMO Sonoma is one of the most dangerous lakes around on weekends.

I ride just about every week and live really close to Sonoma and haven't gone there in about a year so that should let you know what I think of it.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-07-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
Any other ideas of good boat in places? how is oroville and new hogan?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-07-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
Hogans is great for a small lake. Awesome scenery in the back when you just want to chill.

I love Oroville. One of my favorites for houseboating.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       02-07-2007, 9:09 AM Reply   
^oroville rocks.
Old    walt            02-07-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
I agree that Oroville rocks.
Old     (mkperceptions)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-08-2007, 11:14 PM Reply   
this post definately deserves a BUMP