Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old    newc048            08-10-2011, 1:03 PM Reply   
Hey guys, looking to get some opinions on my idea i have. As most people without towers/racks know how annoying it is to have boards taking up space on the floor of your boats is, I'm looking for alternatives to a tower with racks on it as right now the tower i want is unfortunately not in the budget til this winter. So I've come up with this idea after some research-

I want to buy this rack - http://cgi.ebay.com/Quick-Release-RA...#ht_500wt_1202

and place it on the grab rails on my boat -

I want to place it on the rail right next to the "186 Captiva" sticker, it can be on either side. My only concern is trying to get opinions on if you guys think those bars are strong enough to hold the weight of the rack and two boards? They would be either completely vertical or slanted out slightly (the boards/rack i mean) so there shouldnt be a ton of pull downward on the bar. I was also trying to think of some sort of extra support off the board rack so not all the weight is being taken by the grab rail on the boat.

Anyone have any opinions or suggestions?

Thanks so much!!
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       08-10-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
The rack looks ok but the mount seems a little chintzy. I'm sure you could make it work, but if you plan on putting a tower on this winter when you have the budget, I would just suck up the inconvenience of having your boards on the floor now and next year you'll have a tower & racks and be good to go. Its not like you could or would want to use the same racks on your tower when you do get it, so kind of seems like a waste of $300 for the next few months of your boating season.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       08-10-2011, 1:09 PM Reply   
Take a look at these.. Might work for ya...

http://www.liquidcouragewatersports....2/Default.aspx
Old    newc048            08-10-2011, 1:44 PM Reply   
Stuey, I was only planning on buying one rack, so it would be able $150 after shipping. I'm on the fence, i figure i would be able to sell it next year on craigslist or something similar for maybe 50-75 bucks, so it wouldn't be a complete waste in my opinion.

Brett- I have looked into the LCW racks but to put one on my boat I would need to drill my boat to put a new cleat on and the rack itself is 400, by the time i got it all said and done i would have close to $500 in it and i could buy one of the lower-priced towers on the market for that.
Old     (liljohn)      Join Date: May 2007       08-10-2011, 2:46 PM Reply   
take a look at these. at least they have multiple attachments..

http://www.bakesonline.com/Tallon/
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-10-2011, 2:48 PM Reply   
Wow, I haven't heard anyone talk about this product for years. We used to have a railing mount rack when I worked for Wakeside and it sucked. It was hard to get it tight enough to not slide down and hit your boat when you had it loaded with boards.

In my opinion it is not worth your time. You might be able to mount a bar on the deck and use a standard rack with a bigger clamp. We also sold a deck mount rack for a while but by 2005 -2006 everyone had wakeboard towers and the manufacturer went out of business.
Old    newc048            08-12-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys, i think I'm just going to hold off til I can afford a tower after this season and just deal with the boards on the floor for now. I appreciate all the opinions though!