Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-10-2009, 9:34 PM Reply   
Picked up my trailer today. 28 day turnaround for a complete teardown and rebuild, new wheels, winch, LED's, jack, brakes, powdercoat, blah, blah, blah.

Excellent service and quality.

Shadow trailers in Cypress, CA.
Old     (jclay5)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-11-2009, 9:04 AM Reply   
We need pics
Old     (saceone)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-11-2009, 9:37 PM Reply   
^^ditto
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-12-2009, 7:21 PM Reply   
I'll see what I can do this week. I have a hard time putting pics on Wakeworld for some reason. It always says they're too big even after I've shrunk them down.
Old     (jixxxer)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-13-2009, 7:14 AM Reply   
Price? Thinking of having something like that done to mine.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-14-2009, 9:22 AM Reply   
Here's what I got;

New Fulton XL winch
New Fulton XL jack
New fenders
New diamond plate on fender mounts/steps
New LED lights all around + two more ambers towards the front.
New rear ratchet tiedowns
New chrome aluminum wheels (my tires are new so no low profile)
New bunks and carpet
New carpeted fender skirts
New back-up solinoid for brakes
New Licence plate light
New wiring
All new hardware (bolts, nuts, etc..)
Brakes/bearings rebuilt
Sandblasted to bare, zinc rich primer, black powder coating

$4500.00. A lot of money yes, but a brand new trailer, with what is now on mine, is very pricey. Keep in mind, if you don't add all the new wheels, jack, lights, winch, fenders, etc... and use your old stuff, the price goes down.

I suck at trying to post photos here so if you want to see some email me @ roholladay@verizon.net and I'll shoot you a few (after I take them this weekend).

(Message edited by wstr01 on April 14, 2009)
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-14-2009, 10:48 AM Reply   
HOLY CHIT - $4500? hate to break this to you knee brace but two years ago I did everything in your list to my trailer, except new wheels and I spent $960... Did they break the price down for you for each item on that list?

GEEZ Hope they bought you dinner first!
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-14-2009, 11:01 AM Reply   
KStateAlumni,
How did you powder coat your trailer and do the other stuff for $960? You might have painted it, but I doubt you powder coated it. I also doubt that you replaced everything. Lets see your cost breakdown.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-14-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
No actually Sam I DID in fact have it powder coated. Rogers Manufacturing in Olathe, KS powder coated my entire trailer with sandblasting for $401 including tax. Granted I took it there prepped and ready to go, all they had to do was remove the tires and tape the bearings. Hold on I'll see if I can dig up the cost breakdown I did for TeamTalk.

Upload
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-14-2009, 11:29 AM Reply   
powder coat is cheaper than paint, at least in the midwest...
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-14-2009, 11:47 AM Reply   
OK Sam found my thread from awhile back showing before and after pics along with a price break down. in all fairness I guess my price breakdown here showed $841. But that does not include $153 for new spring packs and shackles installed by me + $88.00 for new bearings/races and I reused the bearing buddies as they were still almost new. Guess that puts me at $1082.00 a far cry from $4500. Had I put new tires and wheels on here I probably would have/could have spent another $500 easily.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/326608.html?1148579490#POST673285

Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-14-2009, 12:10 PM Reply   
Guess I could have drove to the midwest..........

Yes I have a breakdown on all costs. Zinc rich primer (maybe you skipped that part on yours) and powdercoat was more than yours by a long shot but I can't quote right now cause I don't have it with me. Labor was also costley. Could I have done it myself? Probably, if I wanted to leave my boat in the water for a month and deal with rebuilding the trailer while also working on my two daughters houses at the same time. Wasn't gonna happen and I was running out of time before the season. I may be mistaken, but I'm sure California enviromental laws probably have something to do with the cost of blasting/priming/powdercoat.

You should move to California and open a trailer rebuild business.....You'd make a killin'

(Message edited by wstr01 on April 14, 2009)
Old     (wakeboardsam)      Join Date: Jun 2008       04-14-2009, 12:41 PM Reply   
It also looks like you have the same fenders KStateAlumni. Knee Brace Boy's rebuild includes new fenders among other things...
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-14-2009, 12:49 PM Reply   
I bought a new Boatmate tandem trailer 4 wheel disk and all the options for not much more.
I had to pick it up in Tenn but well worth it.

[IMG]http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn127/suprahunter/mypics003.jpg[/IMG]
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-14-2009, 4:57 PM Reply   
Well i did my single axle from the old Tigé a couple years ago totally myself for around $1000. Everything was removed from the trailer and thrown away, all new axle, UFP disc brakes, bearing buddies and actuator, wire harness was purchased from DHM in Sacramento. New fulton winch, strap, bow roller from Overton's and LED lights from ebay. Bunk carpet & wood from Home Depot. Boat was dropped into a slip on Friday and the trailer was blasted, painted and rebuilt by Sunday night, reloaded on Monday morning.
Old    mendo247            04-14-2009, 9:00 PM Reply   
I I I thats the key word. He didnt do his. Maybe he sat and drank beer at home while watching the game. Or maybe he spent some quality time with his family. Or maybe he was working, making more money than it was worth for him to take the time out of his schedule to do it himself. There is something to be said about not lifting a finger lol.. I really dont think that is a bad price at all. I charge 1500-2000 just to stip and paint a trailer.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-15-2009, 4:42 AM Reply   
Richard is right - he dropped it off old and picked it up new. Sorry I guess I came across a bit rude. I only meant that I was shocked by the price to have all that done. I couldn't fit the bill for something like that so I did it myself, and I enjoy doing stuff like that. Either way both trailers turned out nice.

Sam you are right my fenders are the same, I just refiberglassed them and repainted them.

I noticed paint was more costly than sandblast + powdercoat when I was pricing my trailer back then. Why is that?

KneeBrace what does the Zine Rich primer do?

Post some pics!
Old     (mhunter)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-15-2009, 6:03 AM Reply   
Richard
All III am saying is he could have bought a new trailer for the same or less than he paid to rebuild the old one. And he still has an old trailer with old style equipment[brakes,suspension,etc] I'm not saying the work done was overpriced. Its kinda like repairing a TV or appliance most of the time its not cost effective.
Old     (wstr01)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-15-2009, 9:21 AM Reply   
As I wrote in my previous post, I didn't have the time to do it myself. I could have, but again, I've been working on my daughters houses (never let your kids buy houses at the same time) and was just running out of winter. I could have paid someone to work on the houses and dealt with the contractor everyday (and mad women) or pay someone to rebuild my trailer and forget about it for a month. I went with the latter. For me, this was the best choice.

The primer gets into the very small knooks and crannies that the powder MAY not get into because the particles are larger. It's just an extra added protection deal. Figured while it was down I may as well go all out.

Michael, Old style brakes and suspension? The trailer you purchased has something better than disc brakes (I assume you have torsion axles)? Other than those two items, everything is brand new and up to date. I checked Boatmates webpage. They really didn't say anything about the suspension. They look like great trailers however I didn't see anything about powder coating, only a two part spray paint?
Old     (jimr)      Join Date: Sep 2001       04-15-2009, 9:25 AM Reply   
Knee Brace - Are you happy with the trailer? Was it worth it to you?

.... 'nuf said!