Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 26, 2009

Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       04-09-2009, 8:18 AM Reply   
What are people doing to mount the mic of the WS420EQ? Mine has a clip, I'm assuming that's the same for them all. I haven't used the boat yet (mid-install), but it seems that the stock clip won't be the cleanest thing and there aren't too many good places to clip it and get it on/off super easily.

I was thinking it would be cool if the mic had a "button" and then you had a "slide" type mount in a convenient place in the boat. Then the mic just drops into the slide. I think I've seen this on some CB radios back in the day.

Anybody doing that? Not sure if the stock mic mount can be removed and replaced with this style. What do you guys think?
Old     (warwagon)      Join Date: Jan 2009       04-09-2009, 9:00 AM Reply   
draped over my steering wheel
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-09-2009, 9:14 AM Reply   
i went to west marine and bought a cb style mic clip, but haven't installed it yet. at first glance, i wasn't able to figure out exactly how to get the spring tensioned clip off the mic itself. it appears to be rivoted in place. right now, it's just cliped onto my sub box false wall under the dash.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       04-09-2009, 9:58 PM Reply   
Bruce, let me know if that works for you. Kind of a random thing, so not sure what to buy and if it will fit!

Josh, I don't know about draped over the steering wheel man!! Looking for something cleaner than that.
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-10-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   
It'll look real clean when he takes it out and there's not any holes left from when he drilled in a couple screws for a mount.

Mine's draped over the wheel too. Works perfect.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-10-2009, 6:17 AM Reply   
I clip mine to my board short while I am driving. Looking for a better idea
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-10-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
I normally clip mine on the cup holder behind the driver seat or just sit it on my lap when driving
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-10-2009, 7:00 AM Reply   
john, it's got sticky tape, but thanks for the confidence.
Old    pdxWAKE.com            04-10-2009, 7:01 AM Reply   
Danny,
Just installed ours and had the same question and we found the perfect thing. You know the little strap that holds your battery boxes down in your boat? Well, the little screw down bracket that the strap goes through is totally perfect. I just mounted that little bracket on the wall below the EQ and it is easy to snap in and out.

I am trying to find a pic of the little bracket on the internet, but no luck. Hopefully you know what I am talking about. If you have ever fiddled with your battery boxes you probably do.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       04-10-2009, 7:56 AM Reply   
John: Yeah I never said I was going to drill anything in. I definitely don't particularly like holes when I inevitably change something in the future or sell the boat. I would go the sticky tape route if at all possible. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what is meant by "draped over the wheel". Wouldn't that get kinda twisted up when you turn and stuff? Just sounds hokey I guess.

Diggs: Yeah I know exactly what you are talking about. I just happen to have an extra one of those from the old battery box. I could also make something similar but fancier out of stainless steel sheet metal and screw it into my sub box false wall so the screw holes are no issue. Only thing with these ideas is that they still requires me to clip it to the holddown. It would be cool and I would feel like a kick-a$$ semi-truck driver if I could drop it into a slot! Haha!! Just not sure if the mic can be adapted to that style.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       04-10-2009, 8:11 AM Reply   
Kinda like this:

Upload

But the mic would need the corresponding round button. Not sure if that can be done without really screwing the mic up and looking like crap. The stock bracket is screwed on there nicely...not sure it that is a standard type of thing or not.
Old     (brucemac)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-10-2009, 8:33 AM Reply   
yeah, it doesn't look like the clip comes off of the mic. it's like it's riveted on. tyler's idea sounds good.
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-10-2009, 10:09 AM Reply   
Diggs,
Is this something like you're talking about?

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/113915/377%20710%201643/0/Battery%20Accessories/Primary%20Search/mode%20matchallpartial/0/0?N=377%20710%201643&Ne=0&Ntt=Battery%20Accessorie s&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&page=CategoryDisplayL evel1&isLTokenURL=true&storeNum=5002&subdeptNum=9& classNum=208
Old    pdxWAKE.com            04-10-2009, 10:27 AM Reply   
Wakemania

Yeah the two little black things next to the strap work perfectly for it. Good work finding a pic....
Old     (jonyb)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-10-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
Normally mine is clipped back to the coiled wire, but here it's dangling just like i mentioned.

If you guys start using the clip shown above with double-sided tape, it won't last long. I do police car installs too, and those clips hold the mic very tight. First time you go to grab the mic, the holder comes right with it.

Mines been like that for 2 years and I've looked for better methods, but honestly for the use it gets, that is perfect.

Upload