Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-23-2009, 6:53 PM Reply   
I was up on the northern california coast today and the state has shut down 99 percent of the beachs and camping.Blows my mind,you cant even go to alot of surf spots, and nice beachs now.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-23-2009, 7:04 PM Reply   
Financial issues for California?
Old    surfdad            11-23-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
The budget crisis is crazy here in California. They are scraping the barrel to generate revenue - withholding taxes have been increased by 15% - not an increase in tax which would require voter approval, just in the amount that is withheld from employees - short term interest free loan in effect. They've also registered every business in California with the sales tax authority (State Board of Equalization) service businesses, noon-profits - entities that don't collect sales tax because they don't sell product. Each of those new registered companies have to file sales tax returns for the last two calendar years and report "use" tax for any product they have purchased and used without paying sales tax - basically anything purchased online and out of state sans sales tax. Huge levels of compliance stuff going on to raise tax dollars.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-24-2009, 6:16 AM Reply   
I blame the mexicans.......
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-24-2009, 7:55 AM Reply   
Yeah we had Ranger Rick at our local state park where we have been riding mountain bikes once or twice a week for twenty years without a problem, and he threatened to give us each $400.00 dollar fines for riding after sunset.
There were about 20 of us, so that would have made his day. Said he had orders to start enforcing all park regulations.

Gave us a warning, and said if he catches us again...
Old     (taft)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-24-2009, 11:03 AM Reply   
How do you have a beach closed on you? I don't understand that, outside of health concerns.

You can't just walk on?
Old    surfdad            11-24-2009, 1:12 PM Reply   
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/richmond/detail?entry_id=46083

I loved this lady's response to that question. :-) Ahhhhhnold on the beach - "I'll be back". :-)

The question on everyone's mind seems to be, "How do you close a beach?" One imagines giant tractors hauling away the sand, or armed guards standing sentry at the shoreline. I'll admit I've entertained visions of Schwarzenegger himself stomping on toddlers' sandcastles.

The reality is far less dramatic. "There will be nobody to clean the restrooms and haul away the trash," Stearns says. "Parking lots may be barricaded." But people will still be able to walk in and out of the parks, just as they've always done.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-24-2009, 6:11 PM Reply   
its trespassing if you go on the beach,that why you cant go to the beach.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-24-2009, 6:16 PM Reply   
yeah up here on the coast, the ranger said you will get a fine and if you do it a couple of times you can end up get arrested.I talked to the sheriff about it ,and its because like jeff said if they let everyone still go down on the beach it will get trashed and no one will clean it up, so no one can go down.
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-24-2009, 8:07 PM Reply   
i just did a little research and the ones closed will be reopening after june 30 2010, they closed nov 1 temporarily due to money
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-24-2009, 9:40 PM Reply   
Thats wild! We just recently had a proposition trying to close the Texas Open Beaches act. We beat it and kept them open. Some lawyer from California was the biggest advocate for closing our beaches. It just blew my mind that some lawyer not anywhere even close to us was all for shutting down our public beach access that we have. And in many spots, it doesn't even exist as is. It would have been a huge blow for all of us, especially the surfers and fishermen. That really sucks for you guys. I hope that things get resolved sooner than later for yall!
Old     (wofrankwo)      Join Date: Jul 2009       11-24-2009, 9:47 PM Reply   
from what i read the beaches they closed were all on the north coast centering at the mouth of the russian river .... far enough away from the mainstream to be able to get away with it .... temporary budget measure .... unbelievable especially if they wont let you down on the beach
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-24-2009, 11:18 PM Reply   
yeah it sucks because that where some of the best waves are, that I grew up surfing.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-25-2009, 6:33 AM Reply   
Ohio dropped having trash dumpsters and cut back on staff at our state park.

There's now a 'clean up after yourself' policy---which is fine and everyone seems to adhere to it. While we wipe down the boat we have the kids hunt down any trash, I mean treasure possibly. ha ha.
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-25-2009, 8:03 AM Reply   
My daughter lives in Forrestville along the Russian, minutes from the beach. She says the locals all know the rangers and cops and still go but they also police the trash on the beaches themselves, it's the visitors that trash everything.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-25-2009, 8:56 AM Reply   
yeah I live right near bodega,but the good surf spots are up the coast.You will still get in trouble my frinds are the life guards up there and the rangers,Ive been surfing up here 25 years and have never seen it like this,theyve already messed with a few people and not out of towners, locals.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-25-2009, 9:45 AM Reply   
hey razzman ,does your daughter surf,if she does im sure I know her its a small community of surfers up here.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       11-25-2009, 10:24 AM Reply   
It's kindof tough to find,but on the CalGov site thay have a whole list ofthe closings.

Good thing my taxes aren't going for state parks and beaches anymore,so illegals can get free health care,meals and an education at school,clog up Emergency rooms with daily doctor stuff since they have no insurance(yeah we pay for that too!)WIC,welfare,low income housing,etc...

Man,is it hot in here,or just me?
Old     (razzman)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-25-2009, 12:02 PM Reply   
James no she doesn't, she's like her mother. Unless the water's at least 80 she's not going in! I did years ago, grew up in Newport Beach, Laguna & Corona Del Mar. Lived literally right on the beach in Crystal Cove for years, now it's a state park ... go figure. It was quite a sight, half a dozen boards lined up against the house, 100 feet to the surf. When i went into the service i quit, now i'm too old and busted up to do those things anymore, sucks getting old!
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-25-2009, 2:00 PM Reply   
yeah razz thats how my wife is she wont surf unless the waters 80 to.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       11-25-2009, 5:13 PM Reply   
More bad news for the west coast guys... I just hear that the air in California has just been closed. Exhaling is still permitted just don’t inhale. Just look up Bill Clinton, apparently he knows how to not inhale.
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-25-2009, 5:58 PM Reply   
thats funny show.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-25-2009, 7:40 PM Reply   
That is crazy, close the beach? Would never fly down these ways. Feel free to head to NZ for Summer, we'll order in some extra waves for you
Old     (jdjjamesz)      Join Date: Mar 2008       11-25-2009, 8:00 PM Reply   
sounds good to me.