Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through May 13, 2004

Old     (hotlanta)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-06-2004, 12:55 PM Reply   
Sounds like everyone loves these. I'm replacing my stock 6.5" Clarion tower speakers and had a few quick questions...

Do MB Quarts really sound THAT MUCH better?
(Clarion's blow... any mids whatsoever sound terrible)

Which 6.5" MB Quart model is best to go with?

Are they marine grade? If not, could it cause any problems?

Thanks. Jeremy
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-06-2004, 1:21 PM Reply   
"Do MB Quarts really sound THAT MUCH better?"

Yes.

Note, though.. the speakers are a different diameter (bigger) than most 6.5" speakers out there. They won't fit in the same holes as your Clarion's.
Old    wakeboard_iraq            04-06-2004, 1:25 PM Reply   
MB Quartz speakers are great.
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-06-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
Mb quart are very good, but depends on the model you get. I would look at their website. Their discus series are not that great compared to other high end brands. Their reference series and Q series are fantastic. For the money, and for a boat I would go with the Reference Series. The Qs sound fantastic, but may be overkill for a boat. Reference series are great for the price.
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       04-06-2004, 1:44 PM Reply   
MB Quarts rock. The discus series is the bottom of the line still very good (I have four 6x9's on the tower), the next step up is the reference series (I have four 6.5" in the hull and am very happy with their performance) from there up are the premium and Q series. All of these are very good, I would say the reference series is the best bang for the buck in the MB line. IMO the MB reference for the hull are a good choice and Discus or Reference for the tower. The reason I chose the Discus for the tower is the exposure to the elements and the increased likelyhood that they might get stolen. This is my second season with the tower speakers and they still rock like the day I got them. I docked the boat at the lake with the tower speakers uncovered from May - October last year and haven't had any problems with them.
Old     (hotlanta)      Join Date: Jun 2003       04-06-2004, 3:02 PM Reply   
Do the 6.5" reference series crank both highs and mids 50 to 70 feet back, or is it pretty much just treble?

Also, Cal, the 6.5" MBs won't fit the typical 6.5" can??? How can I check to make sure they will or won't fit?

Thanks.
Old    obsurfer            04-06-2004, 3:26 PM Reply   
I have the 502 and boss replaced them when I blew them out. They sound great but if they blow out again I'm gonna get the infinity Kappa's because I well push'em alot to get volume. Definently get the 6.5's if you can. Check out the kappas you can find them on sale (cruchfield)and they handle more. Mb well only cover them if a pro installs them.
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       04-06-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
Re: will they fit...

My pair a larger mounting diameter than other 6.5" speakers. You can probably find dimensional specs from mb quart's website, or an ebay listing for the exact model. I think that different MB models actually have different diameters.

So I know that mine wouldn't fit, I have the Nautic Q marine series...and the mounting diameter is larger. The same as those big, white Pioneer Marine speakers. But I do think the basket size varies by model. Just check dimensions.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       04-06-2004, 5:26 PM Reply   
I have Boss b530s and the speakers sound awsome...
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-06-2004, 8:30 PM Reply   
Basket size does vary from model to model. Also, if you get a chance I would listen to FOCAL brand speakers. I did a side by side comparison and found them to have a much better sound then the MB quart referance (same price as Focals I purchased) The Focals hit the mids much harder and clearer. They also had much better seperation of the all around ranges.
Old    stevenf            04-06-2004, 8:48 PM Reply   
for those of you who have replaced the stock clarions in your boats i bought the nautic series 6.5s to replace mine and they are bigger how did you go about doing so did you cut vinal and fiberglass or did the mount right in? they come with a diagram so.. help a brother out here damn
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       04-07-2004, 9:14 AM Reply   
My boat had no stereo when I got it so I had to cut all of the holes (no stock speaker cutouts).

Jeremy, I have the 6x9's on my tower and ther is a little midrage at 70 ft but I would say mostly treble. I'm replacing my 6x9 box soon with 4 - 6" pro audio woofers and 2 - Horn Loaded Compression Drivers, I'm hoping that will deliver a fuller sound with a little more volume.
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-07-2004, 10:54 AM Reply   
My entire boat is mb quart. From the tower speakers (b-530's and b-50's) to the interior speakers to the subwoofers. They rock very hard and I am very glad I went with them. They are a bit more expensive but worth every cent.
Old     (goodtime)      Join Date: Sep 2002       04-08-2004, 2:26 PM Reply   
YES they are worth the $$
Old     (mhsb1029)      Join Date: Jan 2004       04-08-2004, 4:08 PM Reply   
I gave mb quart a call today to ask them if the PCE216's would fit in the clarion cans that I described to them and they told my that they would. Yesterday I went out to my mc dealer and measured the inside diameter of the speaker can (our boat will be here in a month) and also the part that holds the tweeter and the speaker can was 6 5/8 inches and the diameter of the inside of the tweeter part was 1 5/8 inches. I also asked them if the 1 inch tweeter would fit into the 1 5/8 hole. They told me that the tweeter will come with different cups and one of them would work for that size. Do any of you see a problem with just replacing my 4 tower speakers with mb-quarts and then just keeping the 6 in boat clarions in the boat?
Old    maverick_gear            04-08-2004, 11:12 PM Reply   
I just picked up 10 MB Quarts in my Enzo and they are freekin amazing they are loud clear and full i love them!!