Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-08-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
So on my NEW (only 4 months old) SS X-Star I was taking the carpets out to clean them and about a 1/3 of the friggin snaps broke! I couldn't believe that Mastercraft used such junky snaps on a Saltwater Series or any other boat. I could understand these failing after a few good years of use but not after a few months. No Bueno!

My question is... what is the best way to repair busted carpet snaps? Can I do it myself? What are the best replacements and do you need any special tools? Or should I just bring it back to the dealership?

Thanks!
Old    mojo            10-08-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
i'm not sure about fixing them, but since it's under warranty i'd make your dealership do it if it's not a huge pain to get there. make em pay for poor craftsmanship. did the snaps break on the carpet or pull out of the floor?
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-08-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
I agree. Thinking the dealership route is best option. I need a service on her anyway. I have put 125 hours on it already! haha

The snaps popped on the carpet. The floor connections are solid.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-09-2010, 6:55 AM Reply   
Same thing happened to my Nautique. It's the crappy factory snap in carpet thats the problem. This year I upgraded to a Corinthian carpet kit and it was a huge upgrade to the boat. Before that I got a little snap kit with a dozen or so stainless steel snaps and just started replacing the snaps myself as it seems like one or two would pop everytime I pulled the carpets. I also got in the habit of using a little putty knife to pop them free rather than just jerking up on the carpet.
Old     (brit_rider)      Join Date: May 2004       10-10-2010, 10:31 AM Reply   
Sidenote - a little vaseline on the snaps (particularly for us salt boaters) is a great way of curbing this problem.

I've not had a carpet snap fail in almost 4 years now... including my snap-on cover.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-10-2010, 11:28 AM Reply   
You can buy a button kit at most hardware or some automotive stores. Piece of cake to do and they are typically higher quality than oem.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       10-10-2010, 12:50 PM Reply   
dealer
Old     (nautiquesonly)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-10-2010, 4:28 PM Reply   
Does the corinthian carpet smell bad like stock nautique carpets. I always pull mine to make sure they dry but the rubber backing smell like crap.
Old     (trio)      Join Date: Jan 2010       10-10-2010, 11:15 PM Reply   
No bad smell but the boat is only a few months old.

Great tip on the button kit and the vaseline! I will try that for sure when they get replaced. You would think the friggin dealer would give you a couple of tips when buying a $90K boat! It's ridiculous.
Old    mojo            10-11-2010, 2:45 AM Reply   
i guess when you're buying a performance machine you expect price to be high, but that's a 911 targa right there. hard to comprehend for me.
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       10-11-2010, 6:25 AM Reply   
I only fasten a few of the snaps and everything stays in place. Less chance of snaps pulling through. I never tow without a cover, so not an issue. I'm wondering if a canvas shop could iron or sew in a reinforcement patch and crimp the new snaps to that.
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-11-2010, 6:53 AM Reply   
nice boat! too bad you can't work the snaps
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-11-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Same thing happened to my x-15 ss 2008., The first time i took the carpet our half the snaps ripped out. Got them reaplaced under warranty and same thing again. Go tthem fixed and never put the carpet back in. I hear a snap puller works wonders though. Overtons has them. And as mentioned above vaseline works well
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       10-11-2010, 9:21 AM Reply   
I've never had an issue with my snaps... now like any mass produced item maybe there was a bad batch?

Take it to the dealer...I am sure they will take care of you
Old     (justsan)      Join Date: May 2009       10-11-2010, 11:00 AM Reply   
07 SAN -my carpet snaps pulled out as well, common problem for a few of my buddies too.

I pulled all of my carpets out -much easier to clean at the end of the day as well.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-11-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
The last snap-on cover & carpet on a boat made me swear to never have snaps on a boat, ever. I had numerous issues with them. And still have friends who swear by their snap-on cover or carpet... then have problems with them a week later.
I will forever walk away from any boat deal if it has snaps on it.