Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through March 19, 2004

Old    stormrider            03-01-2004, 10:06 AM Reply   
I'm trying to identify weight training goals, i.e. how much I need to be able to pull consistently in order to be "in shape" for intermediate wakeboarding:

I'm 160lbs riding a 140cm board being pulled by a boat going 22mph. If I pull the handle to my waist, how much "weight" in pounds am I pulling back? Seems to me to be between 80-90.

If I cut into the wake, handle in, max edge, how much "weight" in pounds am I pulling back? Seems to be about 160.

If I release off the wake, how much weight in pounds am I pulling back if I keep the handle in at my waist and pull off some grab or another? Seems to me like the back half of a "tower" high jump requires about 160-180 pounds of pull back in order to keep the handle in and body positioning correct.

Raleys? Some incredible amount. Don't even wanna go there.

Anybody ever done or heard about or familiar with these calcs? Strange question, I know, but just thought I'd raise it to see if anybody had anything on this.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       03-01-2004, 10:08 AM Reply   
Actually it should feel fairly effortless with the right progression and timing, but maybe that is just me.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       03-01-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
I guess the weight and effort would come from your back and your legs, not so much from your arms, which is why I said that.
Old    veganx            03-01-2004, 10:15 AM Reply   
I've thought about this on the slalom side. I think the easiest way to get an accurate measurement would be to hook a hanging scale to the rope near the tower, then have someone in the boat take readings.
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       03-01-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
Are you talking about how much weight the rider is pulling on the boat or how much weight the rider is pulling in with their arms as they cut into the wake?
Old    stormrider            03-01-2004, 11:05 AM Reply   
Hey, Sean: Advanced riders like you that make it look so effortless (yes, I'm jealous!) shouldn't be able to comment!

AS for your question, I'm not exactly sure. When you cut in you are pulling back with a combination of your legs and arms, typically. True some people flatten the whole way in with their arms extended, but I'm talking more intermediate level of riding.

When I cut in, with the handle in (so I can keep my shoulders back), I am pulling back with my legs and arms. In the air, in order to keep the handle in I am pulling back with one or both arms cuz handle out usually means trouble. My focus now is on how much of the cut in force I am pulling back, in pounds, with my arms.

Responding to one of your earlier posts, can you advance enough toward the boat when you leave the wake that you create slack and can then pass the handle, rotate or both with minimal pulling back with one or both arms? I've seen the rope go slack with some riders, but can't do that myself!
Old     (canaday)      Join Date: Dec 2002 Location: Hawthorne       03-01-2004, 11:54 AM Reply   
I guess I was thinking that you shouldn't have to pull yourself back into the handle once you leave the wake, unless you are doing something that requires moving your body around in the air.
Old     (jeffr)      Join Date: May 2002       03-02-2004, 10:47 AM Reply   
Wow. Sounds way too much like a physics test question.

Short answer… yes weight training is a great idea. The actual weight you use will be different depending on what type of machines or free weights that you use. I don’t think that lifting X translates to a certain level of riding fitness or ability level.

Yes working out and lifting helps… but real riding fitness only comes from more riding.

Depending on water conditions, wake shape, your riding technique, and angle into the wake… way too many variables to even get into the calculations on the ‘force’ you are applying to keeping the handle at your waist off the waist.

Goal should be to work out consistently every week…. See some progress in your fitness and strength…. And get out on the lake ASAP. Oh yeah… and help prevent injuries when you do crash.