Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-18-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
I saw on the DIY Towers web site someone had made some basic 6" speaker housings out of some 6" PVC pipe. The pic they showed looked pretty good and clean. Most importantly it is cheap.

Has anyone here made cans like these, or any one have any opinions?
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-18-2004, 12:28 PM Reply   
I did. They turned out really good and sounded identical to $600 polished aluminum bling-bling cans.
Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-18-2004, 1:34 PM Reply   
cool, the white would look better on my boat anyway.

any pics or suggestions?
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       03-18-2004, 1:47 PM Reply   
I could hook you up with a pair of white powdercoated aluminum cans (without speakers and clamps) for $200. Basically copies of the Mako cans.
Old     (drunkmonkey)      Join Date: Jun 2003       03-18-2004, 2:35 PM Reply   
thanks, but I'm thinking if the PVC route sounds just as good, or close...I can probably do it myself for much cheaper. thanks though.

being on a budget sucks...lottery draws again Saturday though.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-18-2004, 2:41 PM Reply   
Hey monkey, I was looking at doing the same thing, but after looking at nvs1.net, i am convinced 8's with horns are the way to go over skimpy 6's that you can't even hear while riding. I just need a tower to put them on!
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-18-2004, 2:44 PM Reply   
I've just finished mine, they look and sound pretty good, but I put a good bit of work into them. The paint job could have been a little smoother, but I was just ready to get through with them. I'll try and post some photos.
Old     (mississippireb)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-18-2004, 2:48 PM Reply   
http://www.malibuboatowners.com/forums/index.php?&act=Garage&CODE=14&type=garage_gallery& id=586

http://www.malibuboatowners.com/forums/index.php?&act=Garage&CODE=14&type=garage_mod&id=2 36
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       03-18-2004, 2:49 PM Reply   
Mark, I be Duane could figure out a to mount a Entity 808 to a pylon if you have one. I haven't seen many sweet pylon setups, but it think that would look pretty sic.

Drunk Monkey,

I also played around with some PVC options as well. A 6" PVC endcap with a 6" piece of pvc pibe slid/glued into it and cut off flush fits a MB quart 6.5" perfectly and resembles a titan bullet enclosure.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-18-2004, 3:29 PM Reply   
But for the $1000 I would spend on an Entity, I would buy a tower instead. Gotta make the scratch before you can spend it is what I always say.
Old     (mc_driver)      Join Date: Jan 2002       03-18-2004, 9:32 PM Reply   
The speakers in those PVC pipes on the DIY website are RF HPC1206(6 1/2") I did assemble them with just the endcap, but there was too much distortion at high volumes. They sound so much better with the coupler. The total cost (incl speakers) to build those enclosures was less than $150.

The original post was on the other site(wb) back in April of last year..

Ral
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       03-19-2004, 7:42 AM Reply   
Instead of using an end cap, I used a sheet of 1/2" plastic. Cut out two circles and epoxied them. After I sanded and painted them, you can't see any seems and they don't leak any sound at all.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       03-19-2004, 11:13 AM Reply   
Anyone know if they make 8" PVC?
Old     (the_madness)      Join Date: May 2003       03-19-2004, 11:21 AM Reply   
I've never seen 8" PVC, but for fun once I got some 8" dia concrete forms (thick round cardboard tubes), cut them about 10" in length and made a plywood endcap that fit in the inner diameter on one end and a ring that fit in the inner diameter of the other end. I then wrapped the whole thing in fiberglass and then smoothed it out with bondo. I came out prety cool, but it took quite a few hours and made quite a mess just to make one can. Sorry I don't have any pics of this one.

Also, I noticed that from tube to tube the 8" forme vary up to 3/4" in diameter, so if you try something like this bring a tape measure and pick the diameter you want, then make sure the tube is longe enough that you can cut all of your enclosures out of it so they will all be the same size.
Old     (jmanjohn)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-19-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
I think I will share, Not the best looking but they sound pretty darn good, And pretty inexpensive.
Cans were built at the local sheet metal shop powder coating done by the shop next door mounts are from rhino gear used from a wake world member. Amp is a PPI 4800 and electronic crossover added to eliminate some of the base to help with distortion. No question can be heard behind the boat. Trial and error By Myself and Scottay, Who has made a similar pair. Speakers are Crystals Less then $400 invested (+ amp)
|image{im000439}
Old     (jmanjohn)      Join Date: Nov 2001       03-20-2004, 5:48 PM Reply   
That May not have sounded the way I had meant, I meant they are not polished or the best looking, their a lot of "home made speakers" posted lately that are really nice looking. Mine do not compete in that category.